Foods

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Foods

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:02 pm

For me, it's always been breakfast, followed by lunch, followed by tea. That makes it look like a three course breakfast. You all know what I mean. Dinner never, ever, ever refers to tea, but can refer to lunch sometimes. It's not something I've heard lately though.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Nyperold » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:34 pm

Someone once made a map of the United States, showing what term the majority of people in each county (or parish, in the case of Louisiana) used to refer to carbonated soft drinks in general (soda, pop, coke, other), and by what percentage range.

I wonder if anyone's done something similar for what dinner means.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby jvcc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:09 pm

I say "pop" in general, but will occasionally say "soda" if I think it will sound better in the sentence or I'm talking to someone who's not from the Midwest.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:03 am

Midwest words that have made it to Colorado that I had to interpret when I first moved here:
pop = soda
buggy = shopping cart
sack = bag
Would I like my pop in a sack? Oh...ummm...No,...thank you?
Also, natives (as they call themselves) do not pronounce their w's very well. The name Dawn sounds exactly like the name Don to my ears.
However, being from Philly, I (apparently) over pronounce them. To Coloradoians, when I say Dawn, it sounds to them like Dawwwn.
Oh wait, this is about foods. Umm....that comic in the other thread made me crave a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which is what I am having for breakfast today. Peanut butter on the bottom, of course.

P.S. When I first typed jelly, I mis-typed it as jekky. Peanut butter and jekky. :wink:
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby jvcc » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 am

Skimba wrote:Midwest words that have made it to Colorado that I had to interpret when I first moved here:
pop = soda
buggy = shopping cart
sack = bag
I say neither "buggy" nor "sack". I did recently refer to a shopping cart as a "trolley", unthinkingly, and was soundly mocked for it by my fellow Americans.

Skimba wrote:Also, natives (as they call themselves) do not pronounce their w's very well. The name Dawn sounds exactly like the name Don to my ears.
I have a problem pronouncing them differently, but I know other Midwesterners who can say "Dawn" correctly.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby James » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm

Soda poop.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 pm

Skimba wrote:P.S. When I first typed jelly, I mis-typed it as jekky. Peanut butter and jekky. :wink:
:oops: :P

That made me think of draculahunter and his honey. I miss him. :cry:
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Nyperold » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 pm

You mean a shopping trolley isn't just how King Friday gets his groceries? :wink:
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:46 am

Fat free oreos are not good :(

Good sugar free cookies: Voortman brand, most of them are delicious. I've only see them at Walmart, though. If you want a close approximation to original oreos without sugar, Murray's version is fairly good. The internet tells me there are actual Oreo brand cookies that are sugar free, but I haven't found them in the actual store.

Also good, Russell Stover sugar free chocolates. I specially like the coconut ones.

Oh, and Blue bunny sugar free ice creams are excellent, too.

All of the above have splenda on them, so if you are against it, sorry, but I haven't found anything else that does not have sugar or splenda and is still tasty.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:37 pm

fanelian wrote:Fat free oreos are not good :(

Good sugar free cookies: Voortman brand, most of them are delicious. I've only see them at Walmart, though. If you want a close approximation to original oreos without sugar, Murray's version is fairly good. The internet tells me there are actual Oreo brand cookies that are sugar free, but I haven't found them in the actual store.

Also good, Russell Stover sugar free chocolates. I specially like the coconut ones.

Oh, and Blue bunny sugar free ice creams are excellent, too.

All of the above have splenda on them, so if you are against it, sorry, but I haven't found anything else that does not have sugar or splenda and is still tasty.

I really like Joseph's pecan shortbread cookies. They're a lot like Pecan Sandies, but made with maltitol.
http://www.josephslitecookies.com/index ... entCatID=1
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby badplantmommy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:54 am

I wonder if anybody makes instant hot chocolate with Splenda or even stevia? I'd like a low calorie hot choccy this winter, but I'd rather not ingest any of the other non-sugar sweeteners. I've even thought of trying to make my own, with the kind of cocoa powder I use for baking.
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby Skimba » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Yesterday I made vegetarian gravy for stuffing/dressing I made a day or two ago. Now I want to eat it on everything.
I followed a recipe I got online the first time I made it and it was OK. The second time better. This time I think it's pretty awesome (as does catass) and I'm sticking to my new recipe from now on.
If anyone ever would like a recipe for vegetarian (not vegan-it uses a butter substance) gravy, just let me know.
I should specify that this is a vegetarian brown gravy. I already knew how to make a kicking vegetarian white gravy. Essentially, all white gravy is vegetarian, it's just that most people and places add sausage or bacon. :(
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Please share! I would like to try this.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby chrismachine » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:03 pm

I have a vegetarian SIL so that would be helpful :)
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby Skimba » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 am

I had pool league last night. Will add recipe tonight.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Skimba wrote:I should specify that this is a vegetarian brown gravy. I already knew how to make a kicking vegetarian white gravy. Essentially, all white gravy is vegetarian, it's just that most people and places add sausage or bacon. :(

Morning Star makes a good vegetarian sausage. I've never tried their bacon.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Their facon is pretty darn good also.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:50 pm

I have a kitchen to use myself now! Well it's between four of us, but I seem to be the only one who makes anything more complicated than 'pan of beef mince with a fork in it'. The problem is that the only working part of the oven is the hob (well, two of the hobs), so there's a limit to what I can do. But I have learned that pan-friend pork liver is cost-effective. Reading up I learn that it's got all sorts of useful nutrients too! And also most of the cholestrol a person can ever ever eat, so I can't cook it too much. But, uh, yeah, it's a good meat for someone on a haven't-started-work-yet budget. Gonna marinade it in soy sauce and fry up wit rice ta see whut happens yo
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:10 pm

If you're looking for cost-effective, get a crock-pot and get the roomies to pitch in a few bucks for huge meals that will feed you several times over. Chili and pulled pork are personal favourites.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby loofah » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Cheap and nutritious? Beans & rice, bean & veggie soup, daals, lentils and spinach with caramelized onions, refried beans.... Consider me the bubba gump of pulses.

