A whine and complain thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Re: A whine and complain thread

Postby fanelian » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:14 am

I so wish I could have read that when I was there! It's great, ZP :D
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:19 pm

James wrote:I have a co-worker who uses the same phrase every single time he wants somebody's attention:

"Hey [name], can I borrow you for a second?"

I find it obnoxiously twee.

Actually, to be fair, on occasion he just goes with:

"Heyyyyyyyyyy, [name]."

It's less twee, but it's still pretty irritating. It makes the request sound like it's going to be more annoying than it actually is.

He's a fairly nice guy, and it's silly to get wound up about stupid stuff like this, but GOD, HAVING TO INHABIT A SPACE AMONG OTHER HUMAN BEINGS IS THE WORST TORMENT A CONSCIOUS BEING COULD EVER BE FORCED TO ENDURE. It's possible that I'm exaggerating.

There's somebody else at work who persistently calls the shipping manifest "the manifesto".

There is yet another person who doesn't seem able to say the word "anyway" without preceding it with "in". I think he's confused the word "anyway" (as in, "It may seem pointless, but you should do it anyway") with the phrase "in any way" (as in, "I don't think that is in any way related to what we're talking about").

Instead of actually mentioning any of this stuff, I sit there silently resenting them each a little bit every time they commit one of their verbal crimes. It's obviously the most reasonable response.

I think it's slightly worse when you know that you're saying the same things over and over to a point of sounding stupid, but can't actually help it. I'm fairly sure that every single time I contact a tutor/lecturer/superior of some sort with an enquiry, I say 'I was wondering if...' in the most incredibly timid tone and it irritates me like hell. I think the timid tone even comes across in emails.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Sometimes I notice myself relying on a word of phrase too much, so I'll make a conscious effort to avoid using it, but end up awkwardly fumbling for an alternative in my attempts to do so.
SIGNATURE: GONE

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:52 am

fanelian wrote:I like Adele, sure, but not all frigging day long, same 3 dang overplayed songs agaiiiin. Doesn't she have some other ones? GAHHH Even better? a road trip back home awaits... around 6 hours of this same situation don't seem inviting at all.

I usually live fine without music. I'm weird like that: I enjoys me some silence, and would reaaaally like some of it right now.

I also do not listen to music often. People thing I am the strangest. I probably am, but then I just start rolling in the deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:04 am

I watched an interview with Adele today.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 am

Yesterday, for the first time in a long time, I spent most of my waking hours reading until I looked at the clock and realized it was 2 in the morning. Now I'm paying for it at work.

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:04 pm

I had never seen but a few episodes of The Guild, so last night we started watching it and then I realize it's 4 AM and I have to get up at 7 to get Emily to school and then myself to school. I come home ready for some sweet, sweet pillow time and my wife wants to go to the Dr. because her sinus infection has spread into her ears and she can't hear. No biggie, after we're done at the hospital I'll get a nap. Then after I get Emily from school I'll get a nap. Well, I guess after I make dinner I will. What's that? It's time to get ready for my Monday night class?
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:25 pm

This morning I tripped and fell on my right knee and hand (I used my hand to avoid hitting the dirt with my pretty face). It's weird how we grow so used to... not falling that it is a great shock when you do, as an adult. I let out a cry and stood still in that position for a moment. I hurt my hand a bit, but it's just the skin. So I got up and proceeded about my day as usual but right now my upper back and neck hurt a lot, I guess from the impact on my arm (?). hatever.

I fell because they removed the concrete floor in my house yesterday, so this morning when I sprinted from my car back into the house I completely forgot I was going to step lower and into dirt and BAM! Hello dirt!

blah blah blah. I'm bored at a starbucks because now that they're making the new floor... I cannot go into my house u_u.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

EsBe

Postby EsBe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 pm

What you need is some sort of soft protective enclosure to keep your pretty face safe in the event of a fall.

