A whine and complain thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: A whine and complain thread

Postby mulpis » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:09 pm

Or rip open the fridge pack of soda from the end instead on the perforations at the top, letting all the soda fall out all over the floor GRRRRR I HATE that!!!
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:20 am

I am guilty of the kettle thing. Ittakesa few minutes to boil, so I go and perform some brief task. Then I come back and it has already boiled, so I set it going again. But because the water has just boiled, it doesn't take long! I have prepared for this eventuality.

The other day I was working in the kitchen (even though I'm not supposed to be a kitchen guy) and had to give Nobby his lunch. But I forgot the tiny mousse pot! So I activated the kettle before going to get it. Precious minutes were saved.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Skimba » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:29 pm

sum yun gai wrote:...this is in addition to leaving an empty paper towel roll after using the last one and not telling anyone, and also emptying the coffee urns without telling anyone. i think it's just a phenomenon of people not realizing that they are perfectly capable of doing some things themselves but they just figure that it's someone else's job so they just don't bother with it.

When my office was smaller, about 25 people [now its about 70 people], we had a paper towel holder. At one point in time, I put up a detailed note about how to change the roll, but it didn't help. Now we just don't have one, but people will still leave the empty roll on the litchen counter and not bring out a new one...they're kept literally in the cabinet right where they are standing.
Anyway, we are not alone.

Edit: How much an 'E' makes a difference.
Last edited by Skimba on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby James » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:33 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Ittakesa few minutes to boil, so I go and perform some brief task.

If it takes several minutes to boil, might you not be boiling more water than required? Unless you're doing it for the whole office, in which case shouldn't somebody be swooping in there once it's ready?

STILL VERY IMPORTANT.
mulpis wrote:Or rip open the fridge pack of soda from the end instead on the perforations at the top, letting all the soda fall out all over the floor GRRRRR I HATE that!!!

I occasionally get packs of breakfast bars, and they have perforations along the so that you can open it as a big flap, but there are no perforations down the front side, so you have to pull the cardboard away where it's been glued to the sides, and it never works properly and always tears and is boundlessly infuriating and I don't know why they even bother with packaging at all and don't just shoot the bloody things at my face with a cannon. I might be exaggerating.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:47 pm

I don't know what the appropriate thread for this is, but my mom had a mild heart attack today. This is bizarre timing, because she just got tests for congestive heart failure done yesterday. On her birthday. She's fifty-two. I'm going home to visit her tomorrow.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:40 am

i hope "mild heart attack" is as benign as it sounds. good luck and i hope she gets better
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby mulpis » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:48 am

That's such a scary thing to hear. When my mom was 60, she had a heart attack and didn't even know it! I guess the scar tissue showed up on a test she had about six months later. I hope your mom is okay.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:53 am

That's terrible. Best of luck to you and your family.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:13 pm

What James said.
MysticalDescent

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:43 pm

What Mysty said.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:02 pm

I, too, hope things work out for the best.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby mulpis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:07 am

I've had the same cell phone for four years. Yeah, you read that right. It was the kind that flipped open and had a full keyboard inside. It had a 3 mexapixel camera and could only send 160 characters of text at a time. I can't tell you why I was so attached to it, but I was. I loved that old phone. Over the weekend, the battery died, and when I plugged it in... nothing. It was gone. Broken. I had to get a new one. I had no choice but to finally catch up to the millennium and get a smart phone. I'm trying not to be all "first world problemy" about it, but I'm weirdly bummed out about this whole thing. My bill went up, this thing is awkward to hold, and I miss having an actual keyboard. I'm sure I'll learn to love it, but for now, the whole thing is a pain in the ass.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Skimba » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:27 pm

mulpis wrote:I've had the same cell phone for four years. Yeah, you read that right. It was the kind that flipped open and had a full keyboard inside. It had a 3 mexapixel camera and could only send 160 characters of text at a time. I can't tell you why I was so attached to it, but I was. I loved that old phone. Over the weekend, the battery died, and when I plugged it in... nothing. It was gone. Broken. I had to get a new one. I had no choice but to finally catch up to the millennium and get a smart phone. I'm trying not to be all "first world problemy" about it, but I'm weirdly bummed out about this whole thing. My bill went up, this thing is awkward to hold, and I miss having an actual keyboard. I'm sure I'll learn to love it, but for now, the whole thing is a pain in the ass.

I feel your "pain." I have had the same phone for 3 years now, and the battery won't keep a charge for nearly as long as it used to. To get a new battery is an obscene amount of money since it is old, and not worth it just to keep the same phone I love so dear (full keyboard FTW). I'm going to have to upgrade soon and I think I'm going with a new service that charges just for what you use, no pre-designated bill. The downside is that the service only works for smart phones.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:08 pm

The screeny keyboard never becomes not-terrible. Never ever. My next phone will have an actual-buttons keyboard, if good phone stuff is not extinct by then.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Update: my mom's out of the hospital, as of earlier tonight. They still aren't 100% sure why it happened, but she should be relatively fine.

Oh, and this isn't a complaint. I'm just keeping all information related to this in the same place.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EsBe » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:10 am

Good to hear.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby James » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:22 am

mulpis wrote:It had a 3 mexapixel camera and could only send 160 characters of text at a time.

Where did the extra 20 characters come from?

ntw3001 wrote:The screeny keyboard never becomes not-terrible. Never ever. My next phone will have an actual-buttons keyboard, if good phone stuff is not extinct by then.

I do pretty well with SwiftKey. I mash my fingers in the approximate position of the desired characters and it works out what I actually meant with reasonable accuracy. It has a weird aversion to hyphenated words, though, and a separate, much impoverished dictionary for words in all caps. I can improve the latter by sorting a lot, of course.

jvcc wrote:Update: my mom's out of the hospital, as of earlier tonight. They still aren't 100% sure why it happened, but she should be relatively fine.

Oh, and this isn't a complaint. I'm just keeping all information related to this in the same place.

That's a relief.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Skimba » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:43 pm

That is good to hear jvcc. I hope she stays well.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby mulpis » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:21 pm

My six year old has to have surgery next week. It's a fairly simple outpatient procedure with a two or three day recovery period, but still, she's beyond terrified and I'm having a hard time keeping up my brave face for her benefit.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Will the changed health care landscape be helping you at all?
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby Null » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:51 am

Mulpis--create whatever brave face you need, even if you don't feel the bravery. Your child sees you as the ultimate authority; be that.
Null

Postby James » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:51 pm

It's heartbreaking to see children thrust into frightening situations they don't fully understand. Best wishes and best of luck.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby MysticalDescent » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:59 pm

I really hope that everything works out alright.
MysticalDescent

Postby sum yun gai » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 pm

is it too late to suggest keeping some gizzards in a bit of water in the fridge, and when she comes home tell her you saved the parts the doctors took out of her? :P
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby mulpis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:29 pm

FYI, my little peanut's surgery went perfectly. She was super brave, and she's resting at home now, binge-watching My Little Pony and mainlining pudding cups.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above