The Poesy Thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

The Poesy Thread

Postby jvcc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:47 am

Silly Sir Philip didn't know how to spell "poetry."

Anyway, we've had threads for almost every other creative medium, so I thought I'd start this up so can discuss noteworthy contemporary poets or those of antiquity whose styles still enthrall us today.

This coincides with an effort a friend of mine and I are making to memorize one poem a week from now until an undetermined time. I'm starting with John Donne's Holy Sonnet X, read wonderfully by Emma Thompson in the film adaptation of the play Wit (also worth reading).

I think that Daljit Nagra is quite good, whom I mentioned briefly in another thread. I've only read Look We Have Coming to Dover!, though. He reads some of his poems online, but I'm not going to link to them because I think you need to read his collection as a whole to get a good sense of it because he uses so many different styles and speakers. That sounds patronizing, but I stand by my decision.

The Vine by Robert Herrick is always a good example of bawdy 17th century poetry. Think the forest scene from The Evil Dead, but more gentle, I suppose.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Re: The Poesy Thread

Postby Skimba » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:03 am

Years ago I memorized The Unicorn in Captivity which is based from The Unicorn Tapestries. I remember most of it, but not all.
I still love Robert Frost's poems and have his collections.
Although part of a book series, I can still recite all poems (rhymes) from The Dark is Rising series of books, even though it's been over 20 years.
Ummm...I have a lot of collections, but haven't really read much recently or stuck to one poet for too long except going back in time with Robert Frost, Emily Dickenson and Walt Whitman.
Good story, sis. :)
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby EsBe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 pm

For a middle school English assignment I memorized and recited the poems at the beginning of the 3 big Calvin & Hobbes collections. That more or less concludes my time spent with poetry.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby jvcc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:32 pm

I have memorized Withnail's Hamlet soliloquy from [i]Withnail & I[/url], though it is not a poem.

I remember that Calvin and Hobbes poem. It must be in one of my many Calvin and Hobbes collections that are littered about my room.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby badplantmommy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:46 am

Maybe it's because of all of the wine I had with dinner, but right now the only poet I can think of is Charles Bukowski. I know there were other poets, and I was an English major (long ago, in another lifetime), so I should know them (yeah, I do remember Frost and Shakespeare, and Emily Dickinson).
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby James » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:39 pm

badplantmommy wrote:Maybe it's because of all of the wine I had with dinner, but right now the only poet I can think of is Charles Bukowski.

I believe Fool by Fog contains the last stanza of a poem of his ('Earthquake').
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:40 pm

I like Bukowski. I haven't actually read any of his work, but a friend of mine made me a CD of him reading his own poetry.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:01 pm

I like that Modest Mouse like him.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby jvcc » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Oh, yes! Or think he's an objectionable person. One of the two. Or both.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Return to None of the Above