EsBe

Postby EsBe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:26 am

Oh my goodness, I am listening to a radio show in the background at work, and not only is this one guest speaking in a totally passive aggressive way, he keeps using the phrase "Bottom line is..." to say different things in the same breath. Hey, guy. Take all of the lines. Stack them up. Pick one of them to be on the bottom! :evil:

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:14 pm

That is an awesome beard. Though I would be afraid of birds.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:55 am

"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:14 pm

A beard with birds in it, you say? (Note: This is the version with added music. They did that a lot for some reason.)

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:13 pm

My mom mistook baking powder for flour when making beef stroganoff. Tried to salvage with vinegar. No hope. Yuck. :(
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:28 am

While giving a lecture, my Operating Systems Concepts teacher said that one thing was "akin to" something else. That's fine, except that he pronounced it "achin' to." As in "rhyming with bacon."

This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:07 am

Sounds like a pronunciation issue ripe with comedic potential.

"I'm achin' to my cousin."
"You're achin' to...what your cousin?"

Etc.

badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby badplantmommy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:09 am

About a week and a half ago, I fell for no apparent reason while walking the dog. I did not trip over anything, I wasn't going up or down stairs, and I didn't fall over the dog. My foot just went out from under me. This had happened to me before, and it was usually because of the shoes I was wearing--flat shoes, but the soles were worn down at the heels. I somehow managed to sprain my right index finger when I landed. It's almost back to normal, and it doesn't hurt.
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 pm

I keep discovering people who either don't know or don't care that Czechoslovakia doesn't exist any more, and hasn't for almost twenty years. The last time I pointed out such an error I was met with an exasperated and dismissive look as though I was being absurdly pedantic. Perhaps I was, but I feel like it's a pretty fundamental thing for an educated adult to get wrong.

I was going to add some other stuff about people getting flags wrong, but I couldn't find a way for me not to come out of it sounding incredibly up-tight. Still, I do think that the whole "does it really matter?" attitude is kind of disrespectful; it suggests that the world outside your own borders isn't worth knowing about. I'm shamefully ignorant of a lot of what I should know about the countries of the world, but at treat evidence of my ignorance as a prompt to learn something, and not as a mere irritation.

I should reiterate, though: I'm shamefully ignorant.
SIGNATURE: GONE

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Czech Republic. There was a play on words joke with the name in high school.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Man, what are these Slovak and Czech Republics you keep going on about? ;)

But yeah, I agree, it is kind of important.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:28 pm

I have seen a person waving a Serbian flag at an enclosure of Croatians in order to gently wind them up. Apparently it's rather more offensive than that.

Said Croatians were carrying around a bit of Nazi iconography and did a fair few synchronized Nazi salutes, though, apparently as a gentle wind up without realising that it's probably a touch more offensive than that.

TENUOUS LINK.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:47 pm

I am abysmally ignorant of the happenings of the world, and I only know a handful of flags. I have trouble keeping up with Eastern Europe and the Middle east.... and Africa and... the whole world. I'm one of those people that have a vague idea of where countries are but would probably embarrass myself trying to point them in a map. Unless it's China, I can locate the hell out of China.

It's not that I think the rest of the world to be less important than me, but I just don't care about their affairs, like I don't care about anything going on at my neighbor’s house unless it's something that's having a perceivable impact on me or others I care about.

However, if anyone were to correct me or otherwise inform me of something I'm unaware of, I would be embarrassed and even apologetic, not accusing the better informed of being pedantic. Unless they were being asses about my ignorance. Then I would punche them in the face.

I knew about Czechoslovakia, though.

EsBe

Postby EsBe » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 pm

I learned most of my world geography from playing Command & Conquer, which gave a brief name/capital/population/government/major export synopsis before each mission. dang shame that by taking place in Eastern Europe and Africa, its usefulness lasted only through my middle school geography classes.

Oh, Czechoslovakia. In first grade, my music classroom had a wall mural of famous composers and I was instantly taken with the country, probably because of its awesome spelling. So yeah, until now I had never once doubted Czechoslovakia's continued existence. :oops:

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:48 pm

The Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic thing was explained to me as a child because we had a Czech boy at my school. His family owned a pancake restaurant.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:17 pm

I knew because of the olympics, world hockey championships, my world issues class in grade 12, and current events.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

Return to “None of the Above”