A whine and complain thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Re: A whine and complain thread

Postby jvcc » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:55 pm

ntw3001 wrote:everyone's first year is a horrorshow

Yes. Nerves every class period, confrontational students, bored students, sarcastic students. Essays you make them write because your supervisor handed you a syllabus, but you don't fully understand the assignment yourself.

ntw3001 wrote:I'd much rather have some assurance that I'm actually doing things right, though.

Do you remember that you started drawing a children's book one time about a Panda who worked a gym? And a mole, or something, that watched the weather channel. Seven-year-olds love that kind of thing. Also, if you show young kids that you're decent at drawing, they'll never stop asking you to draw things for them.

You may already have showcased your drawing abilities for the kids. In any case, I'm just using that as evidence of some skills you already have (creativity and a sense of humor) that will appeal to students in that age range.

EDIT: I found it!
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:03 pm

Okay I just sent an email to my prospective replacement telling them that it's a good place to work. And :( because it would have been a good place for me if the students hadn't hated me quite so passionately. But yeah, I tried to turn it around and it basically did not work and I had no other ideas. So I could either say 'don't worry, I'll win them over, I'll stay' (and almost certainly fail to win the over), or I could... not say that. And the worst thing for me, my employer and my students would be for me to stay here a whole year and continue to be disliked and lose students.

My manager has offered to shop around for other branches of this school who need a useful teacher of high schoolers and adults, because I've been getting rave reviews from those students. It's just that they're only here seasonally, and the bread and butter of this enterprise is the young teenagers whom I can't amuse in any way. So I'm really hoping something comes up, because I've got no special desire to go back to the UK. I'd like to stay right here in Ulsan where I know some nice people and nice places, but I doubt that's going to happen. Realistically, I'll probably be flying right back home.

I now have to consider the job I have lined up in Japan early next year. Do I want to teach kindergarteners? I've got on well with them in this job, but will I be able to do the next job? I've currently got low confidence in my ability to deal with kids. Mayhap I can find some way to get experience with that age group while I'm at home. It probably would have helped with this job if I'd ever seen a class of thirteen year-olds since being one of them. Like, if I had any idea how the beloved previous teacher interacted with the students I could have worked with that.

Another option might be to look into studying a MBA. Such a qualification would be useful by itself, and could also help me get into a pleasant situation teaching business English, or working at a university. These jobs would probably suit me more. Less acting for children, more talking to grown-ups. This, I feel, is more my style.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:49 pm

If you ever want to give the 9-12 age bracket another crack, come spend 2 months here, we'll get you a criminal reference check and some volunteer papers and experience. I teach all in French, so it might not be exactly what you'd visualize, however the mannerisms, techniques, assignments and stuff would almost certainly translate.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby mulpis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:56 am

Its broken. Eight to ten weeks in this stupid boot. There goes the rest of my summer. No swimming. No biking. No hiking. No kayaking. No theme parks. I can't even play with my kids in the backyard. This sucks. :-( :-( :-(

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:05 pm

Ouch! Hope it gets well soon. Meanwhile I'll do some extra exercise for you ;)

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:00 am

chrismachine wrote:If you ever want to give the 9-12 age bracket another crack, come spend 2 months here, we'll get you a criminal reference check and some volunteer papers and experience. I teach all in French, so it might not be exactly what you'd visualize, however the mannerisms, techniques, assignments and stuff would almost certainly translate.

This sounds really good, thanks! I'm not sure what my next move will be (I'm hoping I can find something else where I am, although I'd also consider going back to university), but if money allows it I may take you up on that. I've also given a little consideration to returning to Canada anyway, and the working visa scheme I used before won't be available after I'm 30 (November 2016). So if I did decide to do that, I'd have to do it fairly soon.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:36 am

Sorry to hear that, Mulpis!

Enty, I'm sure you could find at least a childcare job in the UK where you would be working with kindergarteners.

When it comes to kids, they're one of my favorite age groups to work with. They're old enough to communicate, but not so old that they have rigid ideas about themselves, how they relate to other people, or reality itself--what I mean is, they're usually very curious, open-minded, and imaginative. Some of the more intelligent, articulate, and mature ones will have a clear sense of right and wrong, fair and unfair, etc., but most are pretty focused on themselves and still have very strong emotions and mood swings like toddlers do. Fortunately, if they're upset and it's not a major issue, they're young enough that you can usually just distract them with a toy or something and they'll calm down. Obviously, they have lots of energy, but also have the ability to focus for extended periods of time if something captures their interest.

