The Wiki Thread

All things Spamuser related! Talk about the forums, the wiki or your ideas for the site.

The Wiki Thread

Postby catastrophile » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:27 am

Because it's easier to get y'all's attention here than there.

Wetpaint is pretty nifty so far in most regards, but one problem is that there seems to be no way to fix column widths within tables. Columns are spaced evenly unless there's something to force one wider, resulting in, to be frank, dumb-looking tables.

Anyway. The fix I've come up with is to replace the table headers with images, forcing the columns to the width of the image. But monitors being what they are, I'd like for people to come by Pixie's page and let me know if 450 is too wide for the Titles column image.

More importantly, this brilliant idea leads naturally into folks drawing their own header images, if they're so inclined. So, if we can come up with a standard width that will work for most people, that'll be nifty.

EDIT: Apparently, transparent GIFs are something else that Wetpaint doesn't "do" very well. :evil:
[/bastard]
catastrophile
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby James » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:59 am

The image was displaying higher up than he text, so I restored the text and put a 1px high spacer underneath it. I think that should work OK. I really don't know why they don't just have customisable column width. It's a basic HTML feature. Perhaps they're trying to keep the interface simple or something.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:19 am

I'm gonna try popping some pictures in mine. It looks pretty durn ugly as it is.
It seems I can only navigate the tables made by others via cursor keys. :|
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:35 am

GAH! The whole Red Skivvy Guy table is ruined!
buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'll fix it tomorrow.

Edit: Well.. all the links in the table are still intact. I just can't make them clickyable.
Any ideas?
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby PonderThis » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:15 pm

Yea, I just took a look at it. It's weird; somehow that table is in some special state. Looking at the page source ... well, that'll take a while to debug, and I have a real job to get back to. My brief quicky diagnosis is that this is a bug in the web site software. Maybe catastrophile can find something out ...
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Dusk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:31 pm

PonderThis wrote:Yea, I just took a look at it. It's weird; somehow that table is in some special state. Looking at the page source ... well, that'll take a while to debug, and I have a real job to get back to. My brief quicky diagnosis is that this is a bug in the web site software. Maybe catastrophile can find something out ...

Yeah. it was bizarre.

.. so I did it all again. :D
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby PonderThis » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:51 pm

You re-entered all that?!? Ouchie!

Meanwhile, I've started a character page on Eggplant Mike, if anyone wants to contribute looking up threads and/or correcting any mistakes I've made in the initial description.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby catastrophile » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:45 pm

Wait. What happened?
[/bastard]
catastrophile

Postby Dusk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:55 pm

catastrophile wrote:Wait. What happened?

Well, the entire table full of links was unusable.
Everything was still intact.. it's just that after you saved it and tried to navigate the page, the links weren't clickable.
Strange.
But I re-did the whole thing anyway. Gave me a chance to listen to some old CDs.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby catastrophile » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:17 pm

James wrote:It's a basic HTML feature.

The fact that the whatsit doesn't even recognize <a> tags (for example) indicates that "basic HTML" isn't basic enough. But I tried another free wiki site, and they didn't register manual code either. At least they take hypertext if you paste it in from elsewhere.

. . .

I wonder if I could just paste in a table from an HTML file . . .

Wow, okay, that actually sorta worked. I pulled up a webpage with a table on it, copied and pasted into a Wetpaint page, and the formatting (background colors and column widths) was retained.

So . . . I guess that means that if you're HTML-proficient, you can set your tags as desired, then open the file in a browser window and paste it over. Try it out.

This interface seems goofier the more I learn about it. :P

EDIT: M'kay, it appears that you can paste in a whole table and it will retain the properties of the original, but if you attempt to edit the table structure -- such as by adding rows -- the columns will go back to uniform width. If you set a background color in the <table> tag, however, it will be applied to new lines you create in the editor.
Last edited by catastrophile on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/bastard]
catastrophile

Postby James » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:55 pm

I can see what they're trying to do with the interface, but isn't there a way to access the markup behind it?
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:49 pm

what the hell is wetpaint? what is it for? what are you all doing with it? why has it only come up now?
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby catastrophile » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:55 pm

A build-your-own-wiki site, building your own wiki, building our own wiki, and it came up four days ago -- the day after I started it.
[/bastard]
catastrophile

Postby PonderThis » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:14 pm

I've made a page on Eggplant Mike. I know the list isn't complete, so if anyone recalls a cartoon that didn't make the list, feel free to add it.

