Random Thoughts

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby jvcc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Does anyone know what "HBC" might stand for? It's used in the poem "Kabba Questions the Ontology of Representation, the Catch 22 for 'Black' Writers" by Daljit Nagra. The speaker of the poem is a man who was born in India but is now living in Britain who is discussing a GCSE anthology of poetry with his son's teacher. It goes:
"Vy giv my boy
dis freebie of a silky blue
GCSE anthology with its three poets
from three parts of Briten - yor HBC
of Eaney, Blake,
Clarke, showing us how
to tink and feel?"
I think that "Eaney" refers to Seamus Heaney, but I have no idea what HBC might be.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Heaney, Blake, Clarke?
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what else it might be. If it's some play on words I have no idea. Houston Boychoir?

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Dusk wrote:Heaney, Blake, Clarke?

Genius. That's probably it.

Enty wrote:Houston Boychoir?

I read that as "Houston Boychair," and pictured some sort of chair made of boys.

Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Zombie Protestor » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:00 pm

From Wikipedia:

Historically black colleges and universities, sometimes abbreviated as HBC instead of HBCU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HBC_(disambiguation)
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:50 pm

I just realized that people who weren't there can't know that when I say "I'm agree" I'm making an inside joke.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:18 pm

jvcc wrote:
Dusk wrote:Heaney, Blake, Clarke?

Genius. That's probably it.

If I remember my GCSE anthology rightly, it was Seamus Heaney (didn't study him), Gillian Clarke (didn't study her), Simon Armitage and Carol Ann Duffy (you almost learn to tolerate her, then you take English Literature at A-Level and get saddled with having to study one of her books of poetry and you start to plan her assassination). Oh, there was also a small section of miscellaneous, largely mediocre modern poetry in the front and a few older poems stuffed in the back. Heaney, Clarke, Armitage and Duffy were the headliners, though. There was probably some Blake in there somewhere, not that I can remember. I have an actual copy of it upstairs, but I've archived it and it's therefore completely inaccessible.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:I have an actual copy of it upstairs, but I've archived it and it's therefore completely inaccessible.

I think I've spotted a flaw in your archiving system.

He's probably taking poetic license in order to make a comment about Blake, I assume.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 am

Or perhaps the curriculum was just different when it was written. All I remember of poetry in school is war poems. Dulce et decorum est and all that.
SIGNATURE: GONE

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:21 am

James wrote:Or perhaps the curriculum was just different when it was written. All I remember of poetry in school is war poems. Dulce et decorum est and all that.

That was an entire A-Level module in my day. The exam board missed a trick with that. The question was always exactly the same but they'd give you three different poems every year, so you just wrote an essay that included comparisons with other poems well in advance, memorised it and then adapted it to include the sources in the exam.

The more I think about it, A-Level English Literature wasn't that great.

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Two physics questions (I post a lot of these apparently):

1) If I drop two items of different mass, they fall at the same rate, blah blah blah. I got that. But if I connect those two objects, say, by putting a ball of putty on the end of a pencil, does the ball of putty end hit the ground first? I seem to remember from all the archival footage of bombs dropping that they are dropped horizontally and rotate so that they are vertical.

2) What if I put two items of different mass on an incline? Say, I have a full minecart and an empty one and let them go at the top of different 45 degree inclines. Will the heavier one reach the bottom first? If so, is this simply a function of its ability to better overcome friction rather than it falling faster?
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:09 am

Not super sure, but:

1) No, bombs orient themselves nose-down because of their fins.

2) *shrug* Let's say yes!

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:04 am

EsBe wrote:Not super sure, but:

1) No, bombs orient themselves nose-down because of their fins.

2) Really depends on the length of the inclines. Inertia would affect the initial start, the lighter mass one would overcome inertia faster than the heavier mass one, but because the of the higher mass, the heavier cart would go faster overall. There would be certain lengths where the outcome is cart X reaches the bottom before cart Y (infinite outcomes <distance Z), one outcome where cart X reaches the bottom at the exact same time as cart Y (distance Z), and outcomes where cart X reaches bottom after cart Y (infinite outcomes >distance Z.) This occurs this way because terminal velocity only affects free falling objects.

I could give you equations, but I would need to find my high school notebook to help me remember how to set something like this up. Math people, help?

Also during this I managed to think of at least one exception to this, which would be in space, then this would not matter since you would be hard pressed to get these suckers on inclines and have them roll down in microgravity.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby badplantmommy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Not a math or science person here (really! I barely passed high school algebra, and took "easy science for the person who is going to go to community college."). I am leaving this thread before I get a physics headache! :wink:
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:41 pm

jvcc wrote:I think I've spotted a flaw in your archiving system.

Then you clearly haven't watched Yes, Minister, and I would insist as strongly as possible that you do immediately. That's only because it's currently my favourite thing on TV, despite being a repeat from 30 years ago.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Zombie Protestor wrote:Two physics questions (I post a lot of these apparently):

1) If I drop two items of different mass, they fall at the same rate, blah blah blah. I got that. But if I connect those two objects, say, by putting a ball of putty on the end of a pencil, does the ball of putty end hit the ground first? I seem to remember from all the archival footage of bombs dropping that they are dropped horizontally and rotate so that they are vertical.

