What is so funny??

Discussion of, and other things related directly to, original Spamusement comics.

What is so funny??

Postby GambogeSandman » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:53 am

My German boyfriend doesn't understand what in these comics has me in absolute stitches. It's definitely the language barrier, but help me out--what do you think all of Steven F's comics have in common that make them so ridiculously hilarious? Irony? Sarcasm? Deferred expectations? Is there some simple element that masterfully explains the hilarity of it all? <Massive sigh> So many laughs must be good for the soul.
GambogeSandman
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Postby jeffseadot » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:14 am

Literal interpretations are a big part of the humor. Deferred expectations are a part of that. If you want to give your German boyfriend an example of how it's funny, offer up a German colloquialism and then take it as literally as you can.
Inside. On top.
jeffseadot
Wears a Rolex Replica

Postby Chrono Crow » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:45 am

^What he said. Only without all the big words.
Chrono Crow
Spam King

Postby James » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:43 pm

Chrono Crow wrote:^What he said. Only without all the big words.

Uh... Colloquialism?
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby supai » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:49 pm

It definitely has to do with literal interpretations, but I have read that most humor comes from the tension between what you expect will happen, and what actually happens. I like the way it is set up so that you first read the subject line, which gives you a chance to imagine what the message is, and then click on it to see what stevenf has done with it. Brilliant. If you just saw the whole thing at the same time, it would still be funny, but not quite as much.
supai
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

German stuff.

Postby Soulcoffr » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:20 pm

jeffseadot wrote:Literal interpretations are a big part of the humor. Deferred expectations are a part of that. If you want to give your German boyfriend an example of how it's funny, offer up a German colloquialism and then take it as literally as you can.

I would suggest, "Die Morgen Stunde had Gold im Munde." Which is a German colloquialism that has interesting imagery. Literally translated into English, the phrase says, "The morning hour has gold in it's mouth."

Or the equivalent of "The early bird gets the worm."

I'm not sure how Steven F would handle this one, but I think that might give your boyfriend the gist...
Soulcoffr
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

you see....

Postby the ryanator » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:32 pm

The thing that makes them so funny IS what all of these people said, but, the facial expressions on the characters is what takes them over the top.
the ryanator
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Career opportunities

Postby mt_hah1954 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:23 pm

dont now where to place this message, but i've found some page OLD LINK for career opportunity may be it will be helpful ?
mt_hah1954
FIRST POST LOL OMG N00B

Postby Chrono Crow » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:32 pm

Stop spamming, plz kthxdie.
quetzalcoatlus wrote:You should always make sure that all your important pussy cheese and uncle-rapist is backed up, in case your computer crashes.
Chrono Crow
Spam King

Re: Career opportunities

Postby traubster » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:35 pm

mt_hah1954 wrote:dont now where to place this message, but i've found some page OLD LINK for career opportunity may be it will be helpful ?

I think he's referring specifically to you and James. Maybe it's not spam, but someone being genuinely helpful? You are both apparently still unemplyed, afterall.
"Not every moment can be awesome."
traubster
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby apronymaniac » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:32 pm

It's kind of funny how having a university diploma leads to being unemployed.
apronymaniac
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby nowhereman » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:58 pm

This one has me every single time I see it, its definitely the face, and the mitts, but it could probably translate. It is a simile expression that intimates a sexual connotation, but instead makes everyone smile
http://spamusement.com/index.php/comics/view/288

And the above is a spammer; Somone figured out a spambot for forums. My friend's forum's newest member is jtfoe1974 and it is a private site. Stevenf you might have decide to "activate" an account before allowing access and posting. Its a pain for the email box but if this bot continues or more pop up it could be the doom of php forums.
nowhereman
Reserved a Satellite Dish System For You

Return to The Original Spamusements!