Foods

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Foods

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:12 pm

Dusk wrote:The doctor found nothing and a couple of hundred bucks worth of tests came up blank, althought I still get to have a camera up my butt at some stage. Woo!

Are you paying for this, or is that part of the payment for everything else?
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:31 pm

Zombie Protestor wrote:
jvcc wrote:Gluten is, as you, in everything.

Dusk is in everything. That's either an innuendo to his promiscuity or you know some terrible cannibalistic secret.

"Oh, relax kids. I’ve got a gut feeling Uter’s around here somewhere. After all, isn’t there a little Uter in all of us? In fact, you might even say we just ate Uter, and he’s in our stomachs right now! Wait, scratch that one."

Oh, dear, I meant to write "as you say."
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:56 am

Those are the best kind of mistakes :)
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby loofah » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:36 am

Out of curiosity, did you just trade one simple carb for another, or did you reduce your total carb intake? I find that if I eat too many refined carbs without something else to slow down digestion (e.g. beans with rice), that I get hungry much sooner and can crash pretty hard. It seems that so many people are reporting positive results from gluten-free diets that it makes me wonder how much is due to their reduced consumption of carbs and how much is due to an actual gluten intolerance.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Dusk » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:18 pm

loofah wrote:Out of curiosity, did you just trade one simple carb for another, or did you reduce your total carb intake? I find that if I eat too many refined carbs without something else to slow down digestion (e.g. beans with rice), that I get hungry much sooner and can crash pretty hard. It seems that so many people are reporting positive results from gluten-free diets that it makes me wonder how much is due to their reduced consumption of carbs and how much is due to an actual gluten intolerance.

I've reduced my total carb intake which, yeah, defintely has improved my energy levels and mood. I agree there's probably a lot of "false positives" as far as the gluten free lifestyle goes. The main thing for me is the reduction of pain and squirts, without going into too much detail.
I'm waiting on blood test results at the moment, so we shall see.
The biggest problem I can see is FOOD BOREDOM. I have a very high salad threshold, but even I'm being worn down. Our society is so wheatcentric.. and I hate eating the same thing day in, day out.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby fanelian » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:27 pm

I hate that eating has turned into something so troublesome :(.

I didn't want to double post, so I'm editing instead.

I'll throw a party for my 30th birthday and I only have figured out that I will be renting a jukebox and an outdoors heater, and have copious amounts of alcoholic beverages - you're invited. I wish you could make it ... :(

Last year I served chicken balls with barbeque, buffallo and ranch dressings and some carrot, zuccini and celery strips. I also had green olives in clamato with chili powder. It was a hassle to keep serving warm chicken, though, since it was a winter night and my oven is small, and I had to go in and out several times. I'd like to avoid the hassle this time, but more than that I'd like to do something different.

Any suggestions?
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Skimba » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 am

Good hot and when they chill out (or are supposed to be cold) that I have on-hand here at work:

Olive Poppers

24 kalamata olives
1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese
3/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
2 TBLS Milk
9 TBLS flour
3 TBLS butter
1/2 teas Kosher Salt
3 TBLS Cream Cheese

Mix flour & Cheddar in mixer. Add butter, tabasco and salt.
Slowly add milk and mix until soft dough is formed.

Pit olives and stuff with softened Cream Cheese (you can add herbs to that if you like).

Pinch off small amount of dough and completely around olive.

Bake 400 for 15-20 min. until golden brown.

Tortilla Roll-Ups - Really simple and very tasty
INGREDIENTS:
• 12 (14-ounce package) flour tortillas
• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles (if you like green chilies like I do, get a 7oz can)
• 3 tablespoons chopped green onion
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
• 12 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (I usually buy the already shredded 16oz package)
• 1 cup salsa or picante sauce
PREPARATION:
Directions for tortilla roll-ups.
In a medium bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, chilies, onion, red bell pepper, and Cheddar cheese. Mix thoroughly. Spread onto tortillas and roll up. Cover tightly and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
When ready to serve, cut each roll into 1/2-inch slices. Serve with salsa or picante sauce. Makes about 8 dozen pieces of tortilla roll-ups.

