A whine and complain thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: A whine and complain thread

Postby PonderThis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:43 am

badplantmommy wrote:Page 81 of the Random Thoughts thread keeps getting stuck and not letting me scroll down. It could just be that I have an older version of IE. Oh well, everything else seems to work fine (except my "n" key sticks :mrgreen: ).

Sorry that's probably my fault with all my "BBCode text pictures". Get yourself a newer browser! Also, good to see ya, bpm! :)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby James » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:26 pm

badplantmommy wrote:It could just be that I have an older version of IE.

Are you on a work PC, or do you just enjoy being a web developer's worst nightmare?

EDIT: If that comes across as aggressive, it honestly isn't meant that way. If it doesn't it is, though.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Skimba » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:34 pm

I love my job. I love my job. I'm glad I have a job. I want to set my job on fire. It's all just little things, but it would make me less stressed and less able to flip the fork out. 11 years. 11 years folks, no rickin'-frackin' joke. 11 years and no rickin'-frackin' consideration.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby PonderThis » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Skimba wrote:I love my job. I love my job. I'm glad I have a job. I want to set my job on fire. It's all just little things, but it would make me less stressed and less able to flip the fork out. 11 years. 11 years folks, no rickin'-frackin' joke. 11 years and no rickin'-frackin' consideration.

Fuuuuck that sounds almost like my job. Except for the stress, thank god my going-nowhere job where I haven't had a raise in ten years doesn't have any stress.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby chrismachine » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:56 pm

That definitely sounds pretty rough.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Okay work was bad today. The boss came in and implemented some fascinating new rules, like 'You now have to write all your notes twice, one time in short story format. And you can't use tables'. This is not conducive to our workflow! It's silly, and it won't last. But ugh what a stupid day.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby PonderThis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:11 am

SKIMBAGE ARE YOU OK?

Well I assume you're ok. Your part of Colorado is, IIRC, just south of the worst of all the flooding. Still.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Skimba » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:10 pm

I HAVE NOT FLOATED AWAY...nor has cattass or the kitties. I live just south enough and just west enough to have avoided the worst of the flooding and hail. My backyard is totaled, which is actually a good thing as it needed to be tilled anyway. However, it is a dang shame that my office building is fully funtional, as I could really use more time to senselessly collect Timeless Coins.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby James » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:46 pm

a) There is someone at work who talks TOO LOUD and all the time, including narrating a lot of what he's doing that's of no relevance to anyone else, and verbally responding to emails.
b) Often at work someone will put the kettle on, and I'll think "Oh yes, now would be a good time for a cup of coffee", so I'll wait for them to use it first, but they never do , so I have to boil it again. Several people do this. I've also seen people put the kettle on, immediately leave the office to use the toilet, then put the kettle on again as soon as they come back. This is very important and matters a great deal.

(Item B isn't really so much of a whine or complain as it is a not getting people thing.)
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Sometimes I'll use appliances in my house that stop performing their functions after a set period of time as alarm clocks of sorts. When I'm getting ready in the morning, for example, I like to procrastinate by watching Netflix or listening to music. To make sure that I don't do this for too long, I might turn on my hair straightener, which beeps when it turns off after being left alone for too long. So maybe some people do that with workplace appliances?

I'm not at all convinced that that's true, but it is a possibility.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EsBe » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:45 pm

jvcc wrote:Sometimes I'll use appliances in my house that stop performing their functions after a set period of time as alarm clocks of sorts. When I'm getting ready in the morning, for example, I like to procrastinate by watching Netflix or listening to music. To make sure that I don't do this for too long, I might turn on my hair straightener, which beeps when it turns off after being left alone for too long. So maybe some people do that with workplace appliances?

I'm not at all convinced that that's true, but it is a possibility.

I am concerned/amused that in both of your cases--hair straightener, kettle--the makeshift alarm the safety switch preventing the intentionally-left-on heating element from burning down the building.

