Hey, What About Those [Your Favorite Team]!

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Hey, What About Those [Your Favorite Team]!

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:42 pm

100, 000, 000 is another magic number. It is the world-record number of pounds that Gareth Bale seems set to be exchanged for! He is basically completely necessary for Spurs to get into the Champions League, but I think there's a good thing to be said for taking the money. It's a lot! If they were a Champions League team already, they could attract enough talent to make up for the loss. But they're not!
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:40 pm

wait, Twatenham were demoted?

Edit: Right, the league of leagues, not the EPL/BPL.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:12 am

Okay so the football people are back on the TV and they've now finally introduced technology to tell us whether it's a goal. And the journalists, always desperate for some way to fill airtime and column inches, are debating what this means! Is it not obvious that we're next going to usher in robot referees to judge fouls and determine the level of punishment? Also, exo-suits to spare the players from running? With targeting software in order to eliminate misplaced shots and passes! All these things and more are the natural next step, now that we have surrendered our game to the machines!

Okay, so journalists don't think that, and because they are able to write and speak we know they are sufficiently intelligent to understand that allowing a device to make a simple binary decision does not naturally lead to the introduction of some kind of complex and infallible AI adjudicator, hastening the onset of the age of malevolent robots. But they persist in talking about it, as though a single person on Earth (except Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini, for reasons which are doubtless sinister) does consider it controversial. No! It's interesting to nobody! Jesus guys if you just cut a few pages from the sports section then filling it wouldn't be such a pitiable struggle
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:48 pm

ADVERTISING DOLLARS.

Anyway what they do need are sensors in players' shin guards that can be accessed by the 4th official when a player goes down if the ref isn't sure. If replay and that sensor are both showing a dive, red card. While it would certainly be a death sentence for Italy, Spain, Portugal and Argentina in international football, it would mean that I (and millions of other people like me) would have a much more enjoyable time watching.

EDIT: I really should add that today's Everton game was fantastic, and I'm very glad they weren't showing the arsenal game here.
chrismachine

Postby chrismachine » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:43 pm

also i will be getting that stoke kit in fifa14.
chrismachine

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:56 pm

chrismachine wrote:ADVERTISING DOLLARS.

Anyway what they do need are sensors in players' shin guards that can be accessed by the 4th official when a player goes down if the ref isn't sure. If replay and that sensor are both showing a dive, red card. While it would certainly be a death sentence for Italy, Spain, Portugal and Argentina in international football, it would mean that I (and millions of other people like me) would have a much more enjoyable time watching.

EDIT: I really should add that today's Everton game was fantastic, and I'm very glad they weren't showing the arsenal game here.

I'm actually stunned by how good an idea is. I guess it doesn't cover the players who go down under the tiniest little tap on the shoulder, though.

chrismachine wrote:also i will be getting that stoke kit in fifa14.

The grey with fluorescent bits?
MysticalDescent

Postby chrismachine » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:02 pm

That would be the one. And while the sensors wouldn't solve all dives, having dives result in reds at all might induce some officials to issue them for other diving offenses as well, thus lessening them all. And I mean if the sensor is tripped by like 5 lbs of force, you couldn't even argue its veracity as a test of a hit. The player could also trip the alarm during the replay by pressing on the pad to make sure it was working.
chrismachine

Postby Dusk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:25 am

So, for anyone who's bothered with my twitter garbage for a while now, you're probably sick of my AFL tweets.
Well, my team has made the finals for the first time in, I dunno, 13 years or something which is pretty cool.
Sadly, though, all the news has been about another club. A club who has allegedly been injecting their players with all sorts of crazy stuff (colostrum etc) sourced from Mexico through a guy with Muscular Dystrophy.
They were recently charged with bringing the game into disrepute and kicked out of the finals. We played them last week in a really odd game where it didn't matter who won. Bizarre.

AFL wrote:The League announced that the Commission and Essendon had agreed the club engaged in conduct that is unbecoming or likely to prejudice the interests or reputation of the AFL or bring the game into disrepute. The club had "established a supplements program that was experimental, inappropriate and inadequately vetted and controlled".

The AFL announced sanctions against Essendon and three of its staff members – James Hird, Mark Thompson and Danny Corcoran – with the Bombers holding a press conference minutes later at AFL House. A fourth Bomber official, Dr Bruce Reid, is fighting his charge.

