Official Book Thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Official Book Thread

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 pm

You will both be pleased to hear that I am a very slow reader.

My copy came with a note from the translator which amounted to 'translating this is really, really difficult'.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby James » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm

HEY GUYS I'M READING THE SECOND-MOST-RECENT DISCWORLD BOOK THAT'S COOL AND INTELLECTUAL AND CULTURED AND ATTRACTIVE RIGHT?
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby sum yun gai » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 am

i just finished A Memory of Light, the last book in the "wheel of time" series originally started by Robert Jordan, but finished by brandon sanderson after jordan died. i will not spoil it here except to say two things:

1) sanderson is a terrible writer of fantasy fiction; he should stick to big budget hollywood action flick screenplays. either that, or he's memorized the entire tvtropes website and just uses it as a literary guide

2) the ending was a bit unexpected, but it still left a plot hole large enough to drive several mack trucks through. and supposedly that was the one part jordan left in his notes that was not "tidied up" by sanderson. i'm hoping it was just as a frame of reference and he was going to actually do a better job if he had been able to get around to it.

can you sense the disappointment yet? the sanderson-written books were pretty much disappointments because he threw away all the characters' personalities and replaced them with caricatures of their archetypes. OTOH, i'm not sure who else would have been able to finish such an established series, and he was hand picked by jordan's widow, so there is not much that can be done about that....
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby PonderThis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 pm

James wrote:HEY GUYS I'M READING THE SECOND-MOST-RECENT DISCWORLD BOOK THAT'S COOL AND INTELLECTUAL AND CULTURED AND ATTRACTIVE RIGHT?

Yes. Yes it is. 8)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby albertgilly » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:00 am

i just read the book wings of fire which really gave me an inspiration....
albertgilly
FIRST POST LOL OMG N00B

Postby PonderThis » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am

albertgilly wrote:i just read the book wings of fire which really gave me an inspiration....

Hi! Please tell me you're here because you like our cartoons and not because you're a spammer who matched certain key words. :dubious:
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Maura88 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 am

I skipped Dreiser at school and now I'm reading his American Tragedy. Boring. And the dude was way too moralistic I think.
Maura88
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Postby Nyperold » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:19 pm

I've sort-of recently read the Haruhi Suzumiya series of light novels (for once, not manga) by Nagaru Tanigawa. The point-of-view character is a boy in high school who has long since given up on meeting aliens, time travelers, "espers", etc., but then meets a beautiful-but-eccentric girl who expects to meet them and has no interest in "ordinary" people. He off-handedly gives her the idea to form her own club, and she does, soon finding other members for it despite not revealing its purpose. These other members turn out to be exactly what she asked for, but all of them have superiors who don't feel she should learn their -- or her -- true nature. For you see, she seems to be able to subconsciously alter reality, and all who are in these groups fear the possible consequences of her knowing absolutely that these paranormal things are really around. Adventures ensue.

If you've seen -- and especially if you have -- all of the anime without having read the books, go ahead and skip Melancholy*, Sigh, Boredom, and... maybe Disappearance, if you haven't seen that movie. Dunno if it's ever going to be released here, or if it already has, or what, but anyway. Rampage and Wavering have chapters that were adapted in the anime; indeed, Rampage has only one chapter that wasn't. From Intrigues on, the stories are all new.

*The titles of the books in the series all follow the format "The ______ of Haruhi Suzumiya". In this context, I'm going to refer to each book by its unique word.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Recently (sort of) I read Mr g: A Novel About the Creation. Its a weird one. As the title says, its about God, and the story of creation. Though in this case, he is more of an observer looking in. He starts off the spark, and watches in (occasionally getting involved). Oh and he has an aunt and uncle, who at first are bemused by his antics.

Yeah, its a strange one. Though good, even if it ends with the end of the universe (and he moves on to the next)
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby sum yun gai » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:45 am

i just finished "dance with dragons" from george r.r. martin and i am severely disappointed. i would say roughly 1/2 of the book is far below what i've come to expect of this series. and to have to wait, how many years? for it to come out is even more disappointing.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby chrismachine » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Could it be you've simply matured since you read the first books? I find that sometimes with music in particular, and re-reading or re-listening has nostalgia value so you can't really have a second look too easily, but going back to look for particular things, sometimes you find them.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 am

part of my problem with the book is that he's gone with robert jordan's "cut and paste" storytelling style. each character has certain keywords and phrases which are endlessly repeated throughout the book. a co-worker says he thinks it's used as a reminder of the character's viewpoint, driving home their motivations and thoughts, but i still think after a few repetitions, it's time to say something different...

sum yun gai

Postby EsBe » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Raise your hands, who here knew Steve Martin was an author? So yeah apparently he is, and The Pleasure of My Company is in fact a dang fine novel. It's about an obsessive compulsive, um, hermit?--yes, hermit is the right word--who is incapable of navigating everyday travails such as turning off lights, but can read someone's hidden motivations like he has x-ray vision (unless the motivation relates to whether or not that someone is falling in love with him).
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Dusk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:36 am

sum yun gai wrote:part of my problem with the book is that he's gone with robert jordan's "cut and paste" storytelling style. each character has certain keywords and phrases which are endlessly repeated throughout the book. a co-worker says he thinks it's used as a reminder of the character's viewpoint, driving home their motivations and thoughts, but i still think after a few repetitions, it's time to say something different...

I was about to agree with Chrism's point and use Robert Jordan as an example.
I find that sort of thing jarring.. like you know they have either written a basic outline and have some sort of notes they constantly refer to when visiting a character and their circumstances.. Books should not tell stories over so many volumes and over such a long time. The characters and novelists should grow and allow for the growth of the reader. Says me.
Oh, and I didn't know Steve Martin wrote books. I may pick it up.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Previous

Return to None of the Above