Video Game Stuff

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Re: Video Game Stuff

Postby IanC » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:29 pm

If you want a good sci-fi time travel story, the visual novel Steins;Gate is well worth a play, er, read.

Im just over 40 hours on my save file on the recently release in the UK PS3 copy and I'm getting close to the last two endings. I have laughed, cried, said "holy fork" way more often than I expected to, and have felt so much for the characters due to the brilliant writing (and the translation too of course). An amazing experience, well worth getting, even if you have seen the anime.

It's out on PC already, and getting a North American PS3/Vita release in August.

And the developers US branch made a comment on twitter that suggests the sequel, out later this year in Japan will be getting localised far sooner than this did. Hope so!
Last edited by IanC on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:15 pm

If you guys are into chess or learning about chess, this is a good site: http://en.lichess.org/
My username is the same as on here.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:16 pm

Twice I was watching a match on there and it just ended and another one was up without saying who won, or quit or whatever. That was annoying, but other than that it's a neat site!
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:32 pm

And over the weekend i got the last two endings, and 100%ed Steins;Gate. What a story. The last two endings are connected (True ending even fakes out, making you think you messed up >_>), and its real earn your happy ending style ending.

Game of the year? So far, yes (using the formal of it coming out this year in the UK, so it would be on my list for this year. Nothing close, and unless MGSV is a real belter, i can't see much else coming out that will beat it.

Get it guys, I'm serious.
My Spamusements!

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:24 pm

Journey was recently re-released for PS4. I think there's a good chance it's the most beautiful game ever made. It carries beauty even in the simple game mechanic of having characters be re-energised by standing close to their partner. It's a very special game.
SIGNATURE: GONE

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Im sure people on here have heard about the forthcoming Steam release of the yuri visual novel Kindred Spirits on the Roof, which got a fair bit of press in the past week due to the fact that it won't have the sex scenes censored/cut like Steam usually do to allow visual novels on the service, even if the scenes aren't as explicit as the likes of The Witcher.

Of course theres the point, despite the way the press has gone on about it you'd think it was like full on, when its just boobs and implied fingering in the graphics...

Anyway it looks cute and I think i will end up buying it (and no its due to the sex, lol)
My Spamusements!

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:50 am

I'm trying to play Starcraft and I just can't. How do people learn this stuff? People on YouTube seem to know exactly what to do, but the whole arrangement is so arcane I can't figure it out even a tiny bit. It probably doesn't help that I'm trying to play Zerg, which appears to be the most difficult faction. But they're the only cool ones!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Had to fist fight a child in MGS V The Phantom Pain. Somehow not the strangest thing in a Metal Gear Solid game.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:34 pm

If you are looking for something spooky for halloween, i can recommend Higurashi When They Cry, the first chapter of which is on Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/310360/

Its a slow burner of a visual novel, but once it gets going and the story rushes headlong.... just fork. Its so rickin'-frackin' creepy, no lie.
My Spamusements!

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:28 pm

So I just ordered Infinite Undiscovery and Crackdown (both XBox 360), and they should arrive fairly soon. The former seems kind of interesting in its own right, but the latter has the additional benefit of me having watched a Let's Play by Ambisagrus and A Wooden Palisade. This would be the second game I've bought because of an LP, and by the same people, no less.

I've been considering Epic Mickey 2 (Wii), as well. I have the first one, but haven't beaten it yet.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:04 am

I got crackdown for the 360 when it was on the free Games with Gold. I've found myself not really interested in the story but still kinda playing longer than I usually anticipate.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:50 pm

Also, I was playing Alice: Madness Returns again, and...

In the Asylum, in the Bloodletting Room, I had always assumed that those were drops of blood coming from the ceiling. Upon closer inspection, I have since discovered that they're not. They're leeches. And the ceiling is teeming with them.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:42 pm

My friend is signed off work with illness so we've been playing Football Manager. Hernandez has apparently decided he done all his goals last season so he won't be doing any this time. It's frustrating.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:09 pm

Just completed Bioshock for the second time (PS3 this time). Still good. Still think it goes downhill after the twist. Still think the final boss is poopcakes, and honestly kinda easy to beat. I think they ran out of time near the end of development, tbh.

I still love it to bits though, certainly a modern classic despite its problems (actually is it modern now? Its 8 years old now, i think?).

I don't think the PS3 port is as bad as, for example, Digital Foundry said it was. Its not perfect, but its not awful (aside from a slight blurry screen on 1080p).

Interestingly the PS3 version ended with a teaser for Bioshock 2, which was going to have the subtitle of Sea of Dreams at one point…
My Spamusements!

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:32 am

Been enjoying Crackdown. Los Muertos is/are getting fairly close to going down. Been collecting Agility Orbs like a fiend, though I should probably go back to the car place now that that guy's gone down and get the ones there, as well. And the Hidden Orbs, of course. Been going around the island on foot, as well; haven't really gotten much use out of vehicles.

(I am playing on "Tough", by the way.)

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:51 pm

Don't know why, but hearing about Street Fighter V and its rather botched launch made me want to play some Street Fighter IV. So i downloaded Ultra Street Fighter IV for the PS4.

Wow thats a lot of characters.

