So What's Next?

All things Spamuser related! Talk about the forums, the wiki or your ideas for the site.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Re: So What's Next?

Postby PonderThis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:19 am

OK my two cents.

Yeah this really brings back the whole "star" fiasco thing to mind. Also, quite frankly I think we have too few posters right now. If some post gets three people who follow up with "+1", "like", and "me too", it's not going to overwhelm the board.

Also, it's not built in as a standard feature and I really don't want to go digging around the phpbb site to find a mod.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Here's what I was thinking...

PonderThis wrote:Yeah this really brings back the whole "star" fiasco thing to mind.

Yes, but there is no dislike, or bad rating. While it could be kind of offputting if you get few or none or whatever, it could be counterbalanced by actual word feedback, and it's also unlikely if you draw a comic that nobody will like it. You could also disable showing of who thanked and how many thanks/likes people gave, etc. and just show the # of thanks/likes.

PonderThis wrote:Also, quite frankly I think we have too few posters right now.

Posters, yes, but people still visit and not always have time to make full out comments on things. This would be a twofold thing where you could like something and come back later to see that you like something and comment on it. Or you could just like it if you don't have time or can't think of anything other than, "I like this" which to some is a waste of a post if three other people said that already.

PonderThis wrote:Also, it's not built in as a standard feature and I really don't want to go digging around the phpbb site to find a mod.
EvilJekyll wrote:What do you guys think of a Thanks/like option
That's not it?
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:45 pm

Is there a way to see which users have been online in the last 24 hours, last 7 days and so on?

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Seems like 24 hours, yes.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

Null

Postby Null » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:27 pm

It's long past the time when this board should expire. I'm going to do my part.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: Witch; Seaon of the Witch; Witchboard; The Witches of Eastwick; Witchery; Hocus Pocus

Postby Skimba » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Null wrote:It's long past the time when this board should expire. I'm going to do my part.

? :(
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:12 pm

I don't see why it should have a time to expire if people still want to come. I know I do, but there will be a lot less to see without you. It's a rough patch right now, but I love seeing your stuff and just get comfort from visiting. I truly hope you end up missing this place if you do go, and that you will come back.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Null wrote:It's long past the time when this board should expire. I'm going to do my part.

By continuing to produce the incredibly high quality content that we've come to know and love?

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:33 pm

Not that anyone would miss me, but I'd miss this place. I'm sure Null didn't mean that, it was a typo I'm sure.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:24 pm

I'm getting a lot of error messages at the top of the page now. The page loads normally, but the top part is entirely taken up by repeating lines such as:

' Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/spamusers/www/www/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 483'

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Yeah, ditto. No idea what it means though, I'm not good at php.
My Spamusements!

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:45 pm

looks like this:

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: Witch; Seaon of the Witch; Witchboard; The Witches of Eastwick; Witchery; Hocus Pocus

Postby Skimba » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:27 am

Yes. And the size font is screwy on mine whenever I reply.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:06 am

My guess is that an update broke some code that was previously working before. Probably the php engine was updated before the forum code or vice versa. We will have to wait for Ponder to fix this, since I don't think anyone else has the access to the host server...
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Not sure if it's related, but I tried logging in from a different computer than the one I usually use and it said I logged in but it did not let me get past that page without a login prompt. I'm permanently logged in at home so I can still post, but until this error thing started I was able to log in from other machines.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:45 pm

POOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:11 am

Hi, everyone! Sorry, haven't been checking in so often lately. UPDATE: OK things are really screwed up, now I can't even log in. You're seeing this text via a direct database update which I gotta tell you is a royal pain in the ass. For further updates, go back to the Spamusers.com Home Page and follow the big-ass link at the top of the page. UPDATE2: Updating the forums NOW.

EDIT: Hard-links to the emergency note page have now been removed, but they all linked to this page for anyone that wants to read up on what I did.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:20 am

Are we back? I think we're back. I'll post a bit more here in a few minutes once I'm sure.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:22 am

Seems to be okay now!
My Spamusements!

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:55 am

OK, so here's what happened: Our web host upgraded our server from PHP 5.3 to PHP 5.5 back on December 7, which resulted in all the screwy stuff you saw. It also left the wiki down as well. I'll try and get to that soon.

I've updated our phpBB software from v3.0.4 to v3.0.14, which required very little work to get going. A couple of edits here and there and everything seems to be exactly the same as it was.

Nevertheless, to keep from being bonked on the head by something like this I should try and keep up-to-date. And to do that, I've got some more work to do. You see, v3.0.14 is not the latest version of phpBB. It's just the latest of the v3.0.x line. The actual latest version is 3.1.6, and there are apparently quite a few differences between the two.

The good news here is as far as I can tell we have almost no actual php code customization, it's all pretty much in the styles. The bad news is apparently styles got a major overhaul from v3.0.x to v3.1.x. So over the next week or so I'll work on styles. Once that's done I'll make an announcement letting everyone know when I'll be upgrading to the latest software. During that process the boards will be down, of course, but hopefully it won't take me much more than a few hours to do.

Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 pm

THANK YOU PONDER!!!!! Don't be a stranger, 'k? :wink:

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:25 pm

After reading and rereading the huge page on upgrading the wiki, it seems like the upgrade itself boils down to two very simple things: Upload the new files, run the upgrade script.

BUT: Extensions. It seems we use three:

CharInsert
I'm not sure what it does or how we use it, but there's an up-to-date version sitting there on the mediawiki site. But it says it requires the Gadgets extension, which we currently do not use. So ... maybe we can do without it?

ParserFunctions
Used for all those custom tags we have. Fortunately it says it is automatically bundled with the wiki package so this basically should just come along for the ride.

Auth_phpBB
We used this to maintain a single login for both the forums and the wiki. The mediawiki page for this extension says it is unmaintained, plus someone has added a section that explicitly states it has problems with PHP 5.5. However the author chimed in to say basically yes, he has abandoned the project but does suggest an alternative:

Phpbb Single Sign-On
Says it is "very beta", but seems to be relatively recent. I guess I'll just have to make it work.

Since it looks like I'm going to have to do some work here to re-integrate the wiki with the phpBB login, I'm going to put fixing the wiki on the shelf. I don't want to do a lot of work to make the new plug-in work only to find I have to do all the work over when I later upgrade phpBB to its latest version.

So: Update the forum first, then go back and get the wiki up-to-date.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:26 pm

Skimba wrote:THANK YOU PONDER!!!!! Don't be a stranger, 'k? :wink:

Thank you, Marceline. ;)

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:38 pm

You are a forum rock-god of the highest order :)

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:21 am

Now that it's down I all of a sudden want to check what version of wiki we have. From Ponder's note it sounds like MediaWiki, which I HATE HATE HATE because of their circular "help" sections. But yes, in general it boils down to: make a backup; run the update script; hope it still works when you're done; good luck finding help on the software's home page because you're better off using google instead. Luckily we managed to get rid of three out of eight wikis at work, and two of those are not up to me to maintain. Good luck Ponder! Hope you weren't too busy with other stuff!

Return to “Spamusers!”