What was that about Family Guy ripping off the Simpsons?

What? You like other sites besides Spamusement? Unacceptable!

What was that about Family Guy ripping off the Simpsons?

Postby Chrono Crow » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:09 pm

quetzalcoatlus wrote:You should always make sure that all your important pussy cheese and uncle-rapist is backed up, in case your computer crashes.
Chrono Crow
Spam King

Postby James » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:02 pm

I think the theme's been explored quite a few times, but combined with the similarity of format I guess it is quite notable.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:24 pm

I remember reading some rant by a guy who hated family guy, and he really went for everything he could think of. As one might expect, he called every reference 'plagiarism', but what really took the cake was when he pointed out the similarity between Family Guy Death and South Park Death. Seth McFarlane stole the 'cloak-and-scythe' look from South Park!

Actually, it might have been linked from this site. I don't remember at all, but half the non-Wikipedia stuff I read on the internet (I was reading about horseshoes the other day. Isn't that a hoot?) is probably from here.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby James » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:39 pm

ntw3001 wrote:I was reading about horseshoes the other day. Isn't that a hoot?

That is definitely a hoot.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Chrono Crow » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:45 pm

Goddamnit, must you British bastards ruin all of my threads?
quetzalcoatlus wrote:You should always make sure that all your important pussy cheese and uncle-rapist is backed up, in case your computer crashes.
Chrono Crow
Spam King

Postby James » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:50 pm

No, you have a good(ish) point. All I'm really saying is that when people get really up in arms about something copying something else, they often forget that in the history of fiction a whole load of ideas have been covered a whole load of times. What really matters is if anything new is brought in one specific rendition of it, I suppose.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Chrono Crow » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:13 pm

James wrote:No, you have a good(ish) point. All I'm really saying is that when people get really up in arms about something copying something else, they often forget that in the history of fiction a whole load of ideas have been covered a whole load of times. What really matters is if anything new is brought in one specific rendition of it, I suppose.

I was mostly referring to Enty's post and your brilliant reply. But yeah, you're right.
Chrono Crow
Spam King

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:32 am

simpsons did it!! simpsons did it!!!
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby fanelian » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:47 am

Oh, come on, how many renditions have there been in which a character somehow ends up taking the place of Santa claus? There are just some ideas that are not really original but end up being played anyway in most shows. Death may have been too morbid for the Flinstons, but it's the same kind of thing, I believe.

And I also end up reading about the most strange and fascinating things through the links in this forum. So, thanks.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby kupo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:07 pm

James wrote:

hoot
a signature
kupo
Impresses the Females

Postby Chrono Crow » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:34 pm

kupo wrote:
James wrote:

hoot

I knew that's what that would be.
Chrono Crow
Spam King

Return to The Internets