Improved Image Display in Certain Styles

All things Spamuser related! Talk about the forums, the wiki or your ideas for the site.

Improved Image Display in Certain Styles

Postby PonderThis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:05 pm

OK, I admit it. I find it quite annoying to have images get cut off on the right side.

As I noted in the "What's Next?" thread, I've found a mod on the phpbb site to change this behavior. The idea is that images that are too large for their allotted width will be resized to fit. There will be a small unobtrusive icon in the upper-left that one can then click on to get the full-sized to appear in a so-called "lightbox".

Note that this only applies to the prosilver style and those styles based on it (proglass and both Spamuser styles). The other styles (subsilver2, Skyline Blue, Hestia, and Milky Way) should be unaffected.

I will be loading mods shortly and implementing it only on the unused proglass style. In theory no other style should be affected but several core phpbb files have had minor edits. If everything goes south, I have made a backup of all the affected files.

STAND BY
PonderThis
Site Admin

Re: Improved Image Display in Certain Styles

Postby PonderThis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:36 pm

The mod has been implemented on the proglass style! So far it appears that it has had no affect on any other style, which is good. If anyone notices any glitches in your normal style please let me know right away.

For those of you on prosilver or either Spamuser style, you may want to preview this feature so you can see what I'm talking about. I am going to leave this feature unimplemented in those styles for the time being to give everyone a chance to check it out and to make sure no glitches affect any other styles.

To check it out, go to: User Control PanelBoard preferencesMy board style: and select "proglass". After choosing that you'll see what I mean by it being sucky. Its most annoying characteristic it has a static (and fairly narrow) width. But that actually works in our favor for testing this feature.

Now check out a spamuser comic such as Null's latest. The comic should be resized to fit in the rather narrow confines granted to it by this style. You can click on the little hourglass icon on the upper-left to see the full-sized image.

Don't forget to change back to your normal style after checking this out. ;)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby EsBe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:03 pm

In prosilver, at least, the width of the layout always stays relative to the window width (good), and when huge images extend beyond the limit, it expands that one post while keeping the other posts their proper size (also good). The only way this could be better, in my opinion, is if big images extended however much they needed to, while keeping the entire page (including the post that contains it) the proper size. I've seen it done but forget how it's done.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Null » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Sorry for the big images. I have a pretty large monitor when I'm at home so I only notice the cutoffs when I'm out of town.

As a further (admittedly ignorant) question, what about scaling back the area where the user info is? (The avatars, etc). It seems like a lot of real estate isn't being used there.

Other than that, the new stuff works great. Thanks, Ponder!
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby PonderThis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:11 pm

EsBe wrote:In prosilver, at least, the width of the layout always stays relative to the window width (good), and when huge images extend beyond the limit, it expands that one post while keeping the other posts their proper size (also good). The only way this could be better, in my opinion, is if big images extended however much they needed to, while keeping the entire page (including the post that contains it) the proper size. I've seen it done but forget how it's done.

I think you mean subsilver2, which does indeed act that way. Since it doesn't cut off images and maintains a good layout even with large images I intend to leave it alone.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Null » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:12 pm

Ah, never mind, it seems it self-scales.
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Return to Spamusers!