2) What if I put two items of different mass on an incline? Say, I have a full minecart and an empty one and let them go at the top of different 45 degree inclines. Will the heavier one reach the bottom first? If so, is this simply a function of its ability to better overcome friction rather than it falling faster?

They're both questions that I think I'll have done in some form during M1 and M2 at A-Level maths and possibly Unit 2 in A-Level Physics, although that was less complicated than the maths version.

The first one depends on a load of stuff. If the ball of putty is perfectly spherical, perfectly centred on the pencil and the pencil is dropped perfectly vertically in a vacuum, then the putty won't hit the ground first, I think. I suppose that what happens is that the putty and the pencil act as one object with a different centre of mass to the pencil on its own, so that's where gravity will mostly pull it from and that could cause the putty to hit the ground first, depending on weights, height dropped from, the way it's dropped and all that stuff.

Number two is, I think, simpler. You could make it more complicated, but if you started off by modelling it as two different boxes on a slope with a certain coefficient of friction, if you know the angle of the slope and the two masses you would probably have enough to work out which would go down the quickest. You could get the reaction force of the slope for each one using the masses and trigonometry, you could work out the force of friction that opposes the motion from that and you could work out the component of the force of gravity that would cause motion down the slope. You'd then have the overall force, which can be used with Newton's second law to get the acceleration and then assuming constant acceleration you'd know the two velocities after a certain time or at a certain point. That's a rough calculation and if you wanted to get more accurate I suppose you'd have to consider that they're on four wheels and there'll be different levels of friction in each one or something like that. Jek actually does this better than me.

Or, I may have recalled some things very badly and you should disregard all of this.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:08 am

MysticalDescent wrote:
jvcc wrote:I think I've spotted a flaw in your archiving system.

Then you clearly haven't watched Yes, Minister, and I would insist as strongly as possible that you do immediately. That's only because it's currently my favourite thing on TV, despite being a repeat from 30 years ago.

It really is rather excellent. Then watch The Thick of It for a more modern and sweary take on things.

Sweary... SWERY65.

Isn't the thing with falling objects that they accelerate at the same rate (9.81 ms^-2, I believe), but their weight influences their ability to overcome air resistance, and therefore their terminal velocity? So the lighter end reaches its terminal velocity first (provided the drag coefficients of the two ends are roughly equal). I don't know how all that influences the overall terminal velocity, though.
Last edited by James on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIGNATURE: GONE

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Tech-savvy people: I have received an iPod nano as a birthday/Christmas gift and want to be able to listen to it in my car. Should I get an adapter or an iPod dock? If possible, use the specific names of products so I can find them on eBay. Thank you.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Does your car have a jack socket? If so, you can be dealin' with a male-to-male jack lead. Here. I don't know if that's the best jack lead in the world, but it was the first one to come up on Google.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:22 pm

jvcc wrote:Tech-savvy people: I have received an iPod nano as a birthday/Christmas gift and want to be able to listen to it in my car. Should I get an adapter or an iPod dock? If possible, use the specific names of products so I can find them on eBay. Thank you.

Tape deck adapters are more reliable overall but cut a tiny bit of the quality, and will break down after about a year of constant use. Example: http://www.amazon.com/CASSETTE-TAPE-DEC ... B001DNTGY4 . I use a similar type of tape deck converter in my car, I got mine at FYE for ~$10.

iPod transmitters will not break down, but are fairly prone to radio interference if not right next to the radio. They are also more compact and good for bringing to parties. I got mine on ebay for $15. I used this more often when I was lifeguarding, since the tape deck at the place made it sound like crap.

Alternatively, build your own strong radio transmitter and try not to get caught by the FCC.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:50 pm

I probably should have said, I only have a CD player in my car. Well, and a radio. I don't know what I can plug into it.

It's been a difficult transition into the twentieth-first century for me.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:51 pm

I guess only the latter two apply then.

Enty's suggestion is valid, but very few radios in my experience actually have that adapter option unfortunately.
My Site

quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:58 am

I went out to the movies with this girl I have a crush on - it wasn't exactly a date but I think it was a positive step in the process of getting to know her enough to ask her out officially. I think we could make a good couple, because she is this super-energetic social butterfly type person and I am completely not, so being around her a lot would get me out of my shell.

Also, I try to use them sparingly, but I always enjoy when I manage to work an incredibly corny joke into a conversation. This was actually something i pulled on the same girl I'm talking about:

Her: So, what's up?
Me: Not much, I ran into a goanon on the way over here...
Her: A what?
Me: A goanon.
Her: What's a goanon?
Me: Not much, what's-a goin' on with you?

Yeah, I feel like updog has too much exposure due to The Office, so I use goanon now.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:19 am

In one of my classes my teacher was saying that his mom was sort of allergic and terrified of cats, except he explained it very poorly and just repeated several variations of the phrase, "She'd see a cat and just be unable to move or speak." Finally I said, "So she was in a catatonic state?" Everyone groaned out some laughs, and it was a glorious moment for me.

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:36 pm

quetzalcoatlus wrote:I went out to the movies with this girl I have a crush on - it wasn't exactly a date but I think it was a positive step in the process of getting to know her enough to ask her out officially.

She doesn't look like this, does she?

Return to “None of the Above”