Hey, What About Those [Your Favorite Team]!

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Hey, What About Those [Your Favorite Team]!

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Seeing as Enty beat me to an answer, I must now ask an all new question, this time about crowd culture, although I don't particularly like that term.

I read somewhere that in the MLS, teams have gone out of their way to ban supporters from shouting 'you suck, objectionable person' at opposition goalkeepers when they take a goal kick. It seemed faintly ridiculous, as it's such a childish, barely offensive insult that it barely merited any kind of intervention at all. The only time I can recall anybody getting in any trouble for something like that in this country was when some Tottenham supporters were convicted and banned from attending football matches a few years ago. This guy does a half decent article on it that includes the words to the song that was directed at Sol Campbell, which are a bit shocking and possibly offensive so don't go there if you're not up for that sort of stuff. At Stoke we haven't done anything quite as bad as that, but we've been the subject of criticism from various no-mark journalists for being too angry and too offensive and upsetting opposition players. Generally, though, pretty much anything goes. It's the way it is. My question is twofold. Firstly, am I actually right about the 'you suck objectionable person' thing and secondly, if I am, then is that sort of thing entirely frowned upon in sports in North America? Are there widespread sweary and bawdy verses cascading down from the stands, or are things pretty sanitised? Is the outlook/mindset of a sports supporter in North America entirely different to the mindset of football supporters in this country?

Oh, one other one. How much does it generally cost to attending sporting events, both major and minor?
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby chrismachine » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Ok, I'll preface this by saying that I have yet to attend an MLS game in either Toronto or Montreal. That said, over here it is novel when things get sung or shouted, and in hockey at least it usually is just the patterned repetition of the opposition goaltender's name after he makes a shaky play or shows some nerves, or lets in a goal. Sometimes you get "ref you suck" and at one point a coach mused during the playoffs that the other team's home fans barely registered, let alone bothered his team. The next game when they were getting pumped the crowd organized a "can you hear us" chant that was easily 15k of the 20k in attendance. The coach was Bruce Boudreau, whose surname you can hear chanted at the end of the clip below too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlgeFRPz4Cw

It is not a constant barrage of fan songs and the like, because in what I would call "action sports" you would likely miss something if you were to try to coordinate something like that for the first time, so they never really get invented. There is some singing and chanting and stuff in baseball, and basketball and lacross, while fast-moving sports, actually have the sound system pumping music during the game. Hockey does it at pauses in play. I guess because we don't have any sports that have no stoppages I can't really say, MLS being the exception. I just don't know enough about that to comment, but I do know there is some mimicry that goes on, like raising scarves when we are a summer sport here and it gets so cold in winter that our summer temperature would likely make the hands quite sweaty just holding them. There might be songs, not sure.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:07 am

Huh. At least for baseball fans, yelling that an opposing player (or, even more commonly, the umpire) sucks, either in general or pointing out something specific ("The ump is blind!" after a call someone doesn't like is almost a cliche by now), is pretty much expected from any halfway-devoted fan.

Though I suspect the thing that gets the fans banned isn't the "you suck", it's the "objectionable person". Any institution in the States that allows a large group of people of mixed age to watch or read the same thing is likely to get a powerful, excessive agency looking over their shoulder to make sure those poor, innocent children never see or hear any slightest hint of nudity, "abberant" sexuality (these institutions seem to be highly conservative in general) or profanity, even if hilariously mild for any of those. I don't know of any specific one for sporting events, but either there is one or there quickly would be one if the teams themselves aren't careful about preventing it themselves. Of course, most of the time the fan isn't really going to be heard by anyone important, so people do it anyway, but if attendance isn't that good that might be different, and the teams are going to ban it anyway simply to be careful.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Low-Tech » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:00 am

I think a lot of pro sports are getting tougher on fan misconduct at games because they realize that they have serious competition from broadcast mediums (TV, web, etc) and a lot of people are choosing to just stay home and watch the game that way. So to try and make the live game experience more enticing, they're doing their best to get rid of the stereotypical loud-mouthed drunken hooligan fan. ANd, since the best way to determine who's being disruptive and had a few-too-many to drink is usually to look for the guy who's cussing up a storm, a "no cussing" policy is the best way to get these guys to violate a rule and chuck em' out before they get really bad and do something stupid and injurious to the kid next to them.

