Math(s)

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Re: Math(s)

Postby sum yun gai » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:14 am

alright, apparently i didn't do this one right, so i guess i need to see what the actual way to do this is:

A rectangular water tank is supported above the ground by four pillars 5.0 m long whose diameters are 20 cm. If the tank were made 10 times longer, wider, and deeper, what diameter pillars would be needed?
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:31 am

sum yun gai wrote:alright, apparently i didn't do this one right, so i guess i need to see what the actual way to do this is:

A rectangular water tank is supported above the ground by four pillars 5.0 m long whose diameters are 20 cm. If the tank were made 10 times longer, wider, and deeper, what diameter pillars would be needed?

So, you would still be using four pillars? That's some strong tank material.
Assuming the length of the pillar is useless information (as I assume this is not a strength of materials class), and we don't need to worry about the soil strength (as I assume this is not a geotechnical engineering class) then it should just be a ratio of the previous weight and the new weight, and that same ratio of the surface areas of the old and new pillar diameters. Did you do it some other way?
By the way, I just realized that the wording is a bit ambiguous. Has the total volume increased by 10 times, or has each dimension increased by 10 times? I took it to mean each dimension, and got 632.5
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

Saltine

Postby Saltine » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Yeah, I did this independently (didn't look at loof's answer) and got 6.325 meters also. (Multiply 20cm by √1000.) I'm not sure if there's some other consideration here that we're missing.
--Saltine

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:00 am

Code: Select all

a 3.40m long, 580kg steel beam extends horizontally from the point where it has been bolted to the framework of a new building under construction.  a 75.0kg construction worker stands at the far end of the beam.  what is the magnitude of the torque about the point where the beam is bolted into place?

so, i have total torque = (580 * 9.8 * 1.7) + (75 * 9.8 * 3.4) = 12161.8 Nm but apparently the computer system does not like this answer. i rounded to 3 sig figs and made it an even 12200 Nm and i still get the "wrong answer". what am i doing wrong?

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:06 am

sum yun gai wrote:

Code: Select all

a 3.40m long, 580kg steel beam extends horizontally from the point where it has been bolted to the framework of a new building under construction.  a 75.0kg construction worker stands at the far end of the beam.  what is the magnitude of the torque about the point where the beam is bolted into place?

so, i have total torque = (580 * 9.8 * 1.7) + (75 * 9.8 * 3.4) = 12161.8 Nm but apparently the computer system does not like this answer. i rounded to 3 sig figs and made it an even 12200 Nm and i still get the "wrong answer". what am i doing wrong?

That's how I remember doing it. Did you try 9.81 m/s2 instead (or 9.80665 m/s2, if you want to get crazy)?
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:12 pm

stupid computer assignment wanted the answer in scientific notation :roll:

vyira
Spam King

Postby vyira » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:55 pm

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru

vyira
Spam King

Postby vyira » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:19 pm

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо

Return to “None of the Above”