Foods

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Foods

Postby James » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:49 pm

giantsfan97 wrote:
fanelian wrote:I'll throw a party for my 30th birthday and I only have figured out that I will be renting a jukebox and an outdoors heater, and have copious amounts of alcoholic beverages - you're invited. I wish you could make it ... :(

I SAY WE ALL GO WHOS WITH ME

SURE, WHO'S DRIVING?
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:28 am

Okay, right. My plan is to make http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-breast-with-butternut-chilli, which I've done before and is really easy but gives people the impression I can cook, but I'm feeding vegetarians. While the squash works fine by itself, I'd like to come up with something to give the meal a little more thing. At the moment my best plan is some kind of tofu-slab seared amongst barbecue sauce, but aside from the challenges of locating such a slab, I'm not sure that it would actually be good. So does anyone have ideas? What do vegetarians like that can replace a chicken breast?
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Skimba » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 am

I probably did not see this in time, but there are a few options:
There are pre-packaged vegetarian chicken products in most (US) grocery stores. Some even have the fake chicken strips, which could be a good replacement. If fake meat isn't the option, instead of just going for tofu, try a spaghetti squash innards that replicate pasta, but will still flow with the other squashes and flavorings. If they are pescatarians, try using a white fish instead of chicken, but it will cook quicker.
Also, try substituting potatos in place of the chicken?
A couple on the market:
http://www.morningstarfarms.com/morningstar-farms-meal-starters-chikn-strips.html
http://www.lightlife.com/product_detail.jsp?p=smartstripschickn
Oooo...if you can find them, lightlife makes cuttlets and tenders also. (I have not tried these. Their hotdogs are pretty good. I usually use Morningstar products as they are the easiest, and cheapest, to find for me.)
http://www.lightlife.com/strips-tenders.jsp

Now everyone knows a little more about veggie "meat". You're welcome.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby loofah » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 pm

another option, in addition to tofu, would be chicken-like seitan strips or tempeh. If you have a store near you that carries hippie items (co-op, whole foods, etc), you should be able to find these, which I find have a more interesting texture than tofu. However, you'll want to try making it ahead of time, to see how much the texture changes when baking for that long.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Skimba » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:05 am

I've had those go with foods pretty well, but somehow I always seem to overcook them and they become tough to chew.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby jvcc » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:03 pm

I discussed The Barefoot Contessa here before, but I'm not sure if I was truly able to explain the excellence of the show. She's from the Hamptons in the East Coast, which is really the only place where we have old money in the US. Her husband is gone four or five days a week at Yale professoring and only comes home for the weekends; whenever he's on screen with her she's usually holding him by the face so that it looks like she's preventing him from bolting. When she did her special hour-long episode in London she rented a double decker bus for him to ride around the city by himself while she went and ate food at various restaurants and shops.

She also has a fully functional kitchen in her barn (which is on the same property as her house), and to reward the builders who made the kitchen she baked them--and I cannot stress enough that I am not kidding about this--hammer-shaped cookies. In another episode that involved the lower classes she made a tablescape out of a bucket and paintbrushes instead of a vase and flowers. In the episode I'm currently watching (which prompted this outburst) she referred to matzo balls as "peasant food."

The show's such a trainwreck, but I can't look away.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EsBe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Have you ever seen her call-in holiday (don't know if it was Thanksgiving or Christmas) episode? The episode ended with a montage of besweatered twentysomethings* in webcam or phone videos asking things like, "Okay, I did just what you said! I bought all these ingredients and a bottle of expensive vanilla extract. But now, like, what do I do with them?" Also, in response to a question "what's the best way to make X" she replies "Just buy it from the store, dahling. It'll be fabulous; no one will know the difference."

*In the interests of disclosure, I am a twentysomething and I am currently wearing a sweater. It's cold.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Zombie Protestor » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Today I made some awesome pork chops. I did my usual method of searing them off and putting them in the crock pot submersed in chicken broth for about 4-6 hours (or more, depending on the heat level of your crock. This turns the connective tissue to yummy gelatin), but this time I decided to add 2 tbsp of dijon mustard to the chicken broth too.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby EsBe » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:18 pm

I am the only one awake in the house, which is my favorite time to bake. Fennel upsidedown cake, commence.
EsBe

Postby badplantmommy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:06 pm

EsBe wrote:I am the only one awake in the house, which is my favorite time to bake. Fennel upsidedown cake, commence.

Yum! That must have been good. What part of fennel did you use, the seeds?
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby EsBe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:10 am

badplantmommy wrote:
EsBe wrote:I am the only one awake in the house, which is my favorite time to bake. Fennel upsidedown cake, commence.

Yum! That must have been good. What part of fennel did you use, the seeds?

A whole bulb sliced, simmered in simple syrup with fennel seeds and lemon zest.
EsBe

Postby badplantmommy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:57 am

Mmmmm, that does sound good!
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Previous

Return to None of the Above