Random Thoughts

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Nyperold » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:14 am

Skimba wrote:It's CDO, damnit! Please keep it in alphabetical order.

That stands for Bcddeeeei Iilmoooprr Sssssuvv, right?

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:17 am

If I had infinite money, I would almost certainly spend several days per week phoning up people in foreign countries and having strange conversations with them. This idea is almost entirely inspired by my house getting an international phonecall off an American guy yesterday, who had the wrong number.

I'd probably also spend some time considering the inflation crisis that I'd caused by having infinite money.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:13 pm

united states
canada
mexico
panama
haiti
jamaica
peru
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:50 am

sum yun gai wrote:united states
canada
mexico
panama
haiti
jamaica
peru

Republic Dominican; Cuba, Caribbean; Greenland; El Salvador too.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:53 am

I've been everywhere, man.

...wait, wrong song.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:10 am

new motorola tablet set to launch. it's being called the "xoom" which i keep reading as "exhume", which is what i imagine they're going to be doing with these tablets in a few years after they fail to catch on.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:50 am

I don't know, maybe one of you have, but I don't recall ever hearing of a song that uses metric units in the lyrics.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:39 am

I'm sure it's had to have happened at some point but I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I suppose a big part of it is that the metrics (heh) are harder to fit into songs. Can you imagine the Who singing,

I can see for kilometers and kilometers,
I can see for kilometers and kilometers and kilometers and kilometers and kilometers ...

Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Binkatron5000 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:35 am

PonderThis wrote:I'm sure it's had to have happened at some point but I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I suppose a big part of it is that the metrics (heh) are harder to fit into songs. Can you imagine the Who singing,

I can see for kilometers and kilometers and kilometers and kilometers and kilometers ...

Hahahahhaha I would listen to this.
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.

Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:41 pm

It's time for the:

...Don't ask, spur of the moment thing....
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:59 am

I've been watching Girls Who Do Comedy on YouTube, which is a series of interviews with female comedians conducted by Dawn French, and almost all of the women said that being funny never helped them to get boys when they were younger and some were convinced that men aren't attracted to funny women. I don't think that I agree with that, but it's always possible that my knowledge of human nature isn't extensive enough to make judgments about such matters.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:00 pm

I almost want to retract this question, because as I was watching [i]Boys Who Do Comedy[i] I saw that they hardly asked the men about women at all. For the women over half an episode was devoted to questions about whether or not being funny made them attractive to men, if they had to curtail their comedy in order to not emasculate men, if they prefer being in relationships with funny men, questions about their husbands, etc. For the men it was, "Does being funny make you more attractive? Yes? Alright, let's move on." It's made me very upset, because the program was supposed to be about female comedians, but it still fell prey to the idea (implicitly and, I assume, not intentionally) that women's identity or importance is defined in relation to men.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Yeah, it's pretty awful that a significant portion of all media still insists on defining women in terms of the men in their lives (or not in their lives, as the case may be). The implication being that men do stuff, and women marry men who do stuff, and perhaps do a bit of their own stuff on the side if they can find the time.

Not that I have any idea what it's like to be a woman, but I find it pretty patronizing. I really noticed it in the film Kick Ass, for some reason. I'm not sure if it's a particularly bad example, or if I just reached some kind of tipping point, but it really annoyed me that the girlfriend character existed for no other purpose than to be some sort of objective for the main guy. I came away from the film knowing nothing about her at all.

Stupid world.

Stupid world.
SIGNATURE: GONE

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:24 pm

James wrote:Not that I have any idea what it's like to be a woman, but I find it pretty patronizing. I really noticed it in the film Kick Ass, for some reason. I'm not sure if it's a particularly bad example, or if I just reached some kind of tipping point, but it really annoyed me that the girlfriend character existed for no other purpose than to be some sort of objective for the main guy. I came away from the film knowing nothing about her at all.

I think it's very good that you notice it, particularly because you aren't the one being patronized. Yes, the protagonist's love interest in Kick Ass was an appallingly flat character. I don't think that it was particularly bad example, since (particularly with movies aimed at a wider audience, as opposed to independent films) that seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

I will say, though,--and I thought about this a lot after finishing the series--that I was really pleased with the portrayal of women in Dead Set. Horror/action movies and tv shows have a history of putting women in the role of the useless victim (think Barbara in Night of the Living Dead), but in Dead Set there were a few who were able to keep calm under pressure, rescue themselves and others from dangerous scenarios, and assume leadership positions. Not all of them, obviously, because in a disaster situation some people step up and some fall completely to pieces, which is only to be expected.

Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Binkatron5000 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:58 am

James wrote:
Stupid world.

