The [New] Music Thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: The [New] Music Thread

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:36 pm

quetzalcoatlus wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:David Bowie is an excellent choice. Listen to Ziggy Stardust because it is my favourite album (off the top of my head; also definitely listen to the Berlin Trilogy (Heroes, Low and Lodger)).

I actually haven't heard Lodger yet and I should get on that. But yeah, Ziggy Stardust is a good starting point, or maybe Hunky Dory.

Ohh Hunky Dory. I knew I was forgetting my actual favourite. My very favourite Bowie album.

quetzalcoatlus wrote:Oh yeah, also, speaking of The Divine Comedy, I picked up Casanova the other day used for a couple of bucks. I had not heard it since an ex-girlfriend played it for me once about 10 years ago but I still recalled really liking it.

I heart Casanova. Every single thing about it from the cover art to the disc itself to the sounds recorded thereon. It is tied in the best-Divine-Comedy-album stakes with Promenade, which you should also definitely definitely listen to.

chrismachine wrote:use kijiji to find your needed poopcakes.

I will do, once I'm properly permanently in a place. For now though, I'm in a basement for a month while looking for other places, and it's all furnished and such so I don't have much to worry about. I went out and bought Canadian Tire's finest, cheapest kettle. It is serviceable. Rather than a normal heating element it has a hot plate, which leads me to suspect I could poach an egg in it.

Anyways, in the interest of jvcc listening to every single thing she hears mentioned, I forgot to make further mention of Joanna Newsom. She sounds like this. She's not too easy to get into, but the album to start with is The Milk-Eyed Mender. Her second album, Ys, is pretty inaccessible (although better), and I'm not yet too familiar with her third.

Oh, uh, Blur, Hilltop Hoods.

I like to go to the Albert Hall and see whoever is playing for free on Friday lunchtimes. I won't be doing that for a while. I need to find a similar thing in Toronto.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Zombie Protestor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:03 pm

So I was introduced to the Black Keys the other day. Not too wild about all of their stuff but quite a few songs off the album they put out last year are pretty good, but that's the only album I've listened to anything off of.

EDIT: I've gone through and listened to the singles from their albums. Most of it was pretty good. One of the songs was in Zombieland.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby jvcc » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:54 am

I do like Throwing Muses, Enty. Good call.

So far not a huge fan of The Divine Comedy, but I tend to be impatient with slower songs at first listen so I'll try again later.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:20 pm

Zombie Protestor wrote:So I was introduced to the Black Keys the other day. Not too wild about all of their stuff but quite a few songs off the album they put out last year are pretty good, but that's the only album I've listened to anything off of.

EDIT: I've gone through and listened to the singles from their albums. Most of it was pretty good. One of the songs was in Zombieland.

Their earlier albums are quality old-school blues as much as anything, but well worth a listen if you're into that stuff.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:11 am

jvcc wrote:I do like Throwing Muses, Enty. Good call.

So far not a huge fan of The Divine Comedy, but I tend to be impatient with slower songs at first listen so I'll try again later.

dang. The Divine Comedy are not greatly popular amongst people I know. [i]Someone[\i] must like them; they at least make enough money to eat. I am speaking as though they are a 'they' and not just a plain old 'he' who probably doesn't even eat that much anyway.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby fanelian » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:48 am

Oh, I do like The Divine Comedy, Enty. I like "Absent friends" most of all, closely tied with "Victory for the comic muse". I like most of the other stuff, but I did not like "bang goes the knighthood" that much.

And, I definitely don't think it takes too much to get Hannon fed :)
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:34 pm

I have moderately warm feelings towards The Divine Comedy.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby sum yun gai » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:03 pm

i'm not that big into Dante myself, although perhaps i should give it another chance...
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:42 pm

sum yun gai wrote:i'm not that big into Dante myself, although perhaps i should give it another chance...

Wise guy eh

Bang Goes The Knighthood is definitely definitely his worst album to date. Absent Friends was the last really good one, although Victory For The Comic Muse was decent. So it's basically a downhill slope. We'll see what the future holds!
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:24 pm

I bought Hunky Dory the other day. :D I also bought The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, but the CD didn't work. I'll try and see if the store will let me return/exchange it.

"Life on Mars" is one of my favorite songs of all time, but I'm really liking "Queen Bitch" and "Andy Warhol" as well.

I promise that I'll get to some of the other bands mentioned here, but in the incredibly slow and halting fashion that I use for the consumption of music.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:54 am

Ah, double post.

I've read back on your comments and have subsequently been listening to Casanova by The Divine Comedy, which I like so far. It's repetitive without being monotonous, which is good. Enty should be pleased.

I bought Weezer's first album, which is also good. I particularly like "Say it Ain't So." I've heard some of their recent stuff, so I don't expect that they'll become a favorite band of mine, but I'll probably listen to Pinkerton soon.

