Random Thoughts

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
User avatar
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 3525
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:42 pm
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Binkatron5000 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 pm

I love Nikki Payne! She's adorable and dirty and hilarious.
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby jvcc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 pm

chrismachine wrote:Wanda Sykes is not funny, and oh god neither is Tina Fey.

I agree about Sykes, and I don't find Eliza Schlesinger funny either, but Tina Fey is a great comedic actress and writer and has been behind a lot of great tv and movies.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
IanC
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2857
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:49 pm
Location: Essex, England, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby IanC » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Hey its March. Wohoo.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

Image

User avatar
chrismachine
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6148
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:24 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby chrismachine » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:10 pm

jvcc wrote:
chrismachine wrote:Wanda Sykes is not funny, and oh god neither is Tina Fey.

I agree about Sykes, and I don't find Eliza Schlesinger funny either, but Tina Fey is a great comedic actress and writer and has been behind a lot of great tv and movies.

I looked her up and it turns out I got her confused with the one on the right.

Image

I guess I don't know much about these two, but the 48 seconds I've seen of the one on the right have all been her making that face but about 4 times more exaggerated as the punchline. Tina Fey, then, may well be funny, though I can't confirm that either.
Image
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby jvcc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:57 pm

WATCH 30 ROCK
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 10962
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:11 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby giantsfan97 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:26 pm

chrismachine wrote:neither is Tina Fey.

BLASPHEMY

Oh I read on and you meant Amy Poehler. I don't find her particularly funny either. Nor Wanda Sykes.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby jvcc » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Has anybody been to a comic con before? Are they fun? Some people I know will be going to C2E2 in Chicago over spring break. The things I would be most interested in would be a panel discussion with people from The Walking Dead tv series and the Cyanide and Happiness booth.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
chrismachine
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6148
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:24 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby chrismachine » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:49 pm

That second thing might be interesting. I've never been to anything like that.
Image
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

User avatar
PonderThis
Site Admin
Posts: 11928
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby PonderThis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:35 am

I went to a few science fiction and/or comic cons back in the day and the amount of awesome varies considerably from con to con.

If this con has a good rep, though, I say go for it. I bet you'll have a blast, especially with a group of friends.

User avatar
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Nyperold » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:23 pm

So I think I must have forgotten to keep checking the mail until it came yesterday. Still, that means that one of those days, I got at least two nickels, because over the course of those two days, we were sent a nickel each by: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, and The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I guess it must be effective among enough people.

User avatar
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:24 am
Location: Mexico. The place where the white boys dance
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby fanelian » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:14 am

giantsfan97 wrote:
chrismachine wrote:neither is Tina Fey.

BLASPHEMY

Oh I read on and you meant Amy Poehler. I don't find her particularly funny either. Nor Wanda Sykes.


I AGREE WITH GF.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

User avatar
PonderThis
Site Admin
Posts: 11928
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby PonderThis » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:56 am

Whyfor nobody draws the comixes laterly? I WANTS TEH COMIXES. :n/

User avatar
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:24 am
Location: Mexico. The place where the white boys dance
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby fanelian » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:42 pm

While I can do cute I rarely hit it at Funny. I have a drawing in a post it for a spamusement that I haven't gotten around to upload, because I think it's funny but.. you know, that. Also, I don't get good spam so much.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

User avatar
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4652
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:56 am
Location: TN
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Null » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 pm

PonderThis wrote:Whyfor nobody draws the comixes laterly? I WANTS TEH COMIXES. :n/

I--
I just took a ride
on a silver machine
and I'm still feeling mean

Do you wanna fly
See yourself going by
The other side of the sky
I got a silver machine

It flies
Sideways in time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

I GOT A SILVER MACHINE

User avatar
IanC
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2857
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:49 pm
Location: Essex, England, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby IanC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:40 am

fanelian wrote:While I can do cute I rarely hit it at Funny. I have a drawing in a post it for a spamusement that I haven't gotten around to upload, because I think it's funny but.. you know, that. Also, I don't get good spam so much.



Cute is good. It doesn't have to be funny if its cute.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

Image

User avatar
PonderThis
Site Admin
Posts: 11928
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby PonderThis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 am

IanC wrote:
fanelian wrote:While I can do cute I rarely hit it at Funny. I have a drawing in a post it for a spamusement that I haven't gotten around to upload, because I think it's funny but.. you know, that. Also, I don't get good spam so much.

Cute is good. It doesn't have to be funny if its cute.

Ian is EZZZZZACKLY RIGHT!

User avatar
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4506
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:51 am
Location: La-la land

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby sum yun gai » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:32 pm

don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey?
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.


traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

User avatar
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4506
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:51 am
Location: La-la land

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 am

back to female comics who are super funny: maria bamford
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.


traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

User avatar
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Stoke, England

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:34 pm

How does it come to be that certain historical figures come to be popularly known by certain names, such as Boadicea or Genghis Khan, but scholars then decide that their real names are something else altogether, such as Boudicca and Chinngis Khan?
Image

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby jvcc » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:51 pm

I always find it weird when people call countries by names different to what those living in that country call it themselves. Americans call Puerto Rico "Porto Rico" and Zhōngguó "China". I know that the latter is difficult for those who speak English as a first language to pronounce (which is probably part of the reason why historical figures' names are changed as well), but it seems like it would be so much simpler to just learn it correctly.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:57 am
Location: Fort Mitchell, KY, USA
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:11 am

Mostly, those sorts of things are due to a word originally being transliterated into the spelling of a different, at that time more prestigious language (Latin for Bodicaea, medieval Italian for Genghis Khan), then the modern scholars choosing a new transliteration better fitting modern English pronunciation. China is a case of that happening through multiple languages before reaching English. As for it being simpler to learn the original, when you're surrounded by everyone else calling it "China" and referring to it by the correct name is likely to simply result in confusion in everyone else since most of them haven't even heard of it, there isn't much of an incentive to do so.

As for "Porto Rico", I've never seen it spelled that way but I have heard it occasionally pronounced that, probably because the sound represented by "ue" is simply hard for speakers of some English dialects to pronounce, as you said, along with possibly the English word "port" as an influence towards an easier pronunciation. If someone does spell it like that, it's probably an example of them spelling it the way they pronounce it.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

User avatar
Saltine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 5273
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:24 am
Location: Cambridge, MA, US
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Saltine » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:17 am

"Pure-toe rice-oh"
--Saltine

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby jvcc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:18 am

No, no one spells it that way, but they pronounce it so. I had other, better examples of people calling countries by names completely different to their names, but I forgot them. Hopefully I'll remember soon.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
chrismachine
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6148
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:24 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby chrismachine » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:39 pm

Germany? Holland/Netherlands/Pays Bas (in French)?
Image
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

User avatar
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Stoke, England

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:42 pm

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Mostly, those sorts of things are due to a word originally being transliterated into the spelling of a different, at that time more prestigious language (Latin for Bodicaea, medieval Italian for Genghis Khan), then the modern scholars choosing a new transliteration better fitting modern English pronunciation. China is a case of that happening through multiple languages before reaching English. As for it being simpler to learn the original, when you're surrounded by everyone else calling it "China" and referring to it by the correct name is likely to simply result in confusion in everyone else since most of them haven't even heard of it, there isn't much of an incentive to do so.


Interesting. Are 'Boudicca' and 'Chinngis' really that much more fitting for modern English, though?
Image


Return to “None of the Above”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest