Hey, What About Those [Your Favorite Team]!

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Hey, What About Those [Your Favorite Team]!

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:54 am

The final sentence is one of the prime places to give up reading. But yeah, I'm pretty sure sport is one of the areas in which the words used don't exactly have to mean anything, just give a sort of poetic sense of action. I imagine a Jabberwocky-style stream of nonsense would serve perfectly well in a report like this.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:09 pm

ntw3001 wrote:I imagine a Jabberwocky-style stream of nonsense would serve perfectly well in a report like this.

Or for an announcer. "He gyres, he gimbles, what a frumious tove! Now he's galumphing the rath to Bandersnatch, who burbles a beamish wabe... Callooh! Callay! He OUTGRABES!"
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 pm

chrismachine wrote:I was able to work my way through that stuff, but I just gave up when faced with the closer "Slabber lashed in Simmonds's cut-back."

Stoke recently played a few friendly matches in America and live footage was broadcast over the internet with American commentators. It was glorious. I have no idea if any of it was common jargon in North American football or existed purely in the heads of these two gentleman, but it was just about the only thing that convinced me to join in. Screaming 'THROUGH THE FACE' at full volume whenever the ball went anywhere near the six yards box was one thing, but bamboozling the audience with a cry of 'Jones...tries to fire a seed through a mailbox' is something else altogether. Another favourite was 'Rodriguez tries to beat Wilson, but the Stoke man is strong, in the idiom of all Stoke men'. I could have listened to it for hours and hours. I would personally pay their wages if the BBC would take them on as their top commentators.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby chrismachine » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Yeah "through the face of the (goal or crease)" is from hockey where the "mouth" of the goal (or the basket maybe, but that has no face in our common jargon) has a crease for some protective feature of the sport, and the top or front part is the face. Given that our league has records for assists it really is more like hockey than any other NA sport, so maybe they've borrowed more heavily than I'd noticed. Not that I watch more than about 5 MLS games a year...
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby PonderThis » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:I imagine a Jabberwocky-style stream of nonsense would serve perfectly well in a report like this.

Or for an announcer. "He gyres, he gimbles, what a frumious tove! Now he's galumphing the rath to Bandersnatch, who burbles a beamish wabe... Callooh! Callay! He OUTGRABES!"

That was totally AWESOME
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 pm

England beat Brazil at the footballs and actually looked alright! They passed to their own players instead of the other guys.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:33 pm

I feel like they would be somewhere in the 3-6 ranking range if they would just dress a squad with an average age of 21 rather than like 27. Let go of the old "stars" that never won anything. "Oh what a leader that pylon Terry is, he has to play" some might think... make him an assistant coach. Witht their old slow bums who are too set in their ways to develop chemistry in a different style they effectively play themselves out of the top 10.
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:04 am

I dunno, Terry wasn't there and probably wasn't any great loss. Lampard and Gerrard are still good, and we are hurting for replacements in central midfield (Wilshere is good enough, but aside from that there's not a huge amount of depth). Cole is still one of the best left-backs around, and just about the only player who's performed consistently for England. Last night was his 100th international cap, and it turns out he's not been on as a substitute in a single one of those matches. Even Rooney did alright, which is fairly unusual. The rest of the team were young players, so it's just the remnants of that generation hanging around now and they've all been pretty good. Even Terry did well at Euro 2012, but I think the team is just fine without him.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:22 am

Thing is, you guys ahve some of the fastest players on the planet but are forced to plod along much of the time so your older players can be wiley and stuff. You are right about needing more midfielders as your best ones all play wing. There's likely a 17 year-old in your system that just needs a chance.
chrismachine

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Some opinions:

I like Roy Hodgson as a manager. The last few England managers have bought into this nonsense about England having the best players in the whole world and therefore being able to take on anybody as equals. Watching England at the 2010 World Cup against Germany pretending that John Terry and Matthew Upson (!) were world class defenders capable of playing a high line against the second best team in the world was utterly embarrassing. It's nice to see an England manager actually accept that his pool of players is full of crap and to therefore approach games as such. People complain about the game against Italy, but they put out a wonderfully disciplined defensive shape that restricted the eventual winners to zero chances of note.

