Beers

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Beers

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Never heard of UFO, is it a local one?

Also, we're designing labels for our beer. We have three versions so far. Which do you guys like the best? I mean design wise, colors are changeable and if different colors, please say so.

A:

B:

C:

If you like aspects of a combination of them instead of one let me know.

Had one of the first batch tonight, it needs another week or more to mature. Much less syrupy than when we tried the half filled one (we had it a few days after bottling because apparently underfilled bottles can overcarbonate and explode.)
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby chrismachine » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Third one for sure. As for the UFO, it's a microbrew I believe, but I got it on tap at an enormous sports bar next to fenway park, so it has to be at least mildly popular.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby jvcc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:13 am

Yeah, third one.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Binkatron5000 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:39 am

Definitely the third one!
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:55 am

Read about this on Cracked today, but there is a beer that sells for $800 a bottle.

As mentioned in that article, the previous record holder was "The End of History", which sold for $750, but you get a free squirrel carcass wrapped around your bottle when you buy it. No, I am not kidding.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor

Postby chrismachine » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:23 pm

They did a discovery channel show on that first beer.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Okay, that decides it. It was 4-1 for the third one. I would hypothetically like to send a bottle of each to you who voted. If you're interested, send me a PM. Jvcc would have to wait until she's 21 though. :(

Cracked open the mostly full Affligem style tripel, is pretty tasty, and it's not done conditioning yet, so hopefully it only gets better.

Will be trying some of this year's Blue Moon Pumpkin tonight as well. I enjoyed it last year.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby jvcc » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:24 pm

EvilJekyll wrote:Okay, that decides it. It was 4-1 for the third one. I would hypothetically like to send a bottle of each to you who voted. If you're interested, send me a PM. Jvcc would have to wait until she's 21 though. :(

Pfft. Law-abider. I do turn twenty-one in November, though. Just sayin'.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:53 pm

I could hypothetically send it to someone over 21 that lives with you, and then you could try it on/after your birthday, hypothetically.

Blue Moon Pumpkin this year overdid the pumpkin, and is not too appealing. Drinkable, but not very appealing. Edit: Less concentrated flavour at warmer temperatures.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Need to get some pictures from the Oktoberfest and sour cherry beers up. Currently fermenting some straight mead for the past month. Still going.

Some notes of interest, tried some
Sam Adams Summer Ale on tap. Was better than the winter lager, but still more bland than last year's.

Angry Orchard hard cider (made by Sam Adams) is actually a really good cider. Still prefer Woodchuck's cider, but in a different way. The Angry Orchard has great flavour and is carbonated enough to resemble sparkling apple cider.

Thomas Hooker watermelon ale... is interesting. It's a full flavoured ale, with...watermelon flavour. They don't really blend, and maybe part of it was that it wasn't cold enough when I tried it. It's not bad, but kinda of strange flavour palette.

Anchor summer ale, very light feel, light flavour but not bland.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EsBe » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Sell me on the hard cider. My idea of hard cider is regular apple cider (of the unfiltered variety, since "cider" apparently means different things on each side of the Atlantic) left unopened on the countertop for about a month or so. A friend gave me some bottled hard cider to try, and to me it resembled beer made from apple juice, which was not quite my thing. She was drinking the brand you mentioned when I saw her last weekend, but I did not think to ask for some, expecting it to be more of the same.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:19 pm

EsBe wrote:My idea of hard cider is regular apple cider (of the unfiltered variety). She was drinking the brand you mentioned when I saw her last weekend, but I did not think to ask for some, expecting it to be more of the same.

It's closer to apple juice, since it's light and fruity, but worth a try at least. The hard thing with most commercial beers/ciders is that they're usually filtered due to a variety of reasons (consistency, shelf life, visual appeal, etc.)

River Horse is a brewing company (in my state even) that offers unfiltered. I can't remember which one we got :( but it was good, pretty hoppy though.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:42 am

Old Rasputin Imperial Stout is actually as good as people have been saying. Less bitter than Guiness and definitely more drinkable. I haven't had many other stouts though.

McSorely's Irish Pale ale is somewhere between an IPA and a Pale Ale, and definitely worth a shot if you see it. Also very drinkable.

Shiner's Holiday Cheer is a pretty good fruity beer, even if one of the 6-pack I got was uncarbonated :|.

Long Trail's Hibernator ale is a chocolatey ale that is decent. Kinda of desserty even.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:33 pm

We brewed some Butterbeer on Saturday. It was highly active the next day. I'll let you know how it goes.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EsBe » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:03 am

I hereby resurrect this -- um, let me take a look -- holy smokes 3+ year old (!) thread because I now live next to a shop aptly named "Good Beer" and have been gradually drinking my way through it in search of things I like. Try and see if you can spot the theme!

Central Waters Brewing Co. Satin Solitude Imperial Stout: apparently folks in Wisconsin know their brews.
Victory Storm King Stout: makes me feel all happy inside.
Left Hand Milk Stout: somehow actually tastes a bit like dairy. I like this one with burgers.
Farmer John's Oatmeal Stout: very caramelly and only sold by Heartland Brewery at their bars (nooooooooooo!)
Founder's Breakfast Stout: tied with Farmer John's for maybe the best beer I've ever tasted?

Most everything else, I've found, well I'll defer to Monty Python on this one.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Previous

Return to None of the Above