I know a guy through my brother who works security at an MLB ballpark and they encourage fans to text them or call them via cellphone and just give their area in the stadium they're seated in if someone around them is being disruptive, and he and some other ushers will discreetly go to that location and hang out until they identify the troublemaker and wait for him to violate some rule and then toss him. Makes the fan experience much better and defuses situations that in the old days, when there was no easy way to contact stadium security, would become fistfights and bottle-tossing before it became apparent someone had to go.

Banning alcohol at games altogether would be even better, but, since nobody wants to give up that lucrative beer concession, it's a pipe dream on my part.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him eat a salami sandwich.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CIA intra-cranial broadcasts
Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Dusk » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:54 am

Here's a thing that happened:
http://youtu.be/sGlXdgT6ukY
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:29 pm

The comments are so Australian.

here you are talking like a proper drongo from the western suburbs.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby James » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:47 pm

The shorts are so short.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Low-Tech » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:32 am

Who wears short shorts?

Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby jvcc » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:42 am

ntw3001 wrote:The comments are so Australian.

here you are talking like a proper drongo from the western suburbs.

I can viddy that these bezoomny droogies like to govoreet an awful lot of choodessny.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:48 pm

What a bunch of hogglers. What those jeebers need is a right hard chonk in the chawallamaroos. They'll be praddling for weeks.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:36 pm

I like all of that.
chrismachine

Postby EvilJekyll » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 pm

G'day Bruces and Shielas.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Low-Tech » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Well, I don't want to speak for Judas, but, I'm sure he's just as happy as I that both our respective teams are putting some distance between themselves and the rest of the NL Central.

Pirates swept the Fish of Miami today, 5th straight win, 4th season series sweep, 14 games over .500 (a feat not seen by this team since 1991)

Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Uncool: Losing first test against South Africa.

Cool: Image
MysticalDescent

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Wow, that's a great shot for someone to have captured!
chrismachine

Postby Low-Tech » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:52 pm

It's much cooler if you imagine the "bionic" sound effect from The Six Million Dollar Man playing over it

Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby James » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:57 am

Fox shows cricket?
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Low-Tech » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:53 am

It was probably taken from the "crazy plays of the week" segment of one of their sports shows, that's about the only way that cricket or non-World Cup soccer gets on FOX.

Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:34 am

That was a pretty excellent opening ceremony! I especially liked Team GB's chav outfits.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby EsBe » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:04 am

ntw3001 wrote:That was a pretty excellent opening ceremony! I especially liked Team GB's chav outfits.

'Twas an unsettling convergence of tophats. So many tophats.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:21 am

Tophats and drums. The only way it could have been better is if there were tophat-shaped drums.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:17 pm

I actually really liked the Opening Ceremony. I've seen more than enough reviews naming Isambard Kingdom Brunel as 'a Dickens character' or 'Abraham Lincoln' for a lifetime, though.
MysticalDescent

Postby Low-Tech » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:06 pm

And the Pirates join the Reds, Nationals and Yankees in the 60 win club for this season!

If we can just keep this pace up for another month, that 19 year long streak of losing seasons, longest in pro North American sports right now, will itself be history.

Still a bit upset they traded fan-liked corner infielder Casey McGehee away, even if we got another relief pitcher out of the deal at the trading deadline. The "Casey at the Bat" wisecracks from the play-by-play announcers will be missed :( Fortunately, Alex Presley is still on the roster, so we won't be missing "Presley has left the building" whenever he homers :)

We also traded some backups, cash, and future draft picks for a couple extra infielders, Chris Snider and Gabby Sanchez. Defensively we're pretty solid, but SS Clint Barmes is looking like he's going to have a .200 season at the plate at this point, and with 3B Pedro Alvarez's tendency to go cold and strikeout a lot without warning..... well, we need an extra bat if we're serious about hanging around this season. And Andrew McCutcheon continues to put up numbers we haven't seen out of a Pirate since Barry Bonds in the early 1990's

It's still an odd sight, seeing no empty seats at the ballpark these days.

Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:33 am

Team GB went out of the football tournament in the quarter-final on penalties. It's like a national pride thing now; I'd be a little disappointed if it had gone any other way.

Also congarburations to the Canadian women's team for putting us out of that quarter-final, unfortunately not on penalties (chicks don't got no respect for tradition). I didn't see the match, but I gather you were much better. Which is good, because I gather our women's team are a shade better than the men.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby IanC » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:45 pm

Andy Murray won gold in tennis though, yay!
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above