The sanctions
Essendon
- A fine of $2 million
- The club forfeits its place in the 2013 finals series, being deemed to have finished in ninth position on the ladder after the 2013 season
- The club is prohibited from using its first and second round selections in the 2013 and 2014 NAB AFL Drafts
- However, the Bombers will be granted a pick at the end of the first round of the 2014 draft
- Essendon may trade in to any round of the 2013 or 2014 drafts

James Hird, senior coach
- Suspended for 12 months, backdated to August 25, 2013
- Cannot work with any AFL club through this period

Danny Corcoran, football manager
- Suspended for six months, two months of which is suspended for a period of two years. As a result, a four-month ban exists
- Cannot work with any AFL club in any capacity during that period

Mark Thompson, senior assistant
- Fined $30,000

Dr Bruce Reid, Essendon club doctor
- Continuing to fight the charges against him
- His hearing will continue at 10am on Thursday morning

What does the future hold for James Hird?
Hird has agreed to a contract extension and will be welcomed back to Essendon as senior coach for the 2015 and 2016 seasons.
It is feasible he could coach the Bombers in the 2014 finals series if they qualified.
Hird is yet to speak publicly, but he has apologised to the AFL for his role and was described by League chairman Mike Fitzpatrick as "genuinely remorseful".
He can attend AFL matches through his 12-month ban.

What does it mean for the rest of the 2013 season?
The Bombers will play Richmond on Saturday night in a dead rubber. Regardless of the result, they will finish ninth on the ladder and will not play in the finals.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Wow what a mess. It's a very small-time sport over here, but that's big-ass news, so I'm surprised I have yet to see it anywhere.
chrismachine

Postby chrismachine » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Also, I'm watching the arsenal game I recorded, and I'm intrigued by the way the commentators keep talking about how "daahhhby fooh-bowl" is so different from other games. Is that a specific term used for a rivalry game due to them being near each other geographically?
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:00 pm

chrismachine wrote:Also, I'm watching the arsenal game I recorded, and I'm intrigued by the way the commentators keep talking about how "daahhhby fooh-bowl" is so different from other games. Is that a specific term used for a rivalry game due to them being near each other geographically?

Yah a derby is a game between geographic rivals. Points count double! In the minds of commentators.

Not a great weekend for Spurs. Losing in the DERBY, and also losing Gary B (not that that is a thing but yah).
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:30 pm

chrismachine wrote:Also, I'm watching the arsenal game I recorded, and I'm intrigued by the way the commentators keep talking about how "daahhhby fooh-bowl" is so different from other games. Is that a specific term used for a rivalry game due to them being near each other geographically?

Yes, essentially. Thus, when Stoke play Port Vale, it's a Potteries Derby (despite a feeling of general indifference bordering on ambivalence from Stoke), whereas when Stoke play Arsenal, it's just a 'two teams who are equally disgusted by the sight of each other' match.
MysticalDescent

Postby chrismachine » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Sportscasters here who speak like me insist on calling them darbies, so we must have missed the memo that your pronunciation is just THAT out of control. I just tried for like 10 minutes to find footage online but it's nowhere. I wish I hadn't deleted it from the PVR.
chrismachine

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:38 pm

As a general rule, over here the word 'derby' is pronounced 'darby' in pretty much every context I can think of.
MysticalDescent

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:02 pm

not with horses sometimes

i'm gonna change my location because it's now over a year since i was in Toronto
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:11 pm

I feel that, since I mentioned a sort of mutual dislike between Stoke and Arsenal, I should point out that this animosity isn't a modern phenomenon.

It may go back a little further, but so far as I can work out the whole thing stems from the 1972 FA Cup semi-final replay at Goodison Park. Arsenal had already beaten Stoke in the previous year's semi-final, and the game was poised at 1-1 after they were awarded another very strange penalty. Then, in the second half, an Arsenal player was standing miles offside when a ball was played through to him. Stoke were playing in all white that day and the linesman mistook an ice cream seller (some versions of events say programme seller) in a white jacket on the far side of a pitch for a Stoke defender, meaning that he allowed the Arsenal forward to run through and score the winner, stunning everyone around.

I normally wouldn't mention it, but it's a reasonably amusing anecdote.
MysticalDescent

Postby chrismachine » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:59 pm

chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:36 pm

So long England nice knowing you

I don't feel too bad. We played fairly promisingly against Italy (I didn't see the Uruguay game but I gather it was more like a standard England performance), and I'd hoped that with our fast attack and their slow defence we'd get the better of Uruguay and get into the knockout stages. Didn't happen, but we're still better than we were in 2010. We got further then, but in that tournament we limped through the easiest group and were then humiliated. So we're still better! I have hopes that we can soon return to the comfort of consistently reaching quarter-finals and then exiting on penalties. No more, no less.

Still, comparing England's record to that of other countries is fairly comforting. This is apparently the first time since 1958 that England have exited before the knockout stages (uh, barring the ones we didn't qualify for). That's quite some consistency! Teams who expect something go out in the group stages all the time (checking the history, the last time the actual champions escaped the group stages was twenty years ago... unless they're Brazil). For all the furore over our horrendous 2010 tournament, at least we weren't France or Italy. On the other hand, when those teams do get out of the groups, they at least win the World Cup or whatever.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:21 am

i realize it's been a week since it happened, but i wanted to congratulate my San Antonio Spurs for thoroughly dismantling the Miami Lebron's -- er, .."Heat". the only way it could have meant more to me personally would have been a series sweep against the lakers as well.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Previous

Return to None of the Above