"Amusing" News Article

What? You like other sites besides Spamusement? Unacceptable!

"Amusing" News Article

Postby Saltine » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:44 pm

Good job, smartass.

I was actually more or less on your side until I saw you had Play-Doh. You're a dipshit.
--Saltine
Saltine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:10 pm

what is it with boston that they always do these over reactions so much?
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby Null » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:20 pm

I think she sounds like an idiot.

This is like some guy, pulled over by the cops, who decides to show the officer how realistic his toy gun is.
Null

Postby Saltine » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:30 pm

sum yun gai wrote:what is it with boston that they always do these over reactions so much?
Could it be because the 9/11 hijackers flew out of the same airport?

With LiteBriteGate, I agree that it was an overreaction in two ways. One: once the authorities strongly suspected that the devices were not bombs, the anti-terrorism machine kept on a-chugging for five or six hours. Two: the people who planted those things never intended for them to look like bombs, but everyone wanted to prosecute them as if they had perpetrated a bomb-threat hoax.

This is different. One: they didn't close down the airport for the whole day after they realized it wasn't a bomb. Two: she obviously intended for the thing to look like a bomb. The Play-Doh did it. If she was just a nerd with a blinky circuit board that she liked to wear... and socially inept enough not to realize how people would react, that would be one thing. But she meant to get attention from a fake bomb, and therefore, this was indeed a bomb-threat hoax. She should be prosecuted accordingly.

I don't really see an overreaction here (well, maybe on my part, to your post). Plus, she's alive.

Also: what's with that hair, Star? And why you boyfriend all forty year old? You got problems. With a capital P and that rhymes with D and that stands for DIPSHIT.
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby giantsfan97 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:11 pm

yup this is pretty retarded
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:23 pm

has won school prizes for chemistry and leadership

Is this combination hilarious to anyone else? Chemistry... and LEADERSHIP.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby sum yun gai » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:01 am

i guess i'm thinking of their statements over and over again "if she hadn't cooperated she'd be dead right now". i don't live anywhere near boston so i can't speak to the psychological history of 9/11 hijackers coming from that airport. all i know is that this girl obviously is an attention whore and what terrorist in their right mind wears their bomb on the *outside* of their clothes?

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby James » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:14 am

ntw3001 wrote:
has won school prizes for chemistry and leadership
Is this combination hilarious to anyone else? Chemistry... and LEADERSHIP.

Yes.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Saltine » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:05 am

sum yun gai wrote:all i know is that this girl obviously is an attention whore and what terrorist in their right mind wears their bomb on the *outside* of their clothes?
Right mind haha. Seriously, I guess she could have been a suicidal attention whore.

But in any case, one thing bugging me is how a bunch of the news stories about this leave out the Play-Doh. Look, news people: the Play-Doh is vital to the story, as it possibly resembles plastic explosives, which are detonated by electrical discharge. So, for you playing at home: circuit board + blinky lights + putty = possibly suspicious bomb-like thing. Circuit board + blinky lights = hobby shop reject.

Dear people who think blinky light = bomb: the cartoon representation of bomb which exists in your mind is inaccurate. A bomb is not necessarily a round black ball with a fuse. A book with a picture of a bomb on it is not a bomb. A device with a digital seven-segment display time readout which is counting backwards is not necessarily a bomb. Myrrh is a balm. Love and kisses, Saltine.
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:28 pm

Saltine wrote:
sum yun gai wrote:all i know is that this girl obviously is an attention whore and what terrorist in their right mind wears their bomb on the *outside* of their clothes?
Right mind haha. Seriously, I guess she could have been a suicidal attention whore.

But in any case, one thing bugging me is how a bunch of the news stories about this leave out the Play-Doh. Look, news people: the Play-Doh is vital to the story, as it possibly resembles plastic explosives, which are detonated by electrical discharge. So, for you playing at home: circuit board + blinky lights + putty = possibly suspicious bomb-like thing. Circuit board + blinky lights = hobby shop reject.

