Which Pepsi Do You Prefer: Diet or Regular

Oh, so you think you're funny? If you've made your own Spamusement strip, post it here.
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Re: Which Pepsi Do You Prefer: Diet or Regular

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:34 pm

chrismachine wrote:
Saltine wrote:It's scientific notation. One reason to do this is that it gives a clearer idea of the uncertainty of the number. "1×10¹" gives a little more information than "10¹", since it has one significant figure and means "anywhere between 5 and 15". Compare this to "1.0×10¹", which has two significant figures and means "anywhere between 9.5 and 10.5".

how can you multiply 1×10¹ and have it mean 15?

(Sorry Skimba)

Because the nearest number you can accurately have without rounding to 20 is ~15, since the accuracy is to the ones place and not any more accurate. For example, it could be 14.999999999 x 10¹, but due to the accuracy of the ones place, it still rounds down to 10.

I'm guessing you're not a math/science teacher at the school?
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:51 pm

it's elementary school, and no I don't teach math or science. I still don't get how 1 could be 14.999 when it's clearly 1, but I think it's the concept that's escaping me. Anyway, thanks for trying guys. sig figs rings a bell from grade 11 physics and I think I got it back then, but since there aren't any variables I still can't get past that to me it looks like 1X10^1 = 1X10 = 10.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

reo01
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby reo01 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:16 am

Teen Talk Barbie wrote:Math is hard.
jvcc wrote:A giraffe stole my balloon when I was little.

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:02 pm

The coefficient you put in is how sure you are of the number. If you knew that it was exactly 10, you would say 1.0 x 10^1. If you think it's around 10, maybe between 5 and 15, you would use 1 x 10^1. It has to do with how precisely you can measure things.

An example:
If you have a scale that measures in 10-g increments, and it displays 10 g, the weight is somewhere between 5 and 15 g. This would be represented as 1 x 10^1.
If you have a scale that measures in 1-g increments, and it displays 10 g, the weight is somewhere between 9.5 and 10.5 g. This would be represented as 1.0 x 10^1.
If you have a scale that measures in 0.1-g increments, and it displays 10 g, the weight is somewhere between 9.95 and 10.05 g. This would be represented as 1.00 x 10^1.

I hope I got that right. I just woke up.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:27 pm

Monty Python Gumby wrote:MY... BRAIN HURTS.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:37 pm

yeah, that makes sense to me. I certainly hope it is right now that I get how it's done. I mean I got the idea that it's not as simple as its direct value from Saltine, but now I get how it can be used. Thanks!
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

kvn8907
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby kvn8907 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:40 pm

PonderThis wrote:Watch it, slydon, I think he's just trying to butter you up.

Best line in the thread. In fact, I think I'll add that fig(ure of speech) to my sig. :-)
according to the swear filter, kvn8907 wrote:Too bad the sort of get togethers I go to are generally too polite to use the term "fork"

PonderThis wrote:Watch it, slydon, I think he's just trying to butter you up.

vyira
Spam King

Postby vyira » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:37 am

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru

Return to “Spamuser Comics”