Random Thoughts

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby chrismachine » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:07 am

I like this.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:07 pm

This is my new favourite thing.
MysticalDescent

Postby PonderThis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:30 pm

I just got to see Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, and Lake Huron within a 24 hour period. Wooooo!
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:38 pm

So I've heard this ad on the radio a million times, where two young chaps are inviting girlies to their party. It turns out only girls are invited, even to the exclusion of one of the two chaps! Then I later saw the televised version, and as it transpires the two lads were actually giant bees all along. There's no hint of this on the radio. I was reflecting on it today, and thought: If that radio ad gave no hint that it was about giant bees, can it reasonably be considered to have been about giant bees? Or are they just humans, because in the absence of alternative evidence we naturally assume that fictional settings are basically similar to our own? And if they're giant bees, would they still have been giant bees if the TV ad hadn't been made? And if that's the case, then how do we know that, say, Hamlet wasn't also about giant bees, but that fact was stored away in Shakespeare's brain? Or written down on some piece of note paper, then later burned and the truth forgotten (if it was indeed ever known to another soul)?

Wait, no, Hamlet has skulls in it and bees don't have skulls. So Hamlet was explicitly not an exclusively invertebrate affair. But what about Romeo and Juliet? Or Hamlet, but with, say, dogs?
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Given some of the past performances of Hamlet, I wouldn't be surprise to see it as interpreted by dogs sooner or later.

I would, at this point, have furnished this post with a link to a 1970s interpretation that involved trapeze artists hanging upside down in big golden rings suspended from the ceiling, but I can't find the link. I did find a mention of an interpretation of Hamlet that involved three monkeys sitting at a typewriter, trying to work out how to write it, though.
MysticalDescent

Postby mulpis » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:23 pm

MysticalDescent wrote: I did find a mention of an interpretation of Hamlet that involved three monkeys sitting at a typewriter, trying to work out how to write it, though.

Words, Words, Words by Christopher Durang. It's hilarious. Read it, and if you get a chance to see it performed, don't miss it.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 am

Nick, you're making the mistake of looking for the canonical truth of a fictional world. It's a common thing, but saying "what really happened in this work of fiction" doesn't entirely make sense. You could modify the question by asking what the author intended, or what would be the most internally consistent, but there is no fact concerning whether or not the characters are bees.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:25 pm

I would argue about that, but I can't remember all the stuff about truth in fiction from uni. It was the subject of my dissertation! I remember writing a bit about Chief Wiggum.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Skimba » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:45 pm

ntw3001 wrote:I remember writing a bit about Chief Wiggum.

This sentence will probably keep running through my head for the rest of the day now. I hope I don't write it into a report. It's a beauty of a sentence though.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby IanC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:14 am

I found a tin of prunes sitting where eggs go. Prunes are placed just below eggs (like one shelf along, and two down). How lazy are people?
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:57 pm

ntw3001 wrote:I would argue about that, but I can't remember all the stuff about truth in fiction from uni. It was the subject of my dissertation! I remember writing a bit about Chief Wiggum.

I don't need to hear your argument; I've decided on my opinion and that opinion is therefore truth. You can have consensus, you can have authorial intent, and you can have internal consistency, but in the world of fiction any ideas of canonical truth are as imaginary as the fiction itself.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Wouldn't be interesting if we communicated by tongue language, like sign language, but with your tongue?
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby mulpis » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:26 pm

EvilJekyll wrote:Wouldn't be interesting if we communicated by tongue language, like sign language, but with your tongue?

Is it wrong that I find the mental image of that dang sexy?
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:03 pm

That's the braille version of the language ;)
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Nyperold » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:29 pm

We recently got a Libman brand Tornado Mop, which amuses me for some reason.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby mulpis » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Do you ever wonder, if you could somehow go back through your life and tally all the movies you've ever watched, which movie you've watched the most times? I bet it wouldn't be one of your favorite movies. It'd be something weird and random that they show on television all the time or something. Like Revenge of the Nerds or Mrs. Doubtfire. I bet mine would be It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. I watch it at least twice every year, so I've seen it at least 70 times.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby EsBe » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:50 pm

mulpis wrote:Do you ever wonder, if you could somehow go back through your life and tally all the movies you've ever watched, which movie you've watched the most times? I bet it wouldn't be one of your favorite movies. It'd be something weird and random that they show on television all the time or something. Like Revenge of the Nerds or Mrs. Doubtfire. I bet mine would be It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. I watch it at least twice every year, so I've seen it at least 70 times.

Toss up between A Christmas Story, Super Troopers, and Office Space. Thank dorm rooms for the latter two. And you're right, they aren't my favorites. :|
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Skimba » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Rocky Horror Picture Show, A Christmas Story (thanks TBS!) and probably....Grease. However, I do love them all.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:31 pm

It would almost certainly be Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
MysticalDescent

Postby sum yun gai » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:34 pm

i'd like to claim The Princess Bride or Brazil, but it's probably more like Mr. Mom.... :(
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Probably Hunting Venus or Carry On Camping, because they were each the subject of an obsession by my brother and sister. They would watch a film, rewind it (oh VHS) and watch it again, then again. Maybe four or five times in a row, most days for a month. I saw those films many many times.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Nyperold » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Saving the earth requires 1 TB of free space.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:24 pm

I LOVE that movie MD. I still show it to my classes on long bus rides if we take a trip, and almost none of them have ever seen it. Anyway I would have to guess for me it would be the 3rd or 4th Pink Panther movie from the Sellers ones, and if somehow that's not true, it's probably something dumb from my childhood like Aladin or something, having two younger sisters and one VHS player growing up.
chrismachine

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:32 pm

chrismachine wrote:I LOVE that movie MD. I still show it to my classes on long bus rides if we take a trip, and almost none of them have ever seen it. Anyway I would have to guess for me it would be the 3rd or 4th Pink Panther movie from the Sellers ones, and if somehow that's not true, it's probably something dumb from my childhood like Aladin or something, having two younger sisters and one VHS player growing up.

It's almost always on around Christmas here and I try to catch it whenever I can because I absolutely loved it when I was young. It was all about the suits of armour fighting the Nazis, I couldn't get enough of that.
MysticalDescent

Postby chrismachine » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:52 pm

I liked that, and the ape playing goalie in the soccer game for some reason.
chrismachine

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above