I really hate when the frames cut off and I cannot see what I am typing because of the weird way my monitor is set up at work, so I'll continue in another post.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby Skimba » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 am

Foods:
Spinach & Feta Tart thingies These are good when fresh out of the oven and when they cool down.
Ingredients
1 pkg. (9.5 ounces) Mini Puff Pastry Shells (Or 1 pkg. large shells if that is all you can find)
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. minced/chopped fine onion
1 tsp. minced/chopped garlic
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1/4 cup minimum crumbled feta cheese (use how much you like and what looks to be a good ratio when added to the spinach.)
2 tbsp. minced sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
Directions
Bake, cool and remove the "top" of the shells according to the package directions. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.

Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and (optional) tomatoes.

Divide the spinach mixture among the shells. Bake for 10 minutes more or until hot and cheese has melted some.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby Skimba » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:31 am

Easy Crab Dip

2 Pkg 8oz Low-fat Cream Cheese, softened
3 tablespoons Milk
1 Tablespoon Sour Cream
2 Green Onions, finely chopped
2 cans 6oz canned Crab Meat
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder or Garlic Salt (may use more to own personal taste)
1 jar Cocktail Sauce

In medium bowl mix together cream cheese, milk, sour cream, garlic powder/salt, and green onions. Gradually add 1 1/2 cans of the crab meat into mixture (saving the rest). Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Remove from bowl and shape into mound on plate. Cover in cocktail sauce and sprinkle remaining crab meat over mound. Serve with crackers or hard bread.

OK. It's time to go back to work now.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:40 pm

My tax return came in and I bought food, which is good because I had one bowl of cereal, some frozen peas and two cloves of garlic left.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Skimba » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Not long after I moved to CO and had yet to find a job I had left to eat/drink: Beer, peanutbutter & jelly and crackers. Then it was beer, jelly and crackers, which then became just crackers. Then the unemployment check came and I no longer resented the crackers.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby Dusk » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Skimba, thos eolive things sound awesome.
I have three olive trees in my backyard. We pickled some last year and they were pretty good.. but it's a laborious process.

ntw3001 wrote:My tax return came in and I bought food, which is good because I had one bowl of cereal, some frozen peas and two cloves of garlic left.

Mmm Crunchy Garlic Peas.
When I was a student I used to buy loads of 2 minute noodles.. also sachets of soup. Maybe blow your first paycheck on buying loads of cheap staples.
Then melt them down and fashion a sword.

Booze is nutritious.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 pm

gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby loofah » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:04 pm

I know that I'm completely predictable for saying this, but have you considered beans?
Seriously, though. You can pretty much make them taste like anything you want. Lots of indian, mexican, and mediterranean foods feature them, which opens up side dishes to a large extent, and increases variety.
Also, what do you mean by salad? I find that a lot of people think a salad is just a giant bed of iceberg lettuce with some carrot shavings, a cherry tomato, and a butt load of dressing. Boring and gross. There are so many different things a salad could be. You could combine mixed greens, halved grapes, slivered almonds, mandarin oranges, blue cheese and some balsamic vinegar, and it's a million times tastier and more nutritious. And it still fits under the standard definition of salad. Expand your definition of salad by looking at different cuisines, and lettuce isn't even involved anymore. Instead, it's a collection of vegetables and tasty spices. And many of them are super easy to make.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Zombie Protestor » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:27 pm

If nothing else, follow the rice and beans recipe I posted. Meal costs a total of maybe $7 and feeds a person for several days. If you are on WIC like we are then the rice, beans, evaporated milk, and vegetables are part of what they give you. We just have to buy some chicken broth to make ours.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am

Ugh. What is going wrong here? I am trying to make a white pasta sauce and instead making pancake batter. I am following the recipes exactly! Are all these recipes mislabelled? That must be the answer.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby loofah » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:20 am

What are the proportions of the recipes?
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:54 am

Welll first I tried this recipe, and it didn't work at all. Then I tried this, which resulted in something somewhat more like a food. It even looked vaguely right, briefly, but it went directly from 'too thin' to 'too thick' with no intermediate state. Like a flash.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Dusk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:16 am

Zombie Protestor wrote:If nothing else, follow the rice and beans recipe I posted. Meal costs a total of maybe $7 and feeds a person for several days. If you are on WIC like we are then the rice, beans, evaporated milk, and vegetables are part of what they give you. We just have to buy some chicken broth to make ours.