I think the Montessori model is ideal for kindergarteners. It's essentially student-centered learning, where you set up activity stations and children have freedom to move around and study what interests them. In any case, any curriculum or pedagogy that doesn't require them to sit still and be quiet will probably be at least relatively effective.

But yeah, kids in that age group are great.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:29 pm

Bleh I feel sad.

I don't want to go home, but I'm also currently not loving travelling either. My basic problem is that just about everyone I know is in a couple, which means they do all their social things as couples. I go out and see people in bars on Saturdays, and do very little else ever. There are (allegedly) things to do, but not people to do them with. I am so very bored.

I suspect the only solution would be to find a girlfriend, but that ain't necessarily an easy thing! Especially while I'm stressed from work (as of tomorrow I have exam prep classes; the texts are English but the instructions are Korean, so I can't find out what I should actually be doing), unavailable on weekday evenings due to my working hours and gaining weight fast from engaging in the sole pastime of drinking. Also, a subset of my friends seem to have decided to make it their quest to hook me up with absolutely anyone (it is annoying!). I'm of the opinion that they should get their own dang girlfriends.

jvcc wrote:I think the Montessori model is ideal for kindergarteners. It's essentially student-centered learning, where you set up activity stations and children have freedom to move around and study what interests them. In any case, any curriculum or pedagogy that doesn't require them to sit still and be quiet will probably be at least relatively effective.

But yeah, kids in that age group are great.

Yeah, I'd much rather have more control over my lessons, but it doesn't seem to be the Korean way. Parents tend to check the textbooks, so we have to work through them at a decent rate (also, my planning time is currently the five-minute break following every second lesson). I've tried just rattling through stuff as a class and boarding the answers so we can do something else, but even with the answers written on the board some students won't pick up a pen or open the book. Like... just circle A, then B, then A, then C. Then we'll do something else. Whoops, no, it's been half an hour, and the class is almost over. The students believe the class is over and pack away their books. I tell them we haven't finished, so they take the books out and pack them away again.

It's a mood that comes and goes, but at the moment I don't really want to be travelling or teaching. Travelling less so, because it's always been fine before. But in teaching (in Korea at least), it seems like it's just not possible to do the job well.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:01 am

Blurgh more students are apparently on the point of leaving because of my classes. I'm surprised a job can go this badly, but there you go. I can't wait to leave (at the end of August!), and I'm sure my manager can't either. Hopefully there will still be a few good students left by then.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:59 pm

I hope there was students left! Boredom is another thing. Good luck with all of it! <rant redacted about drinking due to of boredom>. I drink less than before now, mostly! Really. Not sober right now though. Being already home is awesome!
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:41 pm

I have piles (hemorrhoids). And to make it worse one popped :(

Ow ow ow :( :( :(
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:49 pm

That sounds horrific. Does that have to do with how much or on what you are sitting, or is it just a matter of luck, those things? Hopefully the pain is short-lived.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:17 pm

I really don't know. They just sort of appeared Saturday night. Burst Tuesday afternoon.
My Spamusements!

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:21 pm

I was supposed to be trying to find work in Korea this week (as I'll be out of work at the end of the month), but apparently I haven't done it today. I got caught up with trying to arrange meeting my sister in Seoul over Chuseok (a harvest celebration, a long weekend from the 26th-29th.. followed by a single, final day of work on the 30th, which is a pain). Did you know that booking a train in Korea is a huge hassle? It is. Just... navigating websites. Even in English. Blurgh.

I mean, it didn't take the entire day to book this ticket, but in addition last week the manager's son came up with the excellent joke of coughing in my face at every opportunity and, on an unrelated note, I somehow became sick? Cough, headache. Nothing dreadful, but enough to make what will almost certainly be my last weekend in Ulsan a decidedly unpleasant stay-at-home one, in the company of over-the-counter medicine which I'm pretty sure is not intended for coughs. Not that there are many other available weekend types: Stay at home, or go out and get blind drunk. It's a shame to go home (God knows I don't have much reason to be there), but weekends like this make me unenthusiastic about staying.

