Places I Have Been

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Places I Have Been

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:13 pm

This was going to be the Southend Sea Life Centre Thread but I figured I would produce a thread of broader use. I guess I will use this thread to tell you all about places I have been. Others are welcome, even encouraged, to use the thread to discuss places they have been, should they so wish.

So anyway, Southend Sea Life Centre. It's now called something stupid like Sea Life Adventure, but that ain't a deal breaker to me. We went on Sunday. So yeah, they don't have an octopus. I'm sure they had one in the past, but no longer. And it's small! Not nearly as big as when I was one-third of my current size. Little of interest happened, except that we watched them feed the rays and a little dogfish took offence to Gina and kept trying to leap out of the water and bite her. There was a slopey rock thing that led to the edge of the tank where people were leaning and it managed to squirm its way completely out of the water trying to climb the slope, snapping all the while. I'm not sure why it was so angry, she wasn't even leaning over the tank. We spent a brief while enjoying the splendour of Southend's famous sea front, then went home and later did something, I don't recall exactly what.

This week's expedition: Colchester Zoo. I've asked the internet and do not expect an octopus. I suspect I may have to go to Plymouth for that very special treat. They also don't have a proper hippo, or any kind of bear apparently. I'll make the best of it.

TELL ME ABOUT PLACES YOU HAVE BEEN PLEASE
ntw3001
Group Captain

Re: Places I Have Been

Postby fanelian » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:30 pm

You, sir, should write books!
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Null » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:06 pm

I've seen octupi in various aquariums and they tend to be very shy and hide a lot.
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby catastrophile » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:27 pm

[/bastard]
catastrophile

Postby Skimba » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby kzager » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:19 am

kzager
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby jvcc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:52 am

I've swam the through the deepest recesses of the sea and walked the barren plains of Mars. I've hunted seal with the Inuit of the frozen north and traversed the barely discernable paths of the Amazon with the Ticuna. I have loved intensely in Paris, and experienced true loneliness in the Gobi desert. I...I have lived.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:38 pm

ntw3001 wrote:This week's expedition: Colchester Zoo.

There was a baby anteater! Due to Gina's clumsy slowness in readying her camera, the pictures are unsatisfactory. In addition: Monkeys. And a rat dying of rat poisoning just outside the pygmy hippo enclosure. Which, I guess, is maybe a good thing? Unless the zoo was suppose to be keeping rats. And sealions swimming all around a tunnel and we were in the tunnel looking at the sealions while they were swimming.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:43 pm

ntw3001 wrote:And a rat dying of rat poisoning just outside the pygmy hippo enclosure. Which, I guess, is maybe a good thing?

I guess you don't like them. You don't really know why you don't like them. All you know is you find them repulsive.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:52 pm

jvcc wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:And a rat dying of rat poisoning just outside the pygmy hippo enclosure. Which, I guess, is maybe a good thing?

I guess you don't like them. You don't really know why you don't like them. All you know is you find them repulsive.

are you gonna say that there is nothing the rat does that can't be attributed to the squirrel? o_O
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:46 am

sum yun gai wrote:squirrel

There were squirrel monkeys. We were entertained by their capering and, to a lesser degree, their frolicking. And we saw them eat food OM NOM NOM.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Dusk » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:18 am

ntw3001 wrote:There were squirrel monkeys. We were entertained by their capering and, to a lesser degree, their frolicking. And we saw them eat food OM NOM NOM.

Oh man, that's the best. They're all like ravaging this enormous food. Stopping, then starting. Stopping, starting.
Then they skydive using their young as parachutes.

EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:40 am

That is an epic photo.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:49 pm

In response to Dusk's request for new threads, I have made no new threads. TELL ME ABOUT PLACES YOU HAVE BEEN PLEASE
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Fri May 28, 2010 5:06 pm

CANADA
NEW YORK
PENNSYLVANIA
OHIO
IOWA
WISCONSIN
TENNESSEE
FLORIDA
GEORGIA
LOUISIANA
KENTUCKY
ALABAMA
ARKANSAS
MISSOURI
TEXAS
COLORADO
NEBRASKA
VIRGINIA
NORTH CAROLINA
SOUTH CAROLINA

Not in that order.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby PonderThis » Fri May 28, 2010 5:23 pm

USA: California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Louisiana, Tennessee, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Virginia, DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island. If you count layovers at airports then add Colorado and Massachusetts to the list.
Canada: Ontario and Quebec.
Mexico: Baja California, DF, Quintana Roo.
Argentina, Chile, Great Britain, France and China (with a layover in Japan).
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri May 28, 2010 5:30 pm

General:

Somewhere in Portugal (I don't know, I was a toddler)
Majorca
New York
Most of England and a chunk of North Wales. Basically, if you name a castle, cathedral or stately home in England it's quite possible that I have, at one point or other, been there. I've tried to do as much of London as I can, but in three visits it's proved impossible to do everything, although I finally got to the Banqueting House last time I was there. Tate Modern is weird.
MysticalDescent

Postby jvcc » Fri May 28, 2010 5:41 pm

I really want to visit England someday.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:00 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:I've tried to do as much of London as I can, but in three visits it's proved impossible to do everything

Proven.

