Saw them all

All things Spamuser related! Talk about the forums, the wiki or your ideas for the site.

Saw them all

Postby OP Tipping » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:39 pm

Okay, so I went back and looked at all the threads. Every last one, right back to September 2005. We have about 9000 threads now. A lot of these have more than one cartoon, so I would think we have over 10000 cartoons. Aren't you ashamed?

I only joined in 2007, and also took something of a hiatus in 2009, so there were a lot of toons I had never seen.

Some general comments:

*Sadly, many cartoons are no longer with us. Are there colder words in the English language than "This image or video has been moved or deleted - photobucket" ? Over a thousand spmsmnts have gone to that great 404 in the sky. Maybe I'll never get to see Innocent little girl is being deflorated by two old monsters, and its wonders shall remain forever legend.

*Even sadder is that some of the great contributors are no longer visiting at all. Pixiewolfe, Veepa, mulpis, Chrono Crow, and many others have fallen by the wayside. Maybe they'll come back. Others blossomed and burned out quickly: Eastbayted threw some quality down over the course of a couple of weeks and then was never seen again. Kim the Prodigious Sponge posted a single excellent spmsmnt and never posted again.

*Towards the end of 2006 we were getting around 30 threads a day.

*That Toilet Woman took a hammering during the first year. So did "stock = livestock" jokes, though people seemed to have tired of those now. It was also quite common for people to post several cartoons in one thread, but that has also fallen out of fashion, except in cases where there is a common link between several spamlines.

*I've listed my favourites on my Wiki page. I've been picky, kept it to only a hundred or so. Probably gives a good clue about the nature of my sense of humour. Some authors appear many times.
OP Tipping
Makes LOLCATS

Re: Saw them all

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Ah, I remember when we were getting that massive number of threads all the time. The downside was that most of them were comics of questionable quality, but at least there were new humans coming in. I rather miss that. How comes back in those times we had all sorts of peoples joining up, but since lifting the portcullis there's still been very little in the way of new folks? It's not like Spamusement itself was any less defunct then than it is now.

Also I will admit that I am going to check your wiki page to see if I made it into your favourites. Probably not because most of the comics I posted early on were dreadful. Actually, now I think about it, most of the comics I've posted throughout my career have been questionable. My signature thing was 'obtuse and unfunny'. Hopefully most people don't remember those comics though.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby OP Tipping » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:48 pm

What portcullis has been lifted?

Yes, you appear on my list a few times. Roland (3) is a fave, especially.
OP Tipping
Makes LOLCATS

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:53 pm

The portcullis that stopped new people registering for a while. Apparently. I'm not entirely clear on that, but I believe it was a last-ditch defence against the tide of spambots. It has been lifted, hasn't it? I'm not entirely clear on that either now.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:57 pm

And he didn't even make wiki pages for the awesome people with awesome spamusements that burned out. :P
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby OP Tipping » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Yeah I'll have to find out how to do that.

There ya go, I just did Kim the Prodigious Sponge. Not that difficult.

When you think about it, she wasn't all that prodigious.
OP Tipping
Makes LOLCATS

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Awesome.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby OP Tipping » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:23 pm

K, and that's PeO and dtk done as well. I hope I didn't screw it all up.
OP Tipping
Makes LOLCATS

Postby Null » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:31 pm

A lot of people left because of the Great Ratings System Plague of '07. That was specifically designed to cut down on the number of comics submitted. Before that, I might submit upwards of 10 a day. After that, well, I behaved. Mostly.

Several people I communicated with felt that the Rating System Plague diminished the value of submitting anything. Instead of a well-thought-out observation or insight, or even helpful criticism, all you got was a varying bunch of stars. What was good about the drawing? What was bad? Who knew? So there was less incentive, which means I guess that the System worked as designed. I started putting more effort into other areas.

Many Commentors, on the other hand, felt that the Rating System made their job easier.

As to other fluctuating members, sometimes they throb uncontrollably, other times they withdraw and are quiet. Spamusement is just like all other forums on the internet--they're a room where people come and go, talking of Michelangelo. Some people stick around for a long time, others feel burnt out in a rather short time, still others feel that the forum either doesn't meet their needs, or used to but no longer does.

Value is where you find it. I could never draw any kind of hats before I started submitting here. Now I can draw hats pretty well.
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Null » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 pm

ntw3001 wrote:The portcullis that stopped new people registering for a while. Apparently. I'm not entirely clear on that, but I believe it was a last-ditch defence against the tide of spambots. It has been lifted, hasn't it? I'm not entirely clear on that either now.

qster is a recent member, as is enfanta.

