Television

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Television

Postby EsBe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:06 am

I also liked Midnight. It appeals to the Twilight Zone fan in me.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby PonderThis » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 am

EsBe wrote:... the Twilight Zone fan in me.

Noooooooo! :o
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby EvilJekyll » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:49 pm

jvcc wrote:Christopher Eccleston is excellent

This. He's by no means Tennant or Smith, nor should he be. He's his own doctor with his own character, playing the first doctor in about 15 years up to that point and setting the stage for the rest to follow. I'm not saying he's better or worse than the rest, but by the end of the first series you really have a connection with him.

If anyone should complain about any leading character on the show it should be Catherine Tate as Donna Noble. I just felt like most of her role was very forced.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:19 pm

When I was young, it was the Tom Baker episodes that really got me into the series. I have no idea if they're as good now as they seemed to be quite a while before the new series started, but I think I'd recommend them. If you accidentally find yourself watching any of the Colin Baker episodes then immediately abort. As for Christopher Ecclestone...I don't know, really. It's all fairly poor quality, but then it is just a gentle reintroduction for the series that doesn't do anything too radical. They wanted to slam a bit of everything in, but some of the episodes are really quite poor. I found that with David Tennant, the 'big' episodes at the beginnings and ends of series were always quite impressive, but the more 'bread and butter' episodes were just hackneyed and tedious. I think that's why I favour Matt Smith out of the three modern doctors.

Oh, and regarding the new Thick of It. I have read that there are plans to produce a new series of Yes, Prime Minister. They're leaping straight into the Prime Minister bit and I don't like the two actors (if they retain their roles from the stage show) as much as Nigel Hawthorne and Paul Eddington, but it might be worth keeping an eye on.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby badplantmommy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:36 am

My current favorite shows are NCIS and Doc Martin.
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Zombie Protestor wrote:So maybe-sister loves Dr. Who, and in addition to wanting some conversation topics, I'd been meaning to pick it up again as I'd only seen the first episode and wasn't impressed. After discussion with you guys back when I first expressed this, you had said that the first (ninth) doctor was not very good anyway. So, should I start with season 2 instead and just come back to season 1 later, or will I have missed key parts?

Regarding the poor CGI in the first new series, it could be worse. Here is an image showing the development of the cybermen over time:

MysticalDescent

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:47 pm

I've been watching and blogging about Eerie, Indiana, a show I remember fondly from my childhood (or preteenhood I guess). It actually dates pretty well for an early 90's kids' horror/sci-fi show, since it sort of has this streak of surreal, Adventures Of Pete And Pete-ish humor running through it.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby jvcc » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:18 am

I have just now finished watching the last episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was way more into it than I thought I would be. Not entirely happy with the ending, but what can you do? The answer to that is sleep. I need sleep. Too much Netflix.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EsBe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:53 pm

jvcc wrote:I have just now finished watching the last episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was way more into it than I thought I would be. Not entirely happy with the ending, but what can you do? The answer to that is sleep. I need sleep. Too much Netflix.

I think everyone has the same Buffy experience eventually. I can't say I was particularly moved by the ending either, but at least it was a concrete conclusion. (And a preemptive strike against sequels and spinoffs.)

I remember watching the director commentaries and Joss mentioned that if you didn't cry at the end of the last episode you were either lying or had no soul, so... guess I'm down a soul. Come to think of it, I've heard the same thing mentioned about that episode of Futurama with Fry's dog, but I didn't give a crap about that one either. Oh well. Now, Sleeping in Light, on the other hand...
EsBe

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 am

Some stuff following on from a previous post on here, now that I've actually watched Dexter and Arrested Development.

Dexter: Yes. Just don't do what I did and watch series 5 first, then series 6 (thanks to me finding that a TV channel here was showing every single episode, but that I missed the first four series of them by time I noticed) and then try to watch series 1 onwards. This makes series 1 seem incredibly slow and you find yourself shouting 'he's the murderer!' every few seconds on account of events in series 6.

