And Unto the Land a New Style Didst Appear

All things Spamuser related! Talk about the forums, the wiki or your ideas for the site.

And Unto the Land a New Style Didst Appear

Postby PonderThis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:44 pm

Whew! I gotta tell you, making this new Spamuser style took a bit longer than I thought it would. For those of you who thought I've been ignoring requests for the last two weeks or so, I've actually been working on a new board style. Well OK a lot of that time was starting, deciding I didn't like it, and starting again. But still.

So anyways, if you want to try it out, and for those of you who have forgotten, go to: User Control PanelBoard preferencesMy board style: and select "Spamuser". The layout is basically the same as the default "prosilver" so if you're like me and hate the user-info-on-the-right business, bear with me and I'll eventually work up an alternate version that does just that. Also there are still a few visual elements that need tweaking. The EDIT and QUOTE buttons in particular are just a bit off. Let me know what you find.

Oh and as an interesting note, all the icons on the navigation bar are based on spamusement cartoons. Twenty spamusement bucks to the first person who can identify them all! :D
PonderThis
Site Admin

Re: And Unto the Land a New Style Didst Appear

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:52 pm

The dog from mcclausfield, eggplant mike, payday and snickers, cat flap
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby PonderThis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Based on original spamusement cartoons, that is.

The list of images in the nav bar:
Line 1: (_______) Board index ... (_______) Print Icon, (_______) Email Friend Icon
Line 2: (_______) User Control Panel ... (_______) Home, (_______) Wiki, (_______) FAQ, (_______) Members, (_______) Logout

All the images are related to the subject they describe, although some are only vaguely related. Except for the Print Icon, I couldn't find anything vaguely appropriate so I used a (HINT COMING UP) toaster.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:44 pm

OK, just so you know before trying the style: I seem to have one big annoyance. When you enter or edit a post, there are supposed to be style buttons which appear below Subject and above the big text edit box. B for Bold, I for italic, etc. Well they're missing. I'm trying to hunt it down but the code all seems to be there, but for some reason just isn't working. Gaaaah that's not even something I customized!

Of course, you can still enter B and I tags and so forth manually.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 pm

The list of images in the nav bar:
Line 1: (You need a new watch) Board index ... (You cannot do that!) Print Icon, (You have received a postcard!) Email Friend Icon
Line 2: (Never been easier) User Control Panel ... (house and the sheds) Home, (Hey you totally forgot!!) Wiki, (MASSAGE FROM SULLY) FAQ, (Dont ignore this notice) Members, (*** Security Issues ***) Logout

Quote to see, I don't want to ruin it for the others.

Hold on, now I see the images, they're not there when you click post reply.
Last edited by EvilJekyll on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby sum yun gai » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:38 pm

EvilJekyll wrote:The list of images in the nav bar:
Line 1: (You need a new watch) Board index ... (You cannot do that!) Print Icon, (You have received a postcard!) Email Friend Icon
Line 2: (Never been easier) User Control Panel ... (house and the sheds) Home, (Hey you totally forgot!!) Wiki, (MASSAGE FROM SULLY) FAQ, (Dont ignore this notice) Members, (*** Security Issues ***) Logout

Hold on, now I see the images, they're not there when you click post reply.

aren't employees exempt from these types of contests? :P
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Psh, I had no idea what he was doing. Also I don't actually do anything for the forums, although I was offered and declined moderatorship since it's traditionally voted upon. The wiki was kinda me taking over the project that catass and others started and turned it into an actual wiki and something more usable/user friendly.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Dusk » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:42 am

I really like it. Well done, Ponder.

My only suggestions would be some colour for the new posts icon and the icons to be a little bigger (I'm at 1440x900) OH GOD WHERE HAVE THE ICONS GONE IN REPLY MODE? I didn't understand what Mr Jek was talking about before. Now I do.

Just out of interest, is there a PHPBB template specifically for iPhones/Safari?

