new comics?

Discussion of, and other things related directly to, original Spamusement comics.

new comics?

Postby moxcord » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:59 pm

when do we get new ones!!!??
moxcord
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Postby Chrono Crow » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:45 pm

As soon as Stevenf is resurrected. :o
quetzalcoatlus wrote:You should always make sure that all your important pussy cheese and uncle-rapist is backed up, in case your computer crashes.
Chrono Crow
Spam King

Postby Zöltuger » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:49 pm

maybe his isp installed a spam filter, so he no longer gets any unsolicited emails...
Zöltuger
Refinanced Your Mortgage

Postby Chrono Crow » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:11 pm

Or the sex is really good.
quetzalcoatlus wrote:You should always make sure that all your important pussy cheese and uncle-rapist is backed up, in case your computer crashes.
Chrono Crow
Spam King

Postby smrq » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:13 pm

Hell, even mediocre.

(Not that I'm saying it is, Stevenf.)
smrq
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby nowhereman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:35 pm

*tear* one month today
nowhereman
Reserved a Satellite Dish System For You

Postby mulpis » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:02 am

For real. My hubby and I LOVE this crap! He is in the army; we haven't seen each other since October, and he has no internet access. I always print out the new ones and mail them to him, then he sends them back to me with cute little comments scribbled on them about how funny they are. (There, stevenf, I hope I have sufficiently guilted you into drawing up some more comics for us!)

--Em
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby stevenf » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:47 pm

Oh man, you are all breaking my heart... Seriously.

Basically, I am having a massive creative block as far as Spamusement is concerned. There are a number of factors:

1. I made a conscious decision in January that I really wanted to focus as much energy on my business as possible, and Spamusement is not my business. :?

2. Spamusement is kind of a one-trick pony, and the joke is wearing a little thin for me. After doing hundreds of these suckers, it no longer seems novel or amusing to me in many cases, unless I can nail a humorous facial expression or something.

3. I'm too picky. I spent literally like 3 or 4 hours last night trying to come up with a new comic to post today, and rejected all my ideas. I won't post a comic if I think it's "not funny enough", or if I think it's going to cross the good-taste boundary for too many people.

4. My subject lines just haven't been that interesting lately. I keep getting variations of the same thing over and over again. And since all spam is inherently so thematically similar (mortgages, pills, sex...) I'm running out of unique ways to frame what is basically the same gag.

So, uh, I guess those are my excuses?

A truly good Spamusement requires just the right combination of subject line, me being in just the right mood, and being able to draw what I had in mind. Otherwise it's a clunker, and if I posted the clunkers, you wouldn't enjoy it, believe me. :)

I don't really feel like I'm "done" with Spamusement, but I also don't know what it's going to take to get me back in the groove, or how long that's going to take.

I'm also still debating this idea of starting another strip that's not spam related -- either just random gags, or maybe recurring characters or storylines like a "regular" comic. It would be nice to be free of the constraints of having to work only with spam lines. But it's not like that's going to solve the free-time problem.

So, uh, there you have it. It's kind of "on hold", but it's not really "dead". I feel quite guilty about creating this thing that everyone loves and then disappearing. I'm open to suggestions!
stevenf
Exalted Founder and Grand Poobah

Postby giantsfan97 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:56 pm

I can totally understand Steven F's position, personally I enjoy the guest comics (and the people who read them) as much as I liked his comics.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:10 pm

There's no point in Stevenf tainting the good record. May the break continue until something worthy emerges.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Chrono Crow » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:43 pm

I agree with James. The comics are great, but I prefer quality over quantity. And I'm satisfied with the guest strips, for now.:)
Chrono Crow
Spam King

Postby chrismachine » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:39 pm

well speaking of guest strips, and if Stevenf is open to suggestions, may I make a suggestion that a weekly favorite guest strip be either posted or re-done for the main site, and regular spamusements come as they may?
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Lambs_Cows_Lambs » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:37 pm

Agreed. And possibly MR.F (sorry Arrested Development reference), if you're having a lot of trouble finding the right subject line, look at the subject line submissions.. I mean there ARE some really great ones in there.
James wrote:And so we return to one of life's essential questions... which is worse: being burnt to death by a dragon or being raped by the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man?
Lambs_Cows_Lambs
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby themcnasty » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:58 pm

Idea

Put a new spin on 'Spamusement' and create all your strips while intoxicated. Dreadfully intoxicated. That would be great.
themcnasty

Postby chrismachine » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:57 am

Lambs_Cows_Lambs wrote:Agreed. And possibly MR.F (sorry Arrested Development reference), if you're having a lot of trouble finding the right subject line, look at the subject line submissions.. I mean there ARE some really great ones in there.
I agree with Mr Wendel here. (sorry, a different arrested development reference, and if you know what I mean, I bet you struggle as to whether or not to be insulted!)

themcnasty wrote: total crap
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby nowhereman » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:13 am

Well I as a reader am quite satisfied with your explanation;

It has given me hours of entertainment, and all the the generosity of this guy who appeared to me to have nothing better to do than sign up for mail lists and sort through his spam.

Thank you.
nowhereman

Postby mulpis » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:07 am

See, now you are making me feel guilty for trying to make you feel guilty. I think we need therapy.

--Em
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby wildcard9 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:26 am

Taking a break because you are burned out is fine. That is actually a good idea. Thanks for letting us know this was not just a wedding plans or honeymoon extended break.
wildcard9
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Postby traubster » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:31 am

chrismachine wrote:well speaking of guest strips, and if Stevenf is open to suggestions, may I make a suggestion that a weekly favorite guest strip be either posted or re-done for the main site, and regular spamusements come as they may?

This is a great idea. There are plenty of quality guest strips on this board that the non-board-visiting fans of Spamusement! are missing out on. You've done guest strips before, so why not do fan-based guest strips? We could have a contest to decide which ones are worthy of going up or you could just peruse a bit and find ones you think are main site material.
"Not every moment can be awesome."
traubster
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby stevenf » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:16 pm

I am totally on-board with the idea of posting a select few guest strips from the forum to the main page. They have to be really really good, funny ones though.

I haven't been following the guest strips forum religiously, so please feel free to email or PM me with links to your favorites.
stevenf
Exalted Founder and Grand Poobah

Oh, how's about we start a thread! Oh, I will!

Postby traubster » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:38 pm

Ok, I'll make thread!
traubster
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby giantsfan97 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:43 pm

stevenf wrote:I am totally on-board with the idea of posting a select few guest strips from the forum to the main page. They have to be really really good, funny ones though.

I haven't been following the guest strips forum religiously, so please feel free to email or PM me with links to your favorites.

anything made by bottlecap
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby smrq » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:53 pm

Basically, that sums it up. Dween also.
smrq
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby traubster » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:54 pm

Yo, look at the thread I just made. This should be fun.
traubster
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Chris » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:58 pm

I have lots of spam. Currently I have 406. I'm aiming for 1000....
Chris
FIRST POST LOL OMG N00B

Next

Return to The Original Spamusements!