Of course, enfanta seems to be very quiet in recent weeks. Too bad, her stuff was exceptionally well drawn.
Null

Postby OP Tipping » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:47 pm

This place differs from most yackety-yack forums, though, in that it requires active creative work in order to keep going.

The other thing I discovered on my journey is that Daniel was always silly as a wheel.
OP Tipping
Makes LOLCATS

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:00 pm

OP Tipping wrote:K, and that's PeO and dtk done as well.

Thanks! Good laughs.
OP Tipping wrote:I hope I didn't screw it all up.

The dtk one was a little unorderly, but other than that it was fine.

For future reference, the date format is YYYY--MM--DD--**

** = the number of the comic posted that day (01 for the first, 02 for the second, etc. If there's one comic that day it's not used.)

I am horrible at explaining, so if you have any suggestions to improve the wiki or anything else, let me know.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Binkatron5000 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:56 pm

OP Tipping wrote: Daniel was always silly as a wheel.

I have never heard this expression before, but it is fitting!
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:47 am

OP Tipping wrote:The other thing I discovered on my journey is that Daniel was always silly as a wheel.

I kind of wish he'd started off sensible, and this forum had been a log of his gradual descent into madness.

Null wrote:As to other fluctuating members, sometimes they throb uncontrollably, other times they withdraw and are quiet.

Brilliant.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:53 am

The people getting kind of bored of the forum and going missing bit always confuses me, just because I'm a member of two forums (or, I should say, have been an actively contributing member on two forums) and have just stuck around. I do miss some of the older posters, Veepa and Bottlecap were always hilarious.
MysticalDescent

Postby PonderThis » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:50 am

Oh yeah the "portcullis" thing hurt us. About this time last year Mr. F. upgraded the forum to the latest phpBB and supposedly it had better anti-spambot measures so he got rid of the old math question business and just relied on the built-in measures. Well the built-in phpBB anti-bot measures don't work for poopcakes. I eventually turned off automatic authorization of new sign-ups because we were getting up to a thousand or so a day. OK, usually it was just a handful but every now and then they seem to surge. My original plan had been to keep track of the sign-ups and try to figure out the human beings but it was a hopeless task. So the unactivated accounts just kind of piled up.

Once Steven decided to offload the forums I was able to make changes that allowed the automatic process to go again. It's been far more successful than I thought it would, I'm not sure we've had a single bot get through.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Was there that guy the other day on the 'none of the above' board? Might have been weeks ago. I forget.
MysticalDescent

Postby Null » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:11 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:Was there that guy the other day on the 'none of the above' board? Might have been weeks ago. I forget.

Yeah, he was asking about Mickey Mouse shap'd cereal.
Null

Postby OP Tipping » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:23 am

So are there any moves afoot or plans or ideas for saving these precious spmsmnts for posterity? At the moment so many of them are at the mercy of disreputable hosting sites...
OP Tipping
Makes LOLCATS

Postby Nyperold » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:43 pm

OP Tipping wrote:*Sadly, many cartoons are no longer with us. Are there colder words in the English language than "This image or video has been moved or deleted - photobucket" ? Over a thousand spmsmnts have gone to that great 404 in the sky. Maybe I'll never get to see Innocent little girl is being deflorated by two old monsters, and its wonders shall remain forever legend.

Yeah, that's probably the main reason I haven't done this myself. I'd start, but then I'd be all "Okay, why am I wasting my time when most of these early threads lack the strip itself?" and stop.

OP Tipping wrote:*I've listed my favourites on my Wiki page. I've been picky, kept it to only a hundred or so. Probably gives a good clue about the nature of my sense of humour. Some authors appear many times.

Yeah, I guess so. I wouldn't have thought zcompensate would be on a list of favorites. I can probably think of at least a hundred just of my own that I like better. But then, I'm not you, which is probably a good thing for both of us. :D
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby OP Tipping » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Yeah, it would just get confusing. Plus, it would mean you are now talking to yourself.
OP Tipping
Makes LOLCATS

Postby EsBe » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:06 am

I keep thinking that it would be a good idea to have a forum script run every-so-often that caches images linked in the Guest Strips forum, just for posterity. I too did the whole "look at every comic" thing and was dismayed about 25% of the time.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EvilJekyll » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:32 pm

We had talked about a gallery for the spamusements, but PonderThis had made concerns about bandwidth for his site. I might be able to accomodate something like that on my site, but that's a little awkward.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby DaVince » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Well, if you could, how about doing it on a subdomain with special account details? It'll be separate from your main site and accessible/updateable by a select few, then.
DaVince
Makes LOLCATS

Postby EsBe » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:39 pm

I don't think bandwidth would be a huge problem, because the only time anyone would bother viewing a cached image is when they look for it specifically on the wiki, and its original host doesn't have it anymore.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Return to Spamusers!