I also did a page for Dween in the Spamusers section. I'm fairly confident the list is complete, since the only thing Dween posts is comics. If anyone has a better description, feel free to change what I've written.

chrismachine wrote:what the hell is wetpaint? what is it for? what are you all doing with it? why has it only come up now?
I think that's Chris's way of saying "Wow! What a great idea! I wish I had thought of that!" Or he's just afraid of change. ;)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby catastrophile » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:05 pm

It was suggested a couple of times, and I waited to see if somebody else would take the initiative. Then, grudgingly, I gave in and did it myself.

I'm enjoying the heck out of compiling PixieWolfe's list. Which is lucky, because I've only done a month's worth, and it's . . . Well, see for yourself. I'll probably wind up giving her spamology its own subpage.

By the way, <3 this:
[/bastard]
catastrophile

Postby chrismachine » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:47 pm

PonderThis wrote:I've made a page on Eggplant Mike. I know the list isn't complete, so if anyone recalls a cartoon that didn't make the list, feel free to add it.

I also did a page for Dween in the Spamusers section. I'm fairly confident the list is complete, since the only thing Dween posts is comics. If anyone has a better description, feel free to change what I've written.

chrismachine wrote:what the hell is wetpaint? what is it for? what are you all doing with it? why has it only come up now?
I think that's Chris's way of saying "Wow! What a great idea! I wish I had thought of that!" Or he's just afraid of change. ;)

if you'll check the site, you'll see that this is exactly the case!
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby caboosewasframed » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:31 pm

All I could do with mine was use the (weak) tools they have - if there's any way to hit the actual markup stuff, I'd like to know.
caboosewasframed
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby apronymaniac » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:37 am

Me too!
James wrote:apronymaniac's relentless correctness completely stifles my delusions of superiority.
apronymaniac's spamusements, and more
apronymaniac
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby catastrophile » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:10 pm

You folks (those of you who've registered, at least) have the same toolset I do . . . if none of us has found a way to directly get at the code, we can figure it's not there. The other wiki sites I looked at have an interface that acceptsa sort of pseudo-html, where you can type [http://www.dickwad.com/ like this] and it'll convert it into a link . . . but that interface doesn't recognize standard code or hypertext that's copy-pasted in (all formatting is lost).

So it's a tradeoff. I don't know why these sites don't want to let you at the code, except maybe that limiting the customizability also limits the "help me I f@cked up my site" messages they'll be getting. If anybody knows or wants to find or start a wiki site that accepts code, do it before this thing gets too much larger, and I'll handle the migration myself :P
Last edited by catastrophile on Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/bastard]
catastrophile

Postby James » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm

I think there are free Wikimedia hosts out there, but I'm not sure how good they are.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:48 pm

I think there's enough to get creative with there.
If you want a multimedia extravaganza of your own design, then make your own website, I say.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:22 am

Dusk Bringer wrote:I've been holding back from going ahead and making pages for other people. I mean.. people probably want to make their own.
Maybe if someone wants one done for them, they should say so in this thread.
My biggest problem is that a lot of my best work came in threads that someone else started, but if someone wanted to put some of the ones I made on that site Im ok with that.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby catastrophile » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:29 am

giantsfan97 wrote:if someone wanted to put some of the ones I made on that site

Roffle lemau.

I had no idea your catalogue was so expansive.

After some playing with the forum search, I decided that the easiest thing to do is run a search by post author, choose the "guest strips" forum, set the order to ascending, display results as posts, and show the first 1000 characters.

That makes it pretty easy to scan the results for image urls and just open the relevant pages, and has the advantage of turning up posts that are buried in other people's threads. In this case, I found a character string unique to gf's photobucket account and searched each page of the search results for it, to speed up the job.

D&D was cancelled yesterday. I was bored.
[/bastard]
catastrophile

Postby giantsfan97 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:15 am

Wow! This gets linked to in my sig. Thanks!
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:00 am

catastrophile wrote:expansive

Expansive? Extensive? Expensive!
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Next

Return to Spamusers!