Played some arcade mode and still enjoyed it. Expect for Seth. Seth is an objectionable person. Worst boss character ever!
Anyway heres a screenshot of Chun-Li. No, I have no idea why she's wearing what looks like a chicken on her head. Buck buck.

Ryu is fun too. Though beating up Sakura seems a bit wrong, since she is a big Ryu fangirl.
(a well timed trophy meant a well timed screenshot)
My Spamusements!

sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby sum yun gai » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:42 pm

So I'm playing a "freemium" game on my phone lately, which shows an ad for pretty much anything and everything but not quite often enough that it takes away *too* much from the gameplay. Lately they've been showing ads which I will charitably call "boobs on display", in which a real or animated woman will be shown in action (either playing the game as a real life woman or being a character in the game) and the camera manages to get downshirt shots of her or closeups of her chest. I realize that Kate Upton's boobs sold millions of copies of that one mobile game, but I still maintain that if your product has nothing to do with boobs that you should probably find a better way of advertising that does not involve them. Are there that many horny teenage boys out there that this is effective advertising?
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:22 am

What don't you like boobs? You gay or something? :P

(it must work, somehow, since those "free" games make a nice amount of money from those that give in to the micro transactions)
My Spamusements!

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:32 pm

If the game is meant to be nothing but boobs everywhere, sure why not? Like, Leisure Suit Larry made an entire franchise on pixelated nudity, so including boobs in their game ads only makes perfect sense. But Kate Upton's boobs have nothing to do with the game she advertised for, so including her boobs in their ad is only to draw in a subset of people. It turns out that Kate Upton's boobs have quite the marketing power, but "random girl with headphones who could be cute or not because we don't care we just want you to look at her chest" is just there to get people to look at her chest and has nothing to do with a game that involves military tactics or exploding lines of gems.

All I'm saying is that using sex to sell things that have nothing to do with sex is stupid.

Also, the freemium games that I've played are still able to be played without spending money, so I don't. But I totally understand the urge to spend "it's only $2" every few hours until your credit nosedives.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:23 pm

I found a mobile game called TheoTown recently. It's nice to have a decent mobile game that's fun and free from all of the usual 'freemium' trappings.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:01 pm

I completed Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth today, a really good rpg. Story is rather dark, especially considering its a Digimon game, I mean there's a side case involving (heavily implied) human trafficking in the real world while the person getting trafficked mind is stuck in EDEN (the online world).

It's not all doom and gloom though! Ending is lovely and upbeat.

Took me over 60 hours to complete, lol.
My Spamusements!

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:00 pm

I am having more fun with The Division than I have with any game in the last 8-9 years. Like, crazy amounts of fun. I know I won't be playing it in 3 months, but for right now, so much fun.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:24 am

I've been playing some of these, all translated by the same person. A few that I can recommend (not that the others are bad, just that I haven't played all of them to know):

In Ib, you play a girl of the same name who visits an art gallery. Upon examining a particular long picture on the floor above the one you start on, the lights flicker, and you're suddenly alone. You go downstairs, and the lights dim, and some of the paintings actually do things. (Nothing dangerous... here.) You go back to the long painting, and are told about an exhibit back downstairs that will let you into someplace secret. You go there, and your adventure begins.

You have no combat options, so your only hope is to, as much as possible, avoid things that hurt. There are a number of puzzles, as well as a few endings depending on what you did and didn't do.

One gimmick is that, being 9, the character doesn't know certain words, so they show up as "???" when you try to read them, which is kind of neat. And you can also play as an adult, who can read those words.

In Farethere City, you play as this cute little mono-eyed guy who moves to the titular city and wants to open a general store. you play over the course of an in-game week, and your actions will determine if you open the general store... or not. But you're having weird dreams with similar motifs, and some foods seem to transport you to strange places before dropping you back at your bed.

Speaking of strange, you have HP, MP, and an Equip screen even though none of them ever come into play.

There is a normal ending and two true endings, as well as a lot of optional content.

Hero & Daughter is a turn-based RPG in which you play as a hero who is getting tired of the lack of challenge, so he's given a potion that drops him to level 1 and keeps him from leveling up like normal. In this state, he can't even beat up a group of 3 Slimes, so he's summoned to a tavern run by an oldish man who summons party members for you, mostly in exchange for Summon Stones.

Here's the thing: All the other party members are female. (In fact, the "Daughter" part of the name is overly literal. Although for one...) Each has a different gameplay role, and a different personality. The first one will always be the same, but after that... random. They start at higher levels and are able to level up. You, on the other hand, raise your stats with items (things like ATK Up or LUK Veggies) or dinners at the town's restaurant. Some party members start with a few spells, but most will need to be learned by reading tomes that you have to buy. You'll find weapons and armor in the dungeons, and there are no restrictions on who can wear what; you can feel like Xzibit by equipping Glasses on Sakia, or like I-don't-know-what by equipping them on Iris. Being a fencer or brawler has no bearing on weapon choice. Even the bustiest girl can wear an A-Class Brassiere... explicitly said to be an A-cup in the description. Also, unlike some RPGs, choice of equipment is not reflected in the character models.

So yeah. They only cost time in downloading, and if I took the time, you people who have your fancy broadband connections surely can.

Return to “None of the Above”