I can't keep up with you people.

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
User avatar
traubster
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby traubster » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:29 pm

chrismachine wrote:
traubster wrote:
Chrono Crow wrote:I'm falling off the radar, too. I have way too much of this "life" nonsense now to handle this forum.


Did you ever hook up with that chick who wasn't funny?

OMG did little chrono lose his V-Card?!

speaking of harsh but legitimate questions, are you still clean?


Yeah, but I'm not one of those that keeps track of how long its been. All I know is its been well over a year. Maybe two? I didn't join NA or anything, so I don't get a key chain for every 3 months I've managed not to be an idiot.
"Not every moment can be awesome."

User avatar
James
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 14912
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Surbiton, England

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby James » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:40 pm

I'd like a badge or a medal declaring that I'm not an idiot, but unfortunately I don't qualify.
SIGNATURE: GONE

User avatar
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:05 am

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Dusk » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:54 pm

chrismachine wrote:speaking of harsh but legitimate questions, are you still clean?

lol
I think the fact that he's here speaks volumes.
I'm interested to know what the keychains say. Or are you being facetious?
James wrote:I'd like a badge or a medal declaring that I'm not an idiot, but unfortunately I don't qualify.

Yeah, but that's because youahhhhhhstupid self-deprecation.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

User avatar
traubster
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby traubster » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:45 pm

Dusk Bringer wrote:
chrismachine wrote:speaking of harsh but legitimate questions, are you still clean?

lol
I think the fact that he's here speaks volumes.


lol

that's funny
"Not every moment can be awesome."

User avatar
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:05 am

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Dusk » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:18 am

BECAUSE OF IT'S IRONY? Perhaps.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

User avatar
Nik
Moderator
Posts: 5909
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:30 am
Location: Southwestern Connecticut

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Nik » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:57 pm

Dusk Bringer wrote:BECAUSE OF IT'S IRONY? Perhaps.



ARGH! MY SENSIBILITIES!
Image
Veepa wrote:
giantsfan97 wrote:Nik = least threatening person on this board :D

Dude, she's like 8 feet tall.

User avatar
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2696
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:41 am
Location: One great big festering neon distraction

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby loofah » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:19 pm

James wrote:I'd like a badge or a medal declaring that I'm not an idiot, but unfortunately I don't qualify.

like a brain surgery merit badge?
Image
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

User avatar
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe
Posts: 5595
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:50 pm
Location: NJ
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:54 am

Nik wrote:
Dusk Bringer wrote:BECAUSE OF IT'S IRONY? Perhaps.



ARGH! MY SENSIBILITIES!

Because of it is irony?
I don't see anything wrong there? :wink:
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

User avatar
Portals
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2137
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:55 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Portals » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:29 am

That's something I hate about the English language. To signify possession, you say "_____'s". So, if you're saying that "it" owned something, you'd say "it's", right? No, of course not, because that means "it is".

:x

User avatar
Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:54 am
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Low-Tech » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:27 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by that
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him eat a salami sandwich.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CIA intra-cranial broadcasts

User avatar
SemiNomad
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION
Posts: 1402
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:08 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby SemiNomad » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:58 am

Eviljekyll wrote:
Nik wrote:
Dusk Bringer wrote:BECAUSE OF IT'S IRONY? Perhaps.



ARGH! MY SENSIBILITIES!

Because of it is irony?
I don't see anything wrong there? :wink:


I think you mean Because've it is irony

User avatar
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4652
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:56 am
Location: TN
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Null » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:02 am

Portals wrote:That's something I hate about the English language. To signify possession, you say "_____'s". So, if you're saying that "it" owned something, you'd say "it's", right? No, of course not, because that means "it is".

Isn't that true only for proper nouns? I mean, you wouldn't write "her's," while you would write "the girl's."

User avatar
Saltine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 5273
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:24 am
Location: Cambridge, MA, US
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Saltine » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:40 am

I wouldn't call "the girl" a proper noun, but maybe you just mean proper as opposed to improper like those bastard pronouns. Anyway, yes, I propose we fix it by shoving apostrophes into the possessive forms of all pronouns. That way Portals won't continue to have he'r problem with English and it's many complexities. Who else likes m'y idea?
--Saltine

User avatar
PonderThis
Site Admin
Posts: 11928
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:56 am

Portals wrote:That's something I hate about the English language. To signify possession, you say "_____'s". So, if you're saying that "it" owned something, you'd say "it's", right? No, of course not, because that means "it is".