Dear people who think blinky light = bomb: the cartoon representation of bomb which exists in your mind is inaccurate. A bomb is not necessarily a round black ball with a fuse. A book with a picture of a bomb on it is not a bomb. A device with a digital seven-segment display time readout which is counting backwards is not necessarily a bomb. Myrrh is a balm. Love and kisses, Saltine.

I agree with that entirely.
MysticalDescent

Postby catastrophile » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:34 pm

WELL I THINK YOU'RE THE BOMB.
[/bastard]
catastrophile

Postby Dusk » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:05 pm

Saltine wrote:Myrrh is a balm.

He doesn't think much of you either!
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby SilasX » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:35 pm

Saltine wrote: the cartoon representation of bomb which exists in your mind is inaccurate. A bomb is not necessarily a round black ball with a fuse.

Shut up!!!! :evil: You ruined a perfectly good worldview of mine!
SilasX
Has a UNIVERSITY D1PL0MA

Postby Saltine » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:45 am

WELL. I just heard from one of my friends that Miss Simpson had gotten the lump of Play-Doh like putty at MIT's career fair. It was some kind of carpal tunnel stress relief thingy (like this I guess) that one of the companies at the fair was giving away. She just had it in her hands (the intended place for it), not attached to the circuit board in any way.

SO. It's starting to look to me like there was no intent here. I'm now leaning toward "nerd girl too clueless to realize how people would react" plus "unfortunate coincidence stress putty".

I'm still not sure that there was an overreaction on the part of law enforcement. But now I think she probably doesn't deserve to be prosecuted, since having submachine guns pointed at you may be adequate punishment for clueless nerdosity.

If she can demonstrate that there was no intent, she should not be convicted of perpetrating any kind of hoax. See earlier diatribes about Lite Brites.
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby Mimiheart » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:09 am

Watch Beauty and the Geek. There ARE people that clueless in the world.
Made ya look.
Mimiheart
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Saltine » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:52 am

As someone who has been on MIT campus for much of the past fifteen years, I am aware of that.
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby sum yun gai » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:38 pm

according to this article, she didn't say what it was at first, then walked around for a bit and then went outside. then the police showed up with machine guns and threatened to kill her if she didn't comply. i can't believe that's the only way to deal with someone who may potentially have a bomb -- to point big guns at them and threaten them into compliance.

she probably had that thing on all day since she was at a career fair which she specifically mentioned to the person at the information booth. i agree it's not exactly something you should be wearing in an airport, but i don't see anything in the above article that suggests she was acting suspiciously, people just freaked out because they didn't understand what she had it on for.

i guess it would be a much different story if it didn't happen in boston. but the police botched that other "threat" so badly that it's hard for me to take them seriously right now. maybe the police didn't overreact to this, but everyone else seems to have. "ZOMG!! SHE'S GOT A BLINKY CIRCUIT BOARD THINGY ON HER CHEST! TERRIST!!!" i guess i'd like to know (a) how long the police followed her around before deciding to draw weapons on her and (b) how much training the information booth has in spotting suspicious terroristic activity.

i can't believe she's the only person in the airport asking about the whereabouts of one single specific flight from a certain air carrier. besides the blinky board, what set her apart from all the other people who are trying to pick up someone from the airport and aren't sure who to ask?

sum yun gai

Postby Watery_tart » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:01 am

two friends of mine were sued because they placed ticking eggtimers all over a modern art museum.

The museum got scared and evacuated everyone.

Odd thing is, the museum did give them premission for the project.

My friends were sued for the lost profits of that afternoon.
I'm not scared, I'm Steve
Watery_tart
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:52 am

Watery_tart wrote:My friends were sued for the lost profits of that afternoon.

You mean "optional donations"?
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Watery_tart » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:05 am

Eviljekyll wrote:
Watery_tart wrote:My friends were sued for the lost profits of that afternoon.

You mean "optional donations"?

uh, the entrance fees the museum could have had
I'm not scared, I'm Steve
Watery_tart
Apparently Still Unemployed

Return to The Internets