Everyone.

ho ho ho
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri May 28, 2010 7:53 pm

List of places I've been, not just passed through.

USA:
NY (pretty much the city as I live 15 miles from it)
NJ (live here, seen a majority of the state)
MA Boston
PA (various parts)
Wash. D.C.
FL, the part by Disneyworld
HI - O'ahu (just came back from there)
TX - Houston (not sure which parts, that place is like it's own state)
Puerto Rico - San Juan and Vieques

Other countries:
Canada - Ontario
Germany - Munich
Switzerland - Lucerne
Italy - Venice
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby loofah » Fri May 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Alabama$, Arizona%, Arkansas*, California%, Colorado*, Georgia+, Hawaii%, Kansas$, Kentucky$, Missouri%, Nevada+, New Jersey$, New Mexico$, New York*, North Carolina*, Ohio%, Oregon+, South Carolina$, Tennessee+, Texas*, Washington+
Mexico (Nogales, Tijuana)$

I really want to travel to Europe. Maybe some day. When I win the lottery.

$ Day trip
* Less than 1 week
+ Between 1 week and 1 month
% Lived there
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Sat May 29, 2010 12:35 pm

OH MAN! I haven't gone anywhere!!

In the USA I've gone to:

San Diego - One of my favorite places to travel to, since it's only 2 hours away and it's beautiful and has a lot of things to do.

Las Vegas - I hated that they close the swimming pools so early, but loved that they let you drink anywhere, as long as you're not driving. I didn't play, though, so If I ever go there again, I'd like to at least try some Black Jack.

LA - Not really LA, but the Area where Six Flags - Magic mountain is, which I can't recall the name of, and Anaheim to go to Disneyland. Also, Santa Monica - Great beach.

Yuma in Arizona - Just to go shopping and to "take the road" for the first time ever in my then new car.

NY (For the spamucon that took place ages ago) -- I took a tour of the city, but we were all staying in Poughkeepsie, so I guess it counts as two places, right? No? Oh, OK. I must mention that from the many airports I had to wait in to get there, I was amazed by the one in Atlanta. It was the second time in my life that I had taken a flight, and the first time I did so in the USA, hence my amazement.

New Hampshire: I went to a city called Nashua, for work and stayed something like 3 days there. From what I got to see it's not a very eventful place. I flew in from Boston, but it was midnight when I arrived and then when I went back it was still dark, too early in the morning to see anything. I slept most of the way from NH, to Boston.

In Mexico, surprisingly enough, I haven't been to many places and most of them are very small towns that for some reason call themselves "cities".

Baja California: Which is the state where I live -- I've been to La Rumorosa, Ensenada, La Salada, San Felipe, Puertecitos and Hanson Lagoon. Unfortunately, I've also been to Tijuana (Which I agree to call a city).

Sonora: San Luis RC, Puerto Peñasco -- I had a great time there, it's a beach destination sometimes called "Rocky Point" which is a rough translation fo the town's name.

Sinaloa: Guasave -- a very small Town-city, I went there for a weekend, for my brother's wedding. We drove from the State's Capital, which is Culiacan.

Guadalajara: I spent like 3 hours or so there, I'm just counting it here because I had time to see the bunch of churches they have back to back where the cathedral is, So I can actually add something if a conversation pops out :P I was just there because we flew in to Guadalajara (My first time ever on a plane) to then drive to...

Colima: Colima --- Colima is one of, if not THE smallest State in Mexico, and its Capital has the same name. I went to Manzanillo, which is a beach, I went to Lake Maria and Comala. But the whole state is soooo small, I have my doubts about naming those placces separately :D. It has actually been the longest trip I've taken so far, I was there for a week visiting my Grandma who now nears the 100 years o_o. I took nice pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/soyabean/sets/1008845/

Oh, the place where Magic Mountain is is called Ventura! I think...

THANK YOU, FAQ!
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Saltine » Sat May 29, 2010 3:45 pm

THE BATHROOM
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby ntw3001 » Sat May 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Why I do declare, Colima looks like a terribly nice place.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby giantsfan97 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:16 pm

fanelian wrote:New Hampshire: I went to a city called Nashua

This is 2 hours from my house and I was there a week ago TODAY because I went to TWO parties. The second of which was where I was roosterblocked. I think I posted about that here.

Anyway, come back!
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Next

Return to None of the Above