:x
The whole problem arises because the single-quote character is used for several different purposes and some jackass at some point in the past made these arbitrary rules for its usage in different situations.

What we need is different characters/symbols to use in its place. For the possessive, say, use ˢ. For situations where letters have been omitted use ː to indicate this.

Bobˢ computer is broken. Itːs been broken since itˢ hard drive crashed.
Bobˢ = Possessive
Itːs = "It has"
itˢ = Another possessive

Now if only I can get the entire English speaking world to go along with me …

User avatar
kzager
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 3642
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:27 am
Location: Trapped in a well.
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby kzager » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:23 am

I'm pretty sure T-rex has argued about this too but a quick search through the comics hasn't yielded any results.
Image

User avatar
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4506
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:51 am
Location: La-la land

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby sum yun gai » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 am

screw it, we should all just switch to esperanto
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.


traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

User avatar
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:05 am

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Dusk » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:42 am

Nik wrote:
Dusk Bringer wrote:BECAUSE OF IT'S IRONY? Perhaps.



ARGH! MY SENSIBILITIES!

OMFG CORRECTIVE TEXT PEOPLE
Try it on an iPhone some time.
You American's and your durned over-reactions.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

User avatar
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:57 am
Location: Fort Mitchell, KY, USA
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:10 pm

The -'s for the possessive came from the old genitive ending of -es that was used as late as the 15th century; the apostrophe is for the letter that was dropped there. "Its", that is, the possessive form of "it", never dropped that letter (though originally it was a variant of "his", which was used for both "he" and "hit", the old form of it).

...I could go all day about the Old English case, gender, and pronoun system, actually.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

User avatar
PonderThis
Site Admin
Posts: 11928
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:14 pm

Judas Maccabeus wrote:The -'s for the possessive came from the old genitive ending of -es that was used as late as the 15th century; the apostrophe is for the letter that was dropped there. "Its", that is, the possessive form of "it", never dropped that letter (though originally it was a variant of "his", which was used for both "he" and "hit", the old form of it).

...I could go all day about the Old English case, gender, and pronoun system, actually.
Duuuuuuuude! 8)

User avatar
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe
Posts: 5595
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:50 pm
Location: NJ
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:32 pm

Prithee do good sir.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

User avatar
chrismachine
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6148
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:24 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby chrismachine » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:42 pm

That would be Middle English.
Image
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

User avatar
chrismachine
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6148
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:24 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby chrismachine » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Judas Maccabeus wrote:The -'s for the possessive came from the old genitive ending of -es that was used as late as the 15th century; the apostrophe is for the letter that was dropped there.

My favorite example for this was always fleon fotes trym: 'to flee on one foot's pace', since it was so easy to remember. Of course, it's been 3 years so I had to look it up.
Image
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

User avatar
Chrono Crow
Spam King
Posts: 15466
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: Yeach
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Chrono Crow » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:04 am

Dusk Bringer wrote:
Nik wrote:
Dusk Bringer wrote:BECAUSE OF IT'S IRONY? Perhaps.



ARGH! MY SENSIBILITIES!

OMFG CORRECTIVE TEXT PEOPLE
Try it on an iPhone some time.
You American's and your durned over-reactions.


30 IS NOT A VALID AGE TO BECOME CRANKY AND IRRITABLE.
quetzalcoatlus wrote:You should always make sure that all your important pussy cheese and uncle-rapist is backed up, in case your computer crashes.

User avatar
kzager
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 3642
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:27 am
Location: Trapped in a well.
Contact:

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby kzager » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:46 am

Chrono Crow wrote:30 IS NOT A VALID AGE TO BECOME CRANKY AND IRRITABLE.

Tell that to my bowel.

Syndrome.
Image

User avatar
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:05 am

Re: I can't keep up with you people.

Postby Dusk » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:22 am

Chrono Crow wrote:30 IS NOT A VALID AGE TO BECOME CRANKY AND IRRITABLE.

It's plenty valid.
The iPhone text thingy just inserted an apostrophe. No one's waging war on the English language here.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.


Return to “None of the Above”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest