Foods

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Foods

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:57 pm

This topic be about food. Talk about your favourites, stuff you like to make, things you've tried, etc.

Yesterday I made some of these tasty but not so healthy Stuffed Breadsticks. Just plain cheese though, and with dough from the supermarket (they have raw pizza dough by the eggs.) Pretty simple, and I brushed them with olive oil instead of butter with garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Line the baking pan with some aluminum foil and/or cooking spray, as cheese blowouts can happen.

This was in addition to my version of a no-work pizza. Which is basically the same raw dough, floured and rolled and stretched to fit the pizza pan, then add some pasta/pizza sauce, and top with shredded cheese, and whatever else you want (I cut up some peppers and onions and finished leftover pepperoni.)

Another good, but simple recipe thing I was going to post was easy quesadillas. Formerly found here, but no longer. I'll see if I still have the printout though. It was better than what they have now for quesadillas.

I also enjoy The Food Lab by Serious Eats' J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

So go for it, discuss, post some recipes, disagree, advise, comment and so forth.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Re: Foods

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:38 pm

A similar thing to what you've done is we take croissant roll dough from the tube and I'll wrap it around string cheese that I've warmed slightly in a microwave first. For extra fun, put pepperoni between the two layers.

One of our favorite healthy meals is an easy and supremely healthy beans and rice:

1 lb uncooked brown rice
1 box chicken broth and 4 cups water or just 2 boxes
1 can condensed milk
1 medium onion, diced
2 cans black beans
4 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
Creole seasoning
1 lb meat of your choice or no meat at all. Hamburger works good here, as does chicken. Steak strips would probably be awesome.

Brown any meat off in pan or saute chicken in small amount oil or butter. Meanwhile, combine all liquid and rice in a large pot and put on high heat. Add meat to pot when it is cooked. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often, before adding onion and garlic. When most of the liquid has been cooked into the rice, add beans and turn heat to low to simmer, stirring continuously. Check rice for doneness, as some varieties may need longer cooking. If rice is still undercooked, add liquid and resume simmer. (Brown rice will stay fairly stiff even when cooked, though). Liquid will thicken as it cools, so don't cook all of the liquid out of it. Add creole seasoning to taste. Serves a family of 4 for days. Serving suggestion: serve with whole wheat tortillas, especially if you crisp them in a lightly oiled skillet first.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby fanelian » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 am

:D Quesadillas cannot get simpler than:

1) Heat a tortilla (preferrably corn)
2) add your favorite cheese that melts (preferrably white)
3) fold the tortilla, containing the cheese in it.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby jvcc » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:17 am

I like quesadillas.

Mac'n'cheese is my favorite food. I like either Kraft or the kind from Noodles'n'Company.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Home made chips are, I find, better than any that you can buy to cook at home. Admittedly this isn't an especially complicated or uncommon recipe, but this is how I do it anyway. Get decent quality potatoes, cut them into chips of the desired size (I prefer the smaller chips that you get, no idea why) and leave them soaking in water in a saucepan overnight. When the time to cook them arrives, Put them in a deep fat frier at a temperature around 170 Degrees Celsius for a little while (I think about 10 minutes) and then pull them out. Warm the frier up to 190 and put them back in until they look cooked. When I take them out, I like to put them into a dish lined with kitchen paper towels to absorb any grease, but that's just me.
MysticalDescent

Postby Zombie Protestor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:16 pm

jvcc wrote:Mac'n'cheese is my favorite food. I like Velveeta Shells and Cheese because everything else is second rate.

FTFY.

I want to use authentic Mexican cheeses for our tacos and such, but in a city with a large hispanic presence, we can't really find queso blanco. Well, I suppose we could try one of the specialty stores but I'm not sure how odd it'd be for me to waltz in there.

Oh, we found you can make a delicious cooking liquid for chicken or pork by mixing one can condensed cream of chicken soup with one small tub sour cream. Just mix them and pour over the meat and then bake. We chop dried beef and put it underneath chicken when we do this, which absorbs the extra liquid and tastes like bacon in the end.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:16 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:a deep fat frier at a temperature

Another use for a wok is deep frying. Woks are very multipurpose.

fanelian wrote::D Quesadillas cannot get simpler than:

I found the recipe, which is pretty cool for people who are not very confident about cooking. I prefer using wheat instead of white tortillas, as I feel the flavour is better. Although, I'm not sure if I've had a corn tortilla for quesadillas.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby James » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:29 am

Pytt-i-panna
Bacon
Potatoes
Carrot, onion, whatever else (optional)

Fry

Eat with lingonsylt

This is the level of complexity I can comfortably handle.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:23 am

Buy oatcakes
Grill them with bacon and cheese
Eat delicious oatcakes.
MysticalDescent

Postby Zombie Protestor » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:36 am

Rum Cake

1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
4 large brown eggs
2 cups of dried fruit
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of brown sugar
Lemon juice
Nuts
1 bottle of rum

Sample the rum to check for quality. Take a large bowl. Check the rum again. To be sure it's the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again. Make sure the rum is still OK. Cry another tup. Tune up the mixer. Beat two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the turner. If the fired druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it goose with a drewscriver. Sample the rum to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares? Check the rum. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon the sugar or something. Whatever you can find. Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the rum again and go to bed.
Zombie Protestor

Postby PonderThis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:20 am

fanelian wrote::D Quesadillas cannot get simpler than:

2) add your favorite cheese that melts (preferrably white)
3) fold the tortilla, containing the cheese in it.

