Places I Have Been

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Places I Have Been

Postby chrismachine » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:31 pm

$20 cover.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby giantsfan97 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Nope. The catch is that they are kind of small mugs and they are filled with Keystone Light. However, you can get pints for $.50 so yeah I don't know how they make money.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:20 pm

giantsfan97 wrote:Keystone Light.

A thing I learned in Mississippi: Americans have not yet managed to develop a not-light beer. Except Budweiser. This is not a good thing.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby loofah » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:11 pm

ntw3001 wrote:
giantsfan97 wrote:Keystone Light.
A thing I learned in Mississippi: Americans have not yet managed to develop a not-light beer. Except Budweiser. This is not a good thing.
Do you mean reduced-calorie, or light in color?
New Belgium makes a good amber ale called Fat Tire. There's some microbreweries out there that make excellent darker beers. We just had a good oatmeal stout a few months ago from a local brewer. But it does seem that the majority of Americans have a taste for tasteless beer.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby giantsfan97 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:12 pm

I almost exclusively drink Canadian beer... but yes how are you defining light beer?
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:19 am

Beer with the word 'lite' in the name.

Oh god and there was that other stuff. I can't remember the name of it. It tasted like a mixture of Carling and water.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Dusk » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:50 am

ntw3001 wrote:It tasted like a mixture of Carling and water.

ROFL
Seriously though, trust two Americans to not understand what "light beer" means.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:30 pm

What is light beer supposed to be that ours isn't?
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:22 pm

consistently identifiable as a single thing (as in not talking about colour or taste or anything other than being lower in calories/alcohol). I think that's what he was getting at. Anyway I enjoy the odd Cracked Canoe light beer in the summer, but mostly not.
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:21 pm

giantsfan97 wrote:What is light beer supposed to be that ours isn't?

Absent.

At least, it would have been good to be presented with the option of other, less watery beers. But only a few bars had anything that wasn't either Budweiser or '[something] lite'. There was a smattering of Heineken, which I can dig, but that was mostly sold in shops rather than bars. The bars, they were impoverished.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby giantsfan97 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:32 pm

If you ever come to Vermont I think you will enjoy our selection. I heard somewhere that we have the most microbreweries per capita in the USA. My favorite is called "Switchback", it has a slight hint of apricot and me loves it.

Chrism, I'm curious what Canadians think about Labatt Blue Light. That's my favorite "I want to get drunk off this" beer. Meaning I always buy that when I'm trying to get drunk, not when I just want a single beer with like dinner or something.
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Blue is usually a starter beer... something for your first 4-6 that you can put back in a few minutes each. Some people enjoy it for that purpose, but I prefer Molson Canadian over Blue (or blue light, I guess, since we have both, though people generally don't go for light to get drunk either). For general drinking purposes, I like Alexander Keith's, Steam Whistle (sometimes), Beck's, Sapporo, and a couple of local beers. My dad is a huge fan of weird and original beers and will often bring me ridiculous things to try out as well, though most are a bit too heavy or just plain odd for my tastes.

Weirdest (and worst) beer he ever gave me to try was smoke beer, made the way they think the first beers were made. It honestly was like drinking smoke from a campfire. I had like 3 small sips 5 minutes apart, and unfortunately junked the rest. If it had been in the afternoon I would have found something to cook in it that evening.
chrismachine

Postby fanelian » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:55 pm

I love Sapporo, but we can only get it at Walmart, and it's quite expensive, so I only get it for special occasions. They don't carry it in big quantities, either.

At bars I drink a Mexican beer called "Indio". That's my get-drunk beer. It's only available at bars, though, since they don't sell it bottled/canned, at least not in this area. So, when I am buying a six pack, I get Coors Light or Tecate Light.

Oh, now I want a beer!
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby jvcc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:03 pm

I've never had beer. My preference for sweet-tasting drinks aside, being acquainted with a thirty-year-old alcoholic who drank beer exclusively sort of put me off of it. He went in my friend's kitchen once saying he needed water, and came back with a can of Budweiser. He said he couldn't find any water.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby sum yun gai » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:26 am

there's a sushi place not far from my apartment that has happy hour $1 sapporo *ON TAP* :mrgreen: and most of the grocery stores around me carry at least 50 different types and brands of beer, so i have no problem finding good beer to drink. so, in other words, if we have a spamucon here we are set for beer :D
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:31 am

jvcc wrote:I've never had beer. My preference for sweet-tasting drinks aside, being acquainted with a thirty-year-old alcoholic who drank beer exclusively sort of put me off of it. He went in my friend's kitchen once saying he needed water, and came back with a can of Budweiser. He said he couldn't find any water.

Sounds like he could find some just fine ZING yah I don't care for Budweiser.

Gif, I probably would like the beers in Vermont. The not-Bud, not-lite beers were most pleasing to me; they just weren't widespread. It just seems to be a thing of widely-distributed American beers that they taste watery. Maybe wateriness is the recipe for mainstream success around they parts.

Bar Beck's of course. I like Beck's. That's American right?
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby slydon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 am

I've heard that the Budweiser served in other countries is worse than domestic bud.
I haven't had any since the "bud light²" I got at a Twins game last year, which resembled cold pee in a small plastic cup.
slydon
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:44 pm

So this is now the beers I've tasted thread? I'm okay with that.

I had some Tecate the other night as part of a $5 Tecate beer can with tequila shot. I found this beer favourable.
I also had free tallboy PBR at the show I went to. I found the taste similar to Coors lite on tap which is good.

I am terrible at my descriptive prowess.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Binkatron5000 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm

BEER! The liquor board near my place has recently expanded their beer selection -- so many goodies! They have Hobgoblin and Fruli and Bete Noire and more! Oh my mouth is so happy.
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 pm

kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby sum yun gai » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:32 pm

EvilJekyll wrote:I also had free tallboy PBR at the show I went to.

i can't bring myself to drink PBR after they pulled out of milwaukee with no warning and fired over 75 people for no good reason other than "screw you, it's our company". half of milwaukee had their name on it up until that point, and afaik it's been slowly fading out since then. i don't live there anymore so i only have secondhand reports...
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby jvcc » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Hahaha. BEERS OF THE WORLD.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby MysticalDescent » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:17 am

jvcc wrote:Hahaha. BEERS OF THE WORLD.

I am reminded of

MysticalDescent

Postby James » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Binkatron5000 wrote:Hobgoblin

I tried some of that in Sweden many years ago. There was some sort of promotionat the time that resulted in my procuring two large T-shirts with a small white hobgoblin logo thing on the front. I gave one of them to a flatmate at university, as it felt silly for a person who had by that point forsaken alcohol to have not one but two of the same branded beer T-shirts (although there was no text on them, so for all I know people just thought I was really into goblins of the hob persuation). I don't know what happened to the other T-shirt. It may be lurking at the back of a cupboard with some fairly extreme Warhammer T-shirts that may still exist. Or they might all be long gone.

THINGS I HAVE WORN
Last edited by James on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby PonderThis » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:45 pm

James wrote:... forsaken alcohol ...
I know those two words but I just can't figure out what they mean together like that.
PonderThis
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above