The [New] Music Thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

The [New] Music Thread

Postby Zombie Protestor » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:04 pm

We don't have a music thread, do we? No? Cool.

Linkin Park (for those of you that like them) released the vocals on their new song, and encouraged their fans to add music and remix it in general. The winning entries thus far are on this page. I hate #1 and 2 right now but the others are pretty good.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Re: The Music Thread

Postby sum yun gai » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:26 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Re: The [New] Music Thread

Postby PonderThis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:30 am

I has edited the thread title and syg's post to indicate NEW vs OLD music threads.

You know if an old thread is seeming like it's getting too big and unwieldy, it's OK to start a new one. Really.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Skimba » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:44 am

PonderThis wrote:I has edited the thread title and syg's post to indicate NEW vs OLD music threads.

You know if an old thread is seeming like it's getting too big and unwieldy, it's OK to start a new one. Really.

Really, really?
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby PonderThis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:31 am

Really really! How could I possibly say no to a picture of a cat holding a hat while imagining the voice of Antonio Banderas? :mrgreen:
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby jvcc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:21 pm

My mom had a dream that Puss in Boots came to live with us, and he told her, "I am a very sexy cat." She has a thing for Antonio Banderas. It's a bit odd.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Doesn't Antonio Banderas have an album?
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby DaVince » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:14 am

Geez Skimba, I thought you really said "...I'll still stab you." after that picture. :lol:

To get on topic:
I like They Might Be Giants. Who likes They Might Be Giants?
DaVince
Makes LOLCATS

Postby Binkatron5000 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:16 am

DaVince wrote:Geez Skimba, I thought you really said "...I'll still stab you." after that picture. :lol:

To get on topic:

I found out about them back in the days of Napster when I was looking for songs with my name as the title. I don't know why, but the search turned up a silly song about the sun being a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace, where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees. I chuckled, played it once in awhile, and that is my extent of exposure to them.
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Skimba » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:49 am

DaVince wrote:Geez Skimba, I thought you really said "...I'll still stab you." after that picture. :lol:

To get on topic:

I always say ...I'll stab you.

SYG and I love TMBG. I have loved them for over 20 years and will never stop.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby Saltine » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:32 am

Binkatron5000 wrote:I found out about them back in the days of Napster when I was looking for songs with my name as the title. I don't know why, but the search turned up a silly song about the sun being a mass of incandescent gas
The title of that song is "Why Does the Sun Shine?" Which part of that is your name?
Binkatron5000 wrote:I don't know why, but the search turned up...
I DON'T CARE! TELL ME!
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby sum yun gai » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:40 am

Binkatron5000 wrote:I chuckled, played it once in awhile, and that is my extent of exposure to them.

:shock: really? someone who doesn't know particle man, istanbul (not constantinople) or birdhouse in your soul?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: i am truly amazingly amazed right now.....
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby traubster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:33 pm

I was introduced to They Might Be Giants via Tiny Toons.
"Not every moment can be awesome."
traubster
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:22 pm

I know of them from Malcolm in the Middle. That's about it. I was pleased to learn that they covered Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and it was pretty good.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:13 pm

I've likely heard them, but not on purpose.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:14 am

TMBG are probably the band I have seen live the most times. If not, then they are just barely beat out by Some Dude You've Never Heard Of. I got into them because my half-sister once sent me a mix tape with "Birdhouse In Your Soul" on it and I somehow loved that song at the time despite the rest of my music taste consisting of whatever was on top 40 radio. I watched Tiny Toons too, but somehow never saw the episode with TMBG music in it until much later.

My guess on Federal Savings Bink's random discovery: Maybe the person had made a folder for songs they wanted to put on a mix cd for someone named Bianca, named the folder accordingly, and that was one of the songs?

I completely impulsively bought a couple of Dead Can Dance albums out of a thrift store recently because what I'd heard about them sounded interesting. They turned out to be pretty awesome.