I like making quesadillas but I can't keep it simple. I usually add diced onion and jalapeño and whatever leftover meat I happen to have around.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby fanelian » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 am

LOL @ Zombie : I love that recipe.

Oh, quesadillas are good with chopped carne asada (grilled meat), salsa (Chopped tomato, onion and serrano peppers, coriander is sometimes used), guacamole and some pinto beans. :9 If you can't find a "Oaxaca" or "Asadero" cheese, you can always use Mozzarella or Monterrey Jack. I bet those are fairly common in any US city.

Also, I'd love to have some pico de gallo right now: Some mango, jicama, watermelon, cantaloupe, pinneaple chuncks, add some lime juice, salt & a bit of chili powder. :9 Refreshing and delicious, and you can add whatever fruit you want or remove any undesirable ones.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Zombie Protestor » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:50 am

fanelian wrote:coriander

Not sure what the convention is in Mexico, but here coriander is the seeds of the cilantro plant and cilantro is, well, the leaves. Here, cilantro is used in salsa as the seeds are only good in a finely ground form.

EDIT: Wikipedia says this is a purely American thing to call the seeds one thing and the plant another.
Zombie Protestor

Postby fanelian » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:12 pm

I was going to write cilantro, but trying to make myself clear I looked for a translation, and coriander was what I got. I meant the leaves.
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Zombie Protestor » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:36 pm

So today lead to the invention of our new favorite quick meal. We were discussing what to have for lunch, and the conversation went something like this:

Connie: Do we have bread in there?
Me: Nope, just tortillas.
Connie: Oh. Well, we could use that with the bologna we have in there if you want to fry the bologna.
Me: Can't think of many other options.
Connie: Was thinking, though: What if we added sauteed onions to it? Been wanting those lately on something.

So I get in the kitchen and realize that I can't very well fry bologna and saute onions in the same skillet. Or can I? I start two large onions sauteing and cut up 4 pieces of bologna into 8 wedges each and throw them in. Throwing the resulting mix into tortillas, I serve it up and it is absolutely awesome.
Zombie Protestor

Postby jvcc » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:21 pm

I know nothing about cooking. Does anyone know how to make Chinese (or Chinese-inspired) dishes using tofu at home? I had tofu with rice and orange sauce at a Chinese restaurant a while ago and it was delicious. I think the tofu was fried or breaded somehow.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Zombie Protestor » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:19 pm

All three parts of the Good Eats episode about tofu. It will no doubt answer every question you have about how to prepare it and cook it. Because Alton Brown is the man.
Zombie Protestor

Postby giantsfan97 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:19 pm

I love Mexican food and I've never even had good Mexican food. I rickin'-frackin' love quesadillas. I rickin'-frackin' LOVE THEM.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Skimba » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:03 am

I'd like to take the time to learn how to make pierogies from scratch.
I "doctor up" the frozen store bought ones quite fantastically, but imagine if I made my own!
This thought brought to you by the fact that I cooked them yesterday for linner for catass and I.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby fanelian » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Oh, I miss Catassssss
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Skimba wrote:This thought brought to you by the fact that I cooked them yesterday for linner for catass and I.

Am I dick enough to link the Grammar Nazi video

I guess not

Anyway, I had some of my good peoples over and made roasted chicken breast with creamy butternut squash and it went pretty well because it is really easy to make.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Yesterday we made some jalepeno cream cheese chicken enchiladas to use up some of the jalepenos we grew. Substituting fat free cream cheese, and whole wheat tortillas. Delicious filling, canned sauce is just not as good as making your own.

There's an awesome vegetarian enchilada recipe in the Kitchen Bible that includes sauce from scratch.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Skimba wrote:I cooked them yesterday for dinner for catass and me.

Wait, did I miss something? Skimba and catass know each other irl now?

Oh, and what entee was hinting at was if you have a situation where you have to pick between "and I" or "and me" just take out what comes before it and see if it makes sense. Compare:

I made dinner for catass and I.
I made dinner for I. = with the preceding subject removed

I made dinner for catass and me.
I made dinner for me.
Zombie Protestor

Postby James » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:09 am

Zombie Protestor wrote:Wait, did I miss something? Skimba and catass know each other irl now?

Yes, you did miss something, and you've been missing it for ages, apparently.

(To be fair, it doesn't come up often, but it has been repeatedly alluded to.)
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:54 am

I missed it too, if that's any consolation.
MysticalDescent

Next

Return to None of the Above