Arrested Development: Meh. I like it and I like a lot of what they try to do, but it's not the funniest programme in the world. It has its moments, though. It certainly deserved better than cancellation after three series. In fact, using the 'Friends got ten seasons' scale, it's worth a much longer run.
MysticalDescent

Postby EsBe » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 am

Lately I have only been watching television shows that have already run their course, either on Netflix or HBO Go. I haven't actually sat down in front of a TV in probably two years now (and I don't mean that in a snotty "I listen to NPR in my Prius on the way to the local farmer's market" way---although I do listen to NPR and buy at a farmer's market in the summer, but that's neither here nor there).

Anyway, I signed up for a month of Netflix streaming in order to watch a movie that I had a Rifftrax for. It's roughly the price of a DVD rental, so I was okay with it, but then I had another month of access to it afterward. So I went ahead and watched the entirety of Star Trek The Next Generation, because the only time I had actually watched any episodes was back in Ye Olden Times on over-the-air TV, when you had to worry about static, and catching episodes, and waiting for reruns, and being able to even find the TV guide in the Sunday paper, etc... the Dark Ages, basically.

So then that was done and I accidentally let the subscription repeat for another month, so I went ahead and watched the entirety of Star Trek Deep Space Nine, which I had never really gotten into during its TV run. I'm sure I'm trodding on, um, well trodden territory here, but I kind of get what the producers meant when they said they wanted a darker tone for that series. It actually had story arcs that you could hang intrigue from, and reminded me more of my one true love Babylon 5. And it was also really goddamn good in a way that I haven't been able to say about many other shows.

Then I finally remembered to cancel the subscription before the month was up, and switched over to HBO Go to watch Bored to Death. This, I think, is a show that I should have watched in the company of another human being, as it is a silliness best enjoyed with company. On the other hand, I'm glad I was able to get through it in private, as my "embarassed by proxy" alarm was going off about once an episode, and it's not particuarly becoming to avert one's eyes while watching a non-horror flick.

And in other old TV news, my uncle just discovered Myster Science Theater 3000. I received an email reporting that it was funny. I await many follow-ups to that.
EsBe

Postby jvcc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Anyone here fans of Parks and Recreation? I've been told by so many that it's good, but takes a while to get into. I'm on the second season now and it hasn't made me laugh once. So does it take an unbelievably long time to appreciate or will I just never find it funny?

EDIT: Okay, I think the show's okay. It's not the funniest show ever, but I'm starting to like most of the characters more. I can finally satisfy my loved ones who have been pestering me to watch it.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 pm

People who like British comedians like David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker: I recommend 10 O'Clock live. It's a bit different because it's satire, but it's very good.
MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:17 pm

I did a bit of a longer pre-amble before this about my age group and the internet and Netflix and nobody watches live television anymore, but I decided that cut that out and make this message a little more concise. The show Peaky Blinders is surprisingly good and, I would say, showing a lot of potential to at least on a par with Boardwalk Empire.

Oh, and what's the deal with the History Channel these days? Where's all the history? How is Amish Mafia even possible?
MysticalDescent

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:42 am

MysticalDescent wrote:Oh, and what's the deal with the History Channel these days? Where's all the history? How is Amish Mafia even possible?

they went the same way as discovery channel, learning channel and food network. although food network at least still has shows with food in them i suppose....
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 pm

gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Surely there can't be more of a market for Storage Wars or some other nonsense than any of the old stuff they used to have on? It was nice that if there was absolutely nothing on, you could always rely on them being there to show World War Two in Colour or one of those. I once had a day off school ill when I was 8 or 9 and I just spent the whole day watching documentaries on the Easter Islands. It was great.
MysticalDescent

Postby mulpis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:59 pm

I miss the time when Animal Planet actually showed nature programs. Now all you see are shows about animals trying to kill people or vice versa.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Storage Wars was hugely popular for about 2 years there... haven't heard much in about a year though.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby mulpis » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:32 am

Anyone else having a rage stroke over the How I Met Your Mother series finale? Anyone? Just me?
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:54 pm

There's a guy at my university who's a bit of an institution. Everyone knows him or knows of him and he's been around since the sixties, despite not being officially affiliated with the university in any way. There are loads of stories about the various things he's done in his life and you never really know what to believe, although 9 times out of 10 it's actually true. There was even a big article in The Guardian about him a few years ago.