In a completely unrelated turn of events, I would like to chip in to help buy you a watch. :)
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby mulpis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:39 am

In response to the kettle thing, I'd like to add that back when I worked in an office, I was always that guy. Of course, we didn't have anything nearly as fancy as a kettle, but we did have a microwave. At least once a day, I'd put a mug of water in for tea and forget about it. It drove my co-workers crazy. Every time they opened the microwave, there'd be a mug of tepid water in there. I don't know how it helps with your problem exactly, I'm just saying I can see how it could happen. I just couldn't hang out in the break room waiting for my water to boil when I could hear the phone ringing in the office. When I left, my coworkers (in good humor, of course) chipped in and bought me an electric kettle as a going away gift.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 pm

It really doesn't matter at all, it just perplexes me. The kettle takes barely any time to boil. I just turn it on, put the granules (classy) in my mug, stand around for a few moments and it's done. Perhaps people are waiting for it to cool down a bit, but I'm pretty sure it'll do that faster in a mug.

JVCC, that's an interesting if slightly barmy hypothesis, but I don't think it's at all likely in my scenario. The kettle isn't really noisy enough to be obviously heard from the other side of the office if people are talking, and boiling it takes too little time to be a worthwhile timer for anything.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby PonderThis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:18 pm

EsBe wrote:In a completely unrelated turn of events, I would like to chip in to help buy you a watch. :)

For those of you too young to know what a "watch" is, it's basically a tiny smartphone you wear on your wrist that doesn't work as a phone and has only one app. :n/
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby mulpis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:55 pm

PonderThis wrote:For those of you too young to know what a "watch" is, it's basically a tiny smartphone you wear on your wrist that doesn't work as a phone and has only one app. :n/

Unless it's a badass Casio watch, then it has a calculator app. Bomb.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:47 am

i am constantly changing the water cooler water bottle in my office because people will drain it dry, then walk away and not even tell the front desk person whose job entails making sure the kitchen things are stocked properly among other duties. i can understand not wanting to lift 40lbs of water, but at least tell someone you emptied it whose job it is do actually lift the dang thing! >:( this is in addition to leaving an empty paper towel roll after using the last one and not telling anyone, and also emptying the coffee urns without telling anyone. i think it's just a phenomenon of people not realizing that they are perfectly capable of doing some things themselves but they just figure that it's someone else's job so they just don't bother with it.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby James » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:10 pm

A thing I find really weird is when a roll of toilet paper runs out at work, there's someone who will prop the new roll on the (unused) towel rail rather than using the actual spindle thing (what do you call the thing you put toilet roll on?). It would take at most five seconds to go the final step and thread it on. Why not do it?

I suspect it's my boss, who is pretty much defined by impatience.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby mulpis » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:26 pm

James wrote:A thing I find really weird is when a roll of toilet paper runs out at work, there's someone who will prop the new roll on the (unused) towel rail rather than using the actual spindle thing (what do you call the thing you put toilet roll on?). It would take at most five seconds to go the final step and thread it on. Why not do it?

Ugh, that drives me crazy. I mean, you're sitting right next to it!!!
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby jvcc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:40 pm

These recent discussions have done nothing but confirm that most of you would be extremely annoyed by some of my more slovenly habits.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:27 am

No they have done other things. For instance, I am chuckling knowingly.
chrismachine

Postby MysticalDescent » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Though usually impeccable, the sole men's toilet where I do most of my work is occasionally left in a simply appalling condition. This means that I have to flush it when I get in there, but the toilet takes an awfully long time to 'reload' itself (is there an appropriate term for the process of it becoming flushable again?) so by time I'm finished there, the basin is still far from full and the toilet won't flush. As I don't fancy loitering in the toilet for an unknown period with nothing to do, this causes me to leave the scene as the villain, with the toilet returned to its appalling state.
MysticalDescent

Postby chrismachine » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:06 am

There is something wrong with that toilet.
chrismachine

Postby James » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:17 pm

jvcc wrote:These recent discussions have done nothing but confirm that most of you would be extremely annoyed by some of my more slovenly habits.

Do you also tear the tops off cereal boxes like an uncivilised beast? Or leave the bag within open and unrolled like an uncivilised beast? Or open crisp/chip packets at the bottom like an uncivilised beast? Or put some bank notes into your wallet upside-down like an uncivilised beast?
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:52 pm

James wrote:
jvcc wrote:These recent discussions have done nothing but confirm that most of you would be extremely annoyed by some of my more slovenly habits.

Do you also tear the tops off cereal boxes like an uncivilised beast? Or leave the bag within open and unrolled like an uncivilised beast? Or open crisp/chip packets at the bottom like an uncivilised beast? Or put some bank notes into your wallet upside-down like an uncivilised beast?

Two out of four.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby James » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:05 pm

A monster in our midst.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above