Oh yeah, I was gonna add that I am seeing The Vaselines in October.
Last edited by quetzalcoatlus on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Skimba » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:33 am

It seems most folks either love TMBG or just can't be bothered. That's fine, I'm a big enough fan for at least 6 of you. I have (but it is in storage right now) a framed picture of John & John that an old friend of mine got them to sign to me.
quetzalcoatlus wrote:I completely impulsively bought a couple of Dead Can Dance albums out of a thrift store recently because what I'd heard about them sounded interesting. They turned out to be pretty awesome.

Yes they are.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Ok DaVince, inspired by your request, I have taken a song from each of my favourite Canadian musical acts and made a folder of them. There are a couple of bands I didn't get in here because I haven't put their CDs on the computer, but that will have to do.

So, I present to you, my Canadian music sampler.

Edit: This took me a couple of hours to do... I hope a few people will take 20 minutes to download it and check it out!
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby traubster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:02 pm

quetzalcoatlus wrote:TMBG are probably the band I have seen live the most times. If not, then they are just barely beat out by Some Dude You've Never Heard Of.

I actually just googled "Some Dude You've Never Heard Of".
traubster
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby DaVince » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 am

traubster wrote:I was introduced to They Might Be Giants via Tiny Toons.

Ha. Me too. And about fifteen years after it got aired. (Yeah, I'm a pretty late fan, can't believe I didn't stumble across them earlier since I'm also a Homestar Runner fan...)

chrismachine wrote:Ok DaVince, inspired by your request, I have taken a song from each of my favourite Canadian musical acts and made a folder of them. There are a couple of bands I didn't get in here because I haven't put their CDs on the computer, but that will have to do.

So, I present to you, my Canadian music sampler.

Edit: This took me a couple of hours to do... I hope a few people will take 20 minutes to download it and check it out!

Oooh, shiny. I will check it out immediately... after I have walked the dog.

Binkatron5000 wrote:I found out about them back in the days of Napster when I was looking for songs with my name as the title. I don't know why, but the search turned up a silly song about the sun being a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace, where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees. I chuckled, played it once in awhile, and that is my extent of exposure to them.

They also made a followup song where they sing "no wait, we were wrong, we will now sing about what the sun IS, disregard our previous song". :mrgreen:
DaVince
Makes LOLCATS

Postby Nyperold » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Every time I read about that song, I think of the one from that one Bill Nye episode. You know, where the voice-over dude with the deep voice kept talking over the singing.

It's a super-hot ball of gas, we're talkin' about the sun...

"Maybe you've heard of them. Or maybe you haven't. But then again, maybe you have!"

Ooooh, it's a real hot spot, and does it radiate heat!

Something like that.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby kupo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm

traubster wrote:I was introduced to They Might Be Giants via Tiny Toons.

Well, shiiiit, I had no idea that was even a They Might Be Giants song. I learn something useless and new everyday.

quetzalcoatlus wrote:Oh yeah, I was gonna add that I am seeing The Vaselines in October.

Oh my god I love the Vaselines!
a signature
kupo
Impresses the Females

Postby DaVince » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Alright, Chris, I've only listened to about a fourth of the list so far. (Sorry, I've been going through all the Weird Al songs on Spotify instead. OMG his Zappa style song is so good. :P) I have to say I like maybe half of what I heard. Not bad. Some stuff's pretty funny, some stuff's musically pretty strong.
DaVince
Makes LOLCATS

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:01 pm

traubster wrote:
quetzalcoatlus wrote:TMBG are probably the band I have seen live the most times. If not, then they are just barely beat out by Some Dude You've Never Heard Of.

I actually just googled "Some Dude You've Never Heard Of".

I think it would make an awesome stage name, actually. But the specific dude you've never heard of is a local musician named Rob Potylo, if you care.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby traubster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:11 pm

That is the creepiest front page of a website that I've seen in a while.
traubster
Needs Your Bank Info

Next

Return to None of the Above