Hm, what else? I don't like Hot Fuss by The Killers as much as Sam's Town, which is potentially noteworthy because I've heard from quite a few people that Sam's Town is their least favorite CD of theirs. That's surprising to me, because I really love albums that tell a story or keep harking back to a dominant theme.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:44 pm

jvcc wrote:Ah, double post.

I've read back on your comments and have subsequently been listening to Casanova by The Divine Comedy, which I like so far. It's repetitive without being monotonous, which is good. Enty should be pleased.

I am. Charge is a funny song.

jvcc wrote:Hm, what else? I don't like Hot Fuss by The Killers as much as Sam's Town, which is potentially noteworthy because I've heard from quite a few people that Sam's Town is their least favorite CD of theirs. That's surprising to me, because I really love albums that tell a story or keep harking back to a dominant theme.

Then you should definitely definitely listen to Promenade as well. It is a story album! It's about a couple spending a day at the seaside. And literary references and such, which I'm sure you'd enjoy, or something.

I listened to Hot Fuss constantly for about two weeks after it came out, then suddenly decided it wasn't very good. I'm not sure what happened there, but I stll don't like it much. I didn't bother with any later albums. Plus I saw them live at a festival and they just stood there being boring as hell; they could have just wheeled out a CD player. Other people are allowed to like them though; they're not Nickelback.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm

ntw3001 wrote:I listened to Hot Fuss constantly for about two weeks after it came out, then suddenly decided it wasn't very good. I'm not sure what happened there, but I stll don't like it much. I didn't bother with any later albums. Plus I saw them live at a festival and they just stood there being boring as hell; they could have just wheeled out a CD player. Other people are allowed to like them though; they're not Nickelback.

Brandon Flowers is unequivocally an objectionable person. I wouldn't want to see them live.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:13 am

I am somewhat tempted to listen to that Lou Reed/Metallica album just to see if it can possibly be as bad as reputation has it. But first there are new albums I actually might enjoy that I still haven't heard yet, like the new Tom Waits, Mastodon, or Justice.

Just posting this because someone might care, but I unknowingly passed by MC Frontalot today. I was on my way to the club I intern at when I passed by some guy carrying stuff into the club next door, and I was all "huh, that sort of looked like MC Frontalot". Then much later I happened to see the list of who was playing there that night. I primarily know what he looks like because I watched Nerdcore Rising once, and I came away from that movie liking him as a person, but not really the music.
Last edited by quetzalcoatlus on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby chrismachine » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:41 am

Oh god it was terrible.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby James » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Recently I've been quite enjoying the work of Tokee. You can preview two full albums of his here.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:45 am

Musical amendment: I've been introduced to Iggy Pop and I love him. His work, more specifically. It is fantastic. Particularly his album Lust for Life, which of course the much beloved Bowie had a hand in.

It's quite depressing coming across already well-established artists at the moment when their careers have begun to spiral downward, or they've started doing insurance ads.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:42 am

Have you heard The Stooges at all? They were Iggy Pop's old band, if you were somehow unaware. I'd sort of recommend starting with Raw Power, but really all of their albums that aren't called The Weirdness are pretty great. Actually, I haven't even heard all of The Weirdness, I just know it's pretty much universally put in the category of "fairly uninspired reunion albums".
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby jvcc » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:46 am

Yeah, I have Raw Power on my fancy new iPod device now. I like "I Wanna Be Your Dog," which I think he did with them, but I'm not sure which album it's on. That seems like the sort of thing I could easily Google, but I have YouTube videos to watch.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:50 am

Yeah, I Wanna Be Your Dog is off their self-titled album, which has a bunch of their signature songs, but I don't quite think of it as a starting point because there's some fairly obvious filler. Apparently the deal is they'd only written five songs when they got into the studio, so they had to make up half of the album pretty quickly.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby James » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Mogwai + Iggy Pop. Sort of.

Also, they named their record label and one of their albums after Rock Action, drummer for The Stooges.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:05 pm

James wrote:Mogwai + Iggy Pop. Sort of.

Ah, I love that interview with him. The sad thing is that the points he's making are undermined by the interviewer's kindness. He wasn't patronizing or contemptuous as a lot of the ones who interviewed early "punk" singers seemed to be. He was very polite and listened; he was Canadian. But yes, this band seems to have done a lot for his speech by editing it this way.

I downloaded The Stooges so we'll see how that goes.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby James » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:25 pm

I read somewhere that things were quite civil backstage. I guess Iggy had a point he wanted to make and wasn't going to be put off by a pleasant interviewer.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 pm

I was showing my mom Iggy Pop videos on YouTube (interviews and music), and she said, "Oh, have you heard of The Sex Pistols? I loved them when I was younger." Good thing I'm not getting into punk music for rebellious purposes, because she's already listened to all of if.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby PonderThis » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:37 am

Me too.
PonderThis
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above