Is it evaporated milk or condensed milk?
So the US govt gives you cheques to buy staples with? That's interesting. They should probably implement something like that over here.

You're right, loofah. I should eat more beans. I used to love this five bean mix salad with grapes and lime juice, but I never got the recipe. It had some sort of x-factor I could never replicate. In your honour, I bought more beans at the supermarket today.
Meanwhile, I made a killer mojito today, but that's for another thread, I guess.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby PonderThis » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:03 am

ntw3001 wrote:Welll first I tried this recipe, and it didn't work at all. Then I tried this, which resulted in something somewhat more like a food. It even looked vaguely right, briefly, but it went directly from 'too thin' to 'too thick' with no intermediate state. Like a flash.

Just add more milk to thin it back out.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:05 am

Dusk wrote:So the US govt gives you cheques to buy staples with?

Actually what they used to do was issue "food stamps", which was like a special kind of money that could only be used to buy certain things. They stopped doing that years ago, though, and moved on to "food cards" which look sorta like credit cards but can only be used to buy certain things. I'm guessing it's a lot harder to game the system with an individually issued card than with the old anybody-could-use-it food stamps.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby giantsfan97 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:15 am

fanelian wrote:I'll throw a party for my 30th birthday and I only have figured out that I will be renting a jukebox and an outdoors heater, and have copious amounts of alcoholic beverages - you're invited. I wish you could make it ... :(

I SAY WE ALL GO WHOS WITH ME
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:35 pm

PonderThis wrote:
Dusk wrote:So the US govt gives you cheques to buy staples with?

Actually what they used to do was issue "food stamps", which was like a special kind of money that could only be used to buy certain things. They stopped doing that years ago, though, and moved on to "food cards" which look sorta like credit cards but can only be used to buy certain things. I'm guessing it's a lot harder to game the system with an individually issued card than with the old anybody-could-use-it food stamps.

Yeah, the problem is that using any sort of government assistance is looked down upon in the US. When I was a young teenager my family qualified for food stamps or food cards, whichever, but my mom wouldn't use them because she didn't want my brother and I to embarrassed (and she didn't want to embarrass herself as well, presumably, because neither he nor I cared much about the matter). I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but people here sort of automatically assume that anyone using government aid doesn't deserve it and is trying to, as Ponder says, game the system. Of course that does happen, but I'd assume that it applies to the minority rather than majority of food card users.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EsBe » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:31 pm

As someone who worked as a cashier, I can confirm that WIC checks are an utterly ridiculous hassle. Just the number of restrictions on it are mind boggling, and I've never seen anyone bring the correct type of bread to the register; it has to be unsalted (i.e. taste like poo) because heaven forbid a child has a tasty slice of bread and learn to like food. :? And identifying the correct cereal is like trying to slip through a PETA picket line, dressed in a fur coat and ostrich feathers.

non-whining content:

Pound cake (from the Baking by Dorie Greenspan)

Preheat to 350F, lube and flour 2 8.5"x4.5"x2.5" loaf pans.

Melt 7 Tbsp unsalted butter.

sift together:
2 2/3 c A.P. flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt

rub together:
2 1/3 c sugar
insides of 3 vanilla pods

(congratulations, you will now smell great for the rest of the day)

whisk together, in order:
the sugar+vanilla
6 large eggs
2/3 c heavy cream
2 1/2 Tbsp dark rum
2-3 tsp vanilla extract (if you didn't have any vanilla pods to begin with)

Fold the dry into the wet (in installments), then fold in the cooled but still melted butter. Pour into the 2 prepped pans.

Bake for 50 minutes, cool for 5 minutes, de-pan and perforate all over with a skewer.

boil:
1/3 c water
1/4 c sugar

then remove from heat and add 1/4 c rum

Brush that all over the 2 cooling pound cakes.

extra credit: replace the vanilla with lemon zest and extract, and add poppy seeds to batter.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:20 am

giantsfan97 wrote:
fanelian wrote:I'll throw a party for my 30th birthday and I only have figured out that I will be renting a jukebox and an outdoors heater, and have copious amounts of alcoholic beverages - you're invited. I wish you could make it ... :(

I SAY WE ALL GO WHOS WITH ME

We're moving the party to Toronto, right? Okay, right, sounds good. I'll be there! CN Tower, 8pm.
ntw3001
Group Captain

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above