Also, toaster ovens are a great alternative to regular ovens. I haven't used my regular oven in at least 5 years.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Skimba » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:31 am

Vegetarian Gravy - Skimba style

1 tablespoon butter or margarine (I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - Light)
1/4 cup minced onion (whatever kind you like, just not sweet onion)
3 cloves minced garlic or 3 teaspoons jarred minced or chopped garlic
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons low-salt/light soy sauce
4 cups vegetable stock (I recommend bouillon cubes - 3 cubes to 4 cups water; cooked as directed)
2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
Pepper to taste

Saute the onion and garlic in the butter until onions become translucent (about 3 min.). Add to vegetable stock and set aside. In a medium sauce pot add flour and cook until the flour becomes light brown and toasted (usually when it starts to barely smoke); stirring very frequently. Whisk in stock onion/garlic mixture and soy sauce, pepper, (if using dried parsley, add at this time also), whisking frequently until mixture comes to a boil and starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
If using fresh parsley, add after the first boil.
Cook for about 2 more minutes.
If gravy is too thick, add more water/stock a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
If gravy is too thin, cook longer. It will thicken upon standing.

Any questions, let me know!

Added bonus easy/quick recipe:
1 cup Elbow Macaroni
1 large can (28oz.) peeled and diced tomatoes
1 small can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (7oz.) chopped or diced green chilies
2/3 cup frozen corn
1 teaspoon cumin
1 package vegetarian burger crumbles (optional - it is good with or without the fake meat)
Salt - about 1/2 teaspoon and Pepper - about 1 teaspoon - always to what you want to add/to taste.

Make 1 cup elbow macaroni as directed, drain and set aside.
In large cooking pot add crumbles and cook until thawed. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies and cumin.
Cook until a boil starts. Add the salt, pepper, corn and macaroni and cook until heated through.
Enjoy!
Shredded cheese is also very good on top of a bowl of this.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby giantsfan97 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:30 pm

Skimba wrote:Their falcon is pretty darn good also.

wtf is wrong with you
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:50 pm

WARNING: The following post contains health issues and adult themes.

I've had some health issues for a while now. Nothing life threatening, but I've had a fair amount of discomfort and pain in my abdominal area.
Initially I thought it was a hernia, because all of the symptoms were there. The doctor found nothing and a couple of hundred bucks worth of tests came up blank, althought I still get to have a camera up my butt at some stage. Woo!
So the doctor suggests (in a rather throwaway manner) that I give up gluten for a while and see how that goes for me.

Firstly, I just want to say to all my non-gluten friends that I now understand the [swear]bullhonky[/swear] you go through every day. That stuff is in freakin' everything.
What an incredibly limiting experience.. and the prices you are forced to pay for gluten free biscuits, cereals, pasta etc etc are outrageous.
Anyway.. it made me realise how much bread I eat and how much carbs I ingest and how much harder I have to work to stop myself expanding.
After two weeks:
- My mood had lifted considerably. Whether this is a direct result or a by-product of all the other benefits, I don't know, but I'm not complaining.
- My pants keep falling down. I don't weigh myself, but I've definitely lost weight in that short period of time.
- All discomfort is gone.
- I'm not as hungry.
- I'm not crashing at my desk in the afternoon.
- Then there's the poop. I took a beautiful dump the other day. The sort of dump I haven't had since I was a kid. Magical.

So, even though I don't seem to be coeliac (I have another appointment this afternoon to organise more tests), this exercise has definitely been beneficial.
I am probably the most skeptical and resistant-to-change person you'll meet when it comes to altering my lifestyle, but this seems to have really worked for me. YMMV.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:45 pm

When I was just a child myself yet still doing childcare with my brother at our old church, we used to give the kids snacks. It was common knowledge amongst the parents that we did so. One day a parent came to pick up her child and became panicked when she found out that we had given her son animal crackers or some equivalent snack because he was allergic to gluten. She examined the package and saw that it was gluten-free. I was of course relieved and contrite at the time, but that seems like the sort of allergy you'd alert childcare staff to. It's not like he was allergic to seafood and we made the kids an impromptu lobster dinner. Gluten is, as you, in everything.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Zombie Protestor » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 pm

jvcc wrote:Gluten is, as you, in everything.

Dusk is in everything. That's either an innuendo to his promiscuity or you know some terrible cannibalistic secret.

"Oh, relax kids. I’ve got a gut feeling Uter’s around here somewhere. After all, isn’t there a little Uter in all of us? In fact, you might even say we just ate Uter, and he’s in our stomachs right now! Wait, scratch that one."
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above