Anyway, they've made a TV film about him called Marvellous and it's all a bit weird to comprehend. I really enjoyed it a lot, but it's kind of difficult to gauge if that's because it was all filmed at my university, because it's based around a person I know and because there's been a lot of fuss about it locally. It actually received massive critical acclaim, though. It was the pick of the week in pretty much every newspaper, there's been talk of BAFTAs and had 1.5 million people watching it live, which isn't bad for something on a Thursday night. So I don't know, I thought it was worth writing about briefly here and recommending it.
MysticalDescent

Postby jvcc » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:36 pm

I can't find it online, but that does sound cool. What did you enjoy about it, other than recognizing local figures and landmarks?

On an unrelated note, I have a question about An Idiot Abroad. When the show's premise was explained to me, before I had ever seen an episode, I assumed that the Karl Pilkington, as an actor/comedian, was playing a persona. I watched an episode and continued to believe this, but I've since had conversations with multiple people who insist of believing that what you see on screen is the man himself. That doesn't appeal to me for several reason, but mainly because it means I'm watching someone who is actually miserable as opposed to someone who is pretending to be miserable.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:29 pm

jvcc wrote:I can't find it online, but that does sound cool. What did you enjoy about it, other than recognizing local figures and landmarks?

On an unrelated note, I have a question about An Idiot Abroad. When the show's premise was explained to me, before I had ever seen an episode, I assumed that the Karl Pilkington, as an actor/comedian, was playing a persona. I watched an episode and continued to believe this, but I've since had conversations with multiple people who insist of believing that what you see on screen is the man himself. That doesn't appeal to me for several reason, but mainly because it means I'm watching someone who is actually miserable as opposed to someone who is pretending to be miserable.

It's been a while since I had to write any kind of real appraisal of something like this, so this may be a little bit simplistic, but here goes.

There are two stories running side-by-side throughout it, both of which are put together really well. On the one hand you have the story of Neil, who manages to find his way through the world by being a genuinely nice guy (and he is an absolutely lovely bloke) and a little bit cheeky. He has all of these incredible little stories and he somehow manages to get his dream job. It's heartwarming and funny in equal measure. At the same time you've got his mum, who knows that she's not very well and needs to prepare her son for life after she dies. The relationship between them is completely authentic. It was just a shame that during some of their later scenes together there seemed to be some sawdust in the air at my house and I got a bit of it in my eye.

In the days afterwards, it was all that anybody at the university was talking about. I even spotted Neil in the Student Union, with a queue of autograph hunters. It really was surreal.

Oh, and it was nice to have a TV show actually have its actors attempt the Stoke accent. The lady in the job centre was a pleasure to listen to!
MysticalDescent

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:46 am

jvcc wrote:On an unrelated note, I have a question about An Idiot Abroad. When the show's premise was explained to me, before I had ever seen an episode, I assumed that the Karl Pilkington, as an actor/comedian, was playing a persona. I watched an episode and continued to believe this, but I've since had conversations with multiple people who insist of believing that what you see on screen is the man himself. That doesn't appeal to me for several reason, but mainly because it means I'm watching someone who is actually miserable as opposed to someone who is pretending to be miserable.

I think it's just him. According to Wikipedia he's not party to all the weird activities they plan for him and just gets coaxed along by the cameraman. There are parts where he seems to be hamming up the persona, but I'm pretty sure he's just getting dragged around and having a rubbish time.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Previous

Return to None of the Above