That was... unfortunate. And sad. Or something. I don't have the right words at 7am.
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 pm

James wrote:Stupid world.

While waiting the three to four hundred years it will take this two minute video to load, I'm reading through the comments to try and establish what exactly I might see. They are giving away nothing. It seems to be the verdict that the video will be in some way bad, for some reason, and it features children. Beyond that, I have no clue.

UPDATE: I'm fifteen seconds in, I don't like it.

ONE MINUTE AND FIVE go away children stop telling me about marketing

1:40 I am being trash talked by twelve year-olds

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Yeah I didn't watch it. Like you, enty, I read through the comments first and figured the video somehow concerned children being sanctimonious. Having long ago decided I don't need children preaching to me I didn't watch.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:45 pm

PonderThis wrote:Yeah I didn't watch it. Like you, enty, I read through the comments first and figured the video somehow concerned children being sanctimonious. Having long ago decided don't need children preaching to me I didn't watch.

It's much worse even than that: it's an enormously stereotypical awful marketing firm using children as a mouthpiece for its ridiculous smug marketing speak.

My response: kindly desist.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Why can I no longer scroll through videos for the parts I like on youtube? Not that I liked a single thing in that video, but when I was looking for a certain part I couldn't find that red bar anywhere.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:05 pm

chrismachine wrote:Why can I no longer scroll through videos for the parts I like on youtube? Not that I liked a single thing in that video, but when I was looking for a certain part I couldn't find that red bar anywhere.

It could be because that particular video is displaying with their HTML5 player rather than their traditional Flash player, and perhaps your browser isn't fully compatible with the former. You can find some information about that here.

It's probably something else, though. I thought the difference between the Flash player and the HTML5 player was that the latter had the volume bar projecting to the right rather than upwards, but apparently I don't currently have the HTML5 beta on, and that video was displaying as Flash for me, and the volume bar was projecting rightwards. So I don't bloody know. Evil spirits?

Domarius
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Domarius » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:47 pm

jvcc wrote:I almost want to retract this question, because as I was watching [i]Boys Who Do Comedy[i] I saw that they hardly asked the men about women at all. For the women over half an episode was devoted to questions about whether or not being funny made them attractive to men, if they had to curtail their comedy in order to not emasculate men, if they prefer being in relationships with funny men, questions about their husbands, etc. For the men it was, "Does being funny make you more attractive? Yes? Alright, let's move on." It's made me very upset, because the program was supposed to be about female comedians, but it still fell prey to the idea (implicitly and, I assume, not intentionally) that women's identity or importance is defined in relation to men.

It's worse that it was unintentional, it means the urge to go down that route is ingrained - in the interviewers, and in the interviewees, and happens without question.

If you want my opinion (and even if you don't) I believe it's obvious having a sense of humor is essential for an attractive male, and as for females, well I speak for myself when I say I find a really funny girl a huge turn on. Fav Australian female comedians I would love to do NSFW things to; Sarah Kendall, Cal Wilson.

Domarius
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Domarius » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:49 pm

And my random thought contribution to this thread is;

I find it amusing that the biggest thread in the entire forum is the "BLURT thread" by about 180 posts (380~). Followed closely by the next huge monster of a thread, the "Show yourself" thread, at 200~ posts.

One can construe Spamusers are quite narcissistic with lots of repressed issues. I can roll with that.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Domarius wrote:If you want my opinion (and even if you don't) I believe it's obvious having a sense of humor is essential for an attractive male, and as for females, well I speak for myself when I say I find a really funny girl a huge turn on. Fav Australian female comedians I would love to do NSFW things to; Sarah Kendall, Cal Wilson.

I'm not really that familiar with the Australian comedy scene, but watching British tv it seems like there a lot more female comedians, or at least a lot more good female comedians, than on American tv. Off the top of my head, Josie Long, Victoria Coren, and Sue Perkins are three very funny and intelligent British comedians, and the only American equivalent I can think of is Tina Fey.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:05 pm

jvcc wrote:I'm not really that familiar with the Australian comedy scene, but watching British tv it seems like there a lot more female comedians, or at least a lot more good female comedians, than on American tv. Off the top of my head, Josie Long, Victoria Coren, and Sue Perkins are three very funny and intelligent British comedians, and the only American equivalent I can think of is Tina Fey.

off the top of my head:

eliza schlesinger
chelsea peretti
wanda sykes
wendy liebman

i know i've seen some other good female comedians (comediennes?) but their names escape me at the moment...

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Wanda Sykes is not funny, and oh god neither is Tina Fey.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

Return to “None of the Above”