The Wiki Is Here! The Wiki Is Here!

All things Spamuser related! Talk about the forums, the wiki or your ideas for the site.

The Wiki Is Here! The Wiki Is Here!

Postby PonderThis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Jek and I are in the process of moving the Wiki over to this website. We've had a number of minor issues come up but we're almost there. We were, in fact, waiting to announce the move until the new wiki was ready, but since it has come up, I thought I should mention this.

Please do not make any changes to the old wiki, you will lose your changes! In fact, we had taken the old wiki down so that you couldn't do this, but then we had a problem with settings and Jek had to bring the old wiki back up and ... well I won't bore you with the details. Just please don't do anything on the wiki just at the moment. We're very close to getting the new one working.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Re: The Wiki Is Coming! The Wiki Is Coming!

Postby Binkatron5000 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:27 pm

WOORGH!

Thanks so much for all your hard work, guys. There is no <3 emoticon so have a CS instead: :n/
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:02 pm

Okay, so apparently there's a point after which changes will be lost. What is that point expected to be?

I only ask because I made some changes recently (adding strips to my page and some character pages), and I want to know if I should be backing them up in, like, Notepad or something.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Nyperold wrote:Okay, so apparently there's a point after which changes will be lost. What is that point expected to be?

I only ask because I made some changes recently (adding strips to my page and some character pages), and I want to know if I should be backing them up in, like, Notepad or something.

After April 2nd. Any changes made after that can easily just be copied and pasted into the new wiki, we'll take the old wiki page down once we have everything 100%, but the new oneshould be workable (I think it's open to you guys. Ponder?).
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby PonderThis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:02 pm

The wiki looks good and ready to go. I just edited my own page to add a cartoon with no problem.

One thing we've done is tie into the Forum username/password validation routine. The module we're using to do this is set up so you have to also be part of the "Wiki" user group. I went ahead and listed out all the top Wiki users (everyone who has made more than 2 edits) and added you to the Wiki group. If you're not sure if you've been added to the Wiki group or not just go to your User Control Panel and click on "Usergroups". Everyone will see themselves as a member of "Registered Users". If you're in the Wiki group you'll see that listed immediately below that.

If you're not in the Wiki group, you'll see yourself listed under "Non-memberships". To join, just click the button in the "Select" column, make sure the drop-down below that is on "Join Selected" and hit "Submit".

We found a minor problem with this for those of us already with Wiki accounts in that the wiki does case-sensitive user ID's and the forum doesn't, even though it obviously stores upper/lower case. I think I've edited the user table in the wiki database to work for everyone -- well, it works for me and Jek now anyways. If you have trouble logging in, let me know.

Oh, and even though it has moved, Jek is still Wikimaster Deluxe! Which means he's still the main man to go to if you want to talk Wiki issues. :)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Re: The Wiki Is Here! The Wiki Is Here!

Postby chrismachine » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:13 pm

Ok, I guess I'm not in there... and when I clicked to create an account it took me here, lol!

I tried to look for "non-memberships" and it wasn't anywhere on the main page, which is normal for me because I'm incapable of navigating that wiki for some reason. I can't even find normal stuff I should be able to get to quickly, so I know it's me, not the setup.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Use the search bar on the left hand side?

Also, User Control Panel at the top of your screen on the forums, next to members. Then on the left side, under the options menu, click usergroups (underneath private messages.) Then click on the checkbox and select join selected and click submit.
Last edited by EvilJekyll on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EsBe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:23 pm

MediaWiki search is one of the few searches that's actually worse than PHPBB's, in that it either returns half of the wiki's pages, or none at all.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:25 pm

I think it depends partially on how people title the pages and the general editing style of the wikis that makes them more or less searchable/navigatable.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Nyperold » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Well, I can't speak for anyone else's strips, but I've added mine to the relevant character pages.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Nyperold wrote:Well, I can't speak for anyone else's strips, but I've added mine to the relevant character pages.

As have I been doing.

You know, for someone using the name Judas I have an awfull lot of comics involving Jesus. :P

EDIT: I tried making the Einstein page, but I got a database error. :( What am I doing wrong?
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:34 pm

If you post the specific text message you're getting I'll know more about how to take care of the error. Thanks.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Error wrote:A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL query hidden)
from within function "IndexPager::reallyDoQuery (LogPager)". MySQL returned error "1146: Table 'paint19_Wiki.Wiki_tag_summary' doesn't exist (localhost)".
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 pm

So uh... you're using http://www.spamusers.com/Wiki , right?
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby PonderThis » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:49 am

Jek had already suggested that I should add a Main Page link and Wiki link in the nav bar, and that would certainly help clear up any Wiki URL confusion. So I have. Its location varies depending on the board style you're using but you should find the Wiki link to the immediate left of the FAQ link in all cases.

Judas, please give it another try and let me know if you're still getting errors.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Okay, following that link up there worked. I'll also have to redo all the putting my comics in. I is gud at this. :|
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Ponder has to change edit name in the wiki as well, so you have credit for your previous contributions to the wiki.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby PonderThis » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:17 pm

EvilJekyll wrote:Ponder has to change edit name in the wiki as well, so you have credit for your previous contributions to the wiki.

Well darn it I thought I had done that but apparently I hadn't because sure enough there were two different user records in there. GAH. OK, I updated the original rec for Judas and deleted the duplicate.

Er, not that any of this should affect you in anyway, Judas, just bookkeeping ... :)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:29 am

In the slow slow process of moving the old telephone pictionary pages into the wiki, as Ponder thinks it would be more convenient there, and actually seeing it in the wiki I agree.

Also, at the initiative of Null, there is now a Pets list.

Also also, would you guys like a forum tag like [wiki]link here[/wiki], that would allow you to just type the page name in between the tag and it would bring you to that wiki page, instead of putting in the url each time?

Any other suggestions for the wiki are welcome.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby PonderThis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:45 am

Yeah I'm liking the idea of being able to do something like
Code: Select all
[wiki]Troy Powell[/wiki]
... let's see what happens.

:arrow: Troy Powell
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby ImaTestUser » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:55 am

Hello. I am interested in 100% off items. What about God?
ImaTestUser
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Postby ImaTestUser » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:26 pm

=The More You Know
ImaTestUser
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Postby PonderThis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:27 pm

While I was at it, I added a wimg code for wiki images. :)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Nyperold » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:02 pm

I've now separated my List of Spamusings by Nyperold, mainly because I was getting a size warning. (The list itself is approaching the 32kb size that causes some browsers problems. I may have to split it again, like 1-250 and 251-present or whatever.

I've also created Category:Lists of Spamusings.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:44 pm

I generally just ignored that warning, since it might become too troublesome to split up long pages, and that number seemed rather arbitrary. I dunno though, it's really up to you guys.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Next

Return to Spamusers!