I'm not sure about the actual defence. Terry is massively overrated and way over the hill. I admit that my view of him is somewhat skewed by his hardman image (gained largely by shouting a lot) not reflected the way he plays on the pitch at all - I've seen him mauled about the pitch by a bloke who signed for Stoke on a free transfer from Gillingham, I've seen him struggle with said player so much that he performed an outrageous dive in order to try to get him sent off and I've seen him behave in the most unpleasant manner almost every time I've seen him play in person. Cahill is, by and large, a joke of a defender who gets by because he's 'technically skilled'. That's the modern day slang for 'passes the ball five yards but can't defend to save his life'. You can rank Phil jones in that category too. Chris Smalling is very middling as a defender. Ferdinand is unreliable and past it. It's not a particularly pretty selection. I'm aware that I'm very open to accusations of bias, but the very best English defender that I've seen in the last few years is Ryan Shawcross. Consistently high levels of performance over 5 seasons now. It's no mean feat being made the captain of a Premier League club at the age of 22, either. The media have now completely discounted him partly because he's a touch unfashionable compared to the others, partly because they're fixated with Rio Ferdinand and partly because 30 seconds into his England debut he made an absolute howler to allow Ibrahimovic to score. He came on in that game as a substitute on something like the 70th minute. Why Gary Cahill, the senior defender who had been playing the whole game, decided that the new guy who was yet to get started in the game should mark one of the best strikers in the world while Cahill himself goes wandering off in midfield, I'll never know. Grumble.
MysticalDescent

Postby ntw3001 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:04 am

Say Mysty I see Tony Pulis (the manager, for those not in the know) is leaving Stoke. Everyone is leaving everywhere. Chelmsford City fired their manager! It is a grave shame, maybe. I dunno. They were in the playoffs three years out of four with him in charge, but I gather they have a fairly big budget for their league so maybe they ought to have been doing better.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri May 24, 2013 6:26 pm

I really feel quite put out about it. They did it all in a nice way and chalked it up as leaving by mutual consent, which was very nice and dignified. No stroppy press announcements, just a nice, emotional double page article in the local newspaper in which he's rather classy. He was pretty much guaranteed to leave at the end of the season, so it would have been nice to have a proper goodbye on the pitch in the last home game.

It's just a shame really. He lost steam at the end and it was probably time to change, but he was first appointed as manager 11 years ago. That was near enough exactly halfway through my life, so Pulisball is almost all that I know.
MysticalDescent

Postby sum yun gai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 am

GO SPURS GO!!
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby PonderThis » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 am

sum yun gai wrote:GO SPURS GO!!

WHAT HE SAID!!
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 am

Which Spurs are we talking about here? Because I'm surprised if this is to do with the appointment of a new technical director.

The real Spurs are going to be playing Chelmsford City in August though! In a pre-season friendly! Presumably with no first-team players.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby PonderThis » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:07 am

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! [/Darth Vader]
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 am

PonderThis wrote:Noooooooooooooooooooooo! [/Wolverine]
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby chrismachine » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Soooooo undeserved. Just look at those bums!

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=425972
chrismachine

Postby IanC » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Andy Murray won his first Wimbledon title, the first British (male) winner in 77 years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23217393
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Are people there still talking about the fact he's not from England proper?
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Scottish people seem to be. There's an ongoing complaint whereby Scottish sports personalities are Scottish when they lose and British when they win. It's propagated by people who've never read an article about a Scottish (or English) sports personality, but are pretty sure they know what it would be like.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Honestly, I didn't even know until it started to look like he would win and one of the commentators mentioned it.
chrismachine

Postby James » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:41 pm

OK, how about this fun thing?
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Now, I never noticed them saying anything other than "British man" to be fair, but nobody mentioned her at all.
chrismachine

Postby Low-Tech » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:29 pm

That's the magic number

The Pittsburgh Pirates have to win 18 more games and they'll be assured a winning season, for the first time since 1992-1993.

*crossing fingers*
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him eat a salami sandwich.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CIA intra-cranial broadcasts
Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above