Edit: also, the smilies don't work when you click their icons. :S
Or type them in :(
Ok. Maybe just the new ones.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 am

EvilJekyll wrote:The list of images in the nav bar ...
Holy moly. You are 100% correct! :o

However you do not qualify for the prize as you were my seekrit giftee last xmas and you got your spamuser bucks then.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 am

Dusk Bringer wrote:I really like it. Well done, Ponder.
Thanks!
Dusk Bringer wrote:also, the smilies don't work when you click their icons.
Gaaaaah!

I'm guessing this is a phpBB version thing. I downloaded a style from phpBB to edit into this style so I'm guessing it's made for the latest version, which is 3.0.7 and we're on 3.0.5. You wouldn't think 0.0.2 would be that much of a difference ...

So, I guess I have a conundrum. Try to figure out the changes and "down-edit" this new style, or go ahead and upgrade to the latest phpBB.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:43 am

Ah, it is rather nice. Well, except for all the stuff being on the right. HOT BITTER TEARS
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby sum yun gai » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:58 am

ntw3001 wrote:Ah, it is rather nice. Well, except for all the stuff being on the right. HOT BITTER TEARS

just go into your display properties and rotate your screen 180 degrees and everyone will be on the left again!

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Seriously, though, once I get everything straightened out with this style (which may take a while), I plan on offering an alternate version with the user stuff on the left LIKE GOD INTENDED.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:58 pm

I really love this style Ponder, you've done a fine job. Just a shame about the whole 'user info on the right', so back to SkyLineBlue for now.
MysticalDescent

Postby PonderThis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 am

MysticalDescent wrote:I really love this style Ponder, you've done a fine job. Just a shame about the whole 'user info on the right', so back to SkyLineBlue for now.
I understand.

Meanwhile, I've fixed the missing-style-buttons and clicking on the smilies now works again. I was indeed the presence of some 3.0.7 stuff in the editor php file that was screwing things up. The post editor looks OK now.

So if anyone finds anything else let me know. Once I work the kinks out on this style I want to make it the default style.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri May 07, 2010 10:25 am

OK I've run under this style for a week or so now so I think it's ready for the big time. I'm making it the DEFAULT STYLE.

This won't mean anything to any of you existing spamusers when you're logged in, as your account will still be set to whatever style you've set it to, or if you never customized it it will stay on the old ProSilver style. You all should only notice any change if you do not keep the "stay logged in" box checked, in which case you'll see the new style when you're not logged in.

EDIT: Well that's what it SHOULD HAVE done, but it didn't. EDIT EDIT: FIXT!
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Dusk » Fri May 07, 2010 10:31 am

rawhide
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Nyperold » Fri May 07, 2010 2:00 pm

Yeah, I saw it. I like it, except for the whole "info on the right" thing. It wouldn't be a problem for me if it didn't chop off the right sides of images.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby PonderThis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:00 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Ah, it is rather nice. Well, except for all the stuff being on the right.
MysticalDescent wrote:... shame about the whole 'user info on the right' ...
Nyperold wrote:I like it, except for the whole "info on the right" thing.

Hey guys guess what I did? Hint: Check the style list!
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:23 pm

I don't see a link to the features page yet. :P
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby PonderThis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Well it would've been less work to add that first before I copied the Spamusers theme over to Spamusers (Left Profile). Ironically I hadn't done it yet because it's so much work to go in and edit each and every theme ...
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby chrismachine » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Love the big "online" banner for users, but i don't find things like new posts stand out. Haven't seen a new topic yet, so we'll see. I'm on the fence, lol. I do enjoy the new images at the top, however. :)
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby sum yun gai » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 am

aw man, after i finally got used to all that "right side info" thing too....

sum yun gai

Postby PonderThis » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:47 am

sum yun gai wrote:aw man, after i finally got used to all that "right side info" thing too....

Yeah I'm thinking I may actually switch back now that I've gotten used to it.

Speaking of the original it was supposed to have the big "ONLINE" banner all along but I couldn't find why it didn't work and eventually kinda gave up on it. While following the phpbb instructions for creating the "profiles on left" style I happened to run across it and fixed it in both Spamuser styles.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Skimba » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:40 am

Since the original changes, I've been using Hestia and the avatars, etc have been on the left, as well as a banner of "Online" when folks have been.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Next

Return to Spamusers!