I'm not sure whether this town is dreadful or I'm just deficient in my ability to have fun. People seem to love travelling, but I'm mostly into the not-being-at-home side of it and less interested in the being-wherever-I-am part. I'd probably be happier if I were staying in hostels instead of working; hostels can be pretty fun (they have people in them, who also want to meet people), but living in a place is just kind of a grind (everyone already has friends, and I also have work).

Other ESL teachers seem to have a much more relaxing time, too. I suspect it has something to do with the level of work in most hagwons compared to mine (it is noted amongst local ESL circles). Overall I'm not sad to be leaving, but not happy to be going home. Perhaps I'll spend some time doing the improved, fun-style travelling before heading back.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:14 pm

I think i made someone delete their profile on a dating site?
My Spamusements!

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:53 am

Ooh. How so?

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:39 pm

Was trying to let him down gently by saying how he was coming on too strong, and felt that age wise, he was too old for me... guess he took it badly.
My Spamusements!

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:49 pm

IanC wrote:Was trying to let him down gently by saying how he was coming on too strong, and felt that age wise, he was too old for me... guess he took it badly.

Gonna throw it out there that a person who's already a bit too old for you should probably be enough of an adult to deal with rejection from someone they have no emotional investment in. It's a miracle he lasted this long on the internet to even make it to a dating site.

sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:50 am

EsBe wrote:
IanC wrote:Was trying to let him down gently by saying how he was coming on too strong, and felt that age wise, he was too old for me... guess he took it badly.

Gonna throw it out there that a person who's already a bit too old for you should probably be enough of an adult to deal with rejection from someone they have no emotional investment in. It's a miracle he lasted this long on the internet to even make it to a dating site.

Not to mention all the fakery that goes into online dating to begin with. Are you *sure* you know this was who they said they were?

I had a very similar experience many many years ago when I tried online dating. Met a woman I thought was incredibly well-suited to what I was looking for, we started to make plans, then those plans got pushed back, then pushed back again, then the email saying how she couldn't possibly "put you through this" and was subsequently "taking a break" and *poof* her account was gone. At the time I took it badly, because I very much wanted to believe "she" was real, but as time goes by I'm pretty sure it was someone rickin'-frackin' with my head and got whatever they wanted out of it and moved on to the next person.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:10 pm

I might just give up. What's the point, like anyone would seriously be into me, like you said, just messing with my head.
My Spamusements!

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:38 pm

I mean, it seems equally likely that some people do start out with the intention of meeting up with people but then get overwhelmed with other priorities and have to back out.

When I was younger I had arranged to meet up for coffee with a guy I'd chatted with a bit, then a day or so before chickened out and sent him a message explaining that I'd realized it wasn't a good time for me to start dating, etc. I also deleted my profile. Had zero to do with him, either in terms of not liking him or wanting to mess with him. I was just too busy with school and a little insecure in myself.

That being said, of late I've had more luck with dating sites.

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:13 pm

For what it's worth, I've recently had some luck with a dating website.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Well fork a doodle doo for you two.
My Spamusements!

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:28 pm

Eh, they've been super hit-or-miss-but-mostly-miss-actually-all-miss for me. Well, dating as a whole has. I've found it doesn't make sense for me to start spending time with someone when there's an expectation of CHEMISTRY OR FAILURE. I've made more meaningful connections walking up to people and saying "Hi, let's be friends."

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:10 pm

Ian, do you think we mentioned our success to rub it in your face or to encourage you to not get discouraged because, hey, it can work sometimes? For me, it was the latter. I did not mean any offense by what I said.

I'm not bothered by your passive aggressive comment, as my guess is that you're just displacing your frustration about something else onto Mysty and me. I will let you know that I perceive it, though.

Regarding the in-real-life / online-dating discussion, I feel more personally accomplished when I pick up someone in real life, and I often find it to be more exciting. But the benefit of online dating is that I have time to consider what I say and find it easier to be straightforward. They're different experiences that can lead to different types of relationships, but each involves real people and I don't really see them as hierarchical.

Return to “None of the Above”