Subject submissions and accidental plagiarism

Did you get a doozy of a spam subject line? Please share!

Subject submissions and accidental plagiarism

Postby stevenf » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:29 am

Hello. I hope you are enjoying the forum so far.

Speaking of the forum, it has presented me with an interesting situation. I created this "subject line submissions" area so I could kind of trawl through quietly and maybe pick up a gem here and there. (cf. eggplant mike)

But what I wasn't completely expecting was that you would all be such talented, creative people who would want to draw your own interpretations of all the subject lines yourselves.

Not only that, but y'all are frequently coming up with the same interpretations of the subject lines that I would have. (cf. eggplant mike)

This is quite a pickle because now it's going to look like I'm just blatantly plagiarising you guys, when in fact I just ended up with something highly similar through my own processes. (cf. eggplant mike)

So, I'm not sure what to do about that.

I don't want to discourage people from drawing their own Spamusements.

I don't want to stop lurking in the forum, and cut myself off from a treasure trove of great subject lines.

So, I guess the best I can do is put out a standing warning that sometimes I may use a subject line that's been posted here, and it may appear substantially similar to a guest strip or idea you've posted. In the long run, I don't think it can be completely avoided (although I will try not to do it knowingly).

So if -- nay, WHEN -- it happens, please don't be alarmed.

Thanks for reading and have a pleasant day.
stevenf
Exalted Founder and Grand Poobah

Postby Feztaa » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:41 pm

Uh, I thought the point of posting ideas here would be so that you'd use them? I'd be flattered if I saw one of my subject lines used!
Feztaa
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Postby Alph Tech / STUART » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:11 pm

Feztaa wrote:Uh, I thought the point of posting ideas here would be so that you'd use them? I'd be flattered if I saw one of my subject lines used!

You weren't here for Eggplant Mike.
Alph Tech / STUART

Postby Nurvingiel » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:24 am

What happened to Eggplant Mike? Aside from joining Applegeeks on Eva's T-shirt disguised as an ordinary eggplant.
Gneekman wrote:Thanks for making my pitiful thing into a beautiful tree.
Saltine wrote:HEY CRAP MY DAUGHTER IS 8 MONTHS OLD, WTF?!
Nurvingiel
Makes LOLCATS

Postby MagicFlyinLemur » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:55 am

Just put big ugly watermarks across yours. that makes them the LEGAL versions. Also, you should hire some big guys to sort of menace anyone who gives you any guff..
MagicFlyinLemur
Makes LOLCATS

Return to Subject Line Submissions