Ian Bitches About People Enjoying Something He Hates

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Ian Bitches About People Enjoying Something He Hates

Postby IanC » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:54 pm

You do realise that practically noone outside the USA gives a poopcakes about the Super Bowl, or the stupid commercial heavy "sport" that is American "Football"?
Last edited by PonderThis on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Created this thread by splitting it off from the sports thread. See below for more.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Re: Hey, What About Those [Your Favorite Team]!

Postby Skimba » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:11 pm

IanC wrote:You do realise that practically noone outside the USA gives a poopcakes about the Super Bowl, or the stupid commercial heavy "sport" that is American "Football"?

You do realize you have made the point that you do not care for American Football over, and over, and over, and over, and over again?
This forum isn't exclusive to any country, no.
Don't like the topics on this thread? Then don't read it...or come up with a sports team of your own to talk about. If you have nothing to contribute other than repetitiveness, then please stop.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Re: Hey, What About Those [Your Favorite Team]!

Postby jvcc » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:19 pm

What Skimba said. Also, I'm fairly certain that people recognize that most sports are regionally significant only, just as most teams are only important to their home city or state (with the possible exception of a really good or in any other way particularly exceptional team). Just because someone doesn't qualify a discussion of something they care about with an acknowledgement of its geographic relativity doesn't mean they think that it has or should have universal appeal. Most people know this, but even if they don't they shouldn't take others' enthusiasm for the Superbowl as a personal attack.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Re: Ian Bitches About People Enjoying Something He Hates

Postby PonderThis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Ian, it's a big wide world out there and something like seven billion of us on it. It's pretty much a given that not only will we not all like the same things but there will be things some people like that others do not. And one of these things is American football. Some of us like discussing it while you've made it abundantly clear you can't stand it.

And that's fine as far as it goes. But man you do not need to be dropping steaming turds into the sports thread every time we bring up something you don't like. You know, the music thread often discusses music I'm not into -- does that mean I should drop by every few months to tell everyone that the music they're listening to SUCKS and I hate it and why doesn't everyone listen to what I do? No it does not. I recognize that different people like different music. That's just life, man.

I've separated your comment and the couple of follow up posts into its own thread so you can bitch about stuff you hate and how you hate people enjoying stuff you hate all you want. Just do it here.

Meanwhile I'm going to go discuss the Super Bowl if that's OK with Your Majesty.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:01 pm

That seemed somewhat unnecessary.

Plus I heard off enough people talking about the Superbowl last night to suggest that there are at least quite a few people who had some degree of interest in it.

PonderThis wrote:I've separated your comment and the couple of follow up posts into its own thread

Ooooh. It did seem a strange thread title.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby PonderThis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:21 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:It did seem a strange thread title.

Sorry about that. I added a note to the post to make it clearer I created this thread.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby James » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Why do people feel the need to go out of their way to bother other people about how much they disagree with their tastes? Are they angry that people are different?

Ian, your rabid crusade against American football is tedious, irrational, and displays an intolerance in you that is most unbecoming.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:20 pm

James wrote:Why do people feel the need to go out of their way to bother other people about how much they disagree with their tastes? Are they angry that people are different?

Ian, your rabid crusade against American football is tedious, irrational, and displays an intolerance in you that is most unbecoming.

The phrase 'rabid crusade' brings about so very many hilarious mental images of raving Knights Templar.
MysticalDescent

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:31 pm

IanC wrote:You do realise that practically noone outside the USA gives a poopcakes about the Super Bowl, or the stupid commercial heavy "sport" that is American "Football"?

Just be glad you're not in the United States. At least you have the option of getting away from it if you want.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Well, quite. If people were clogging up all threads with Superbowl talk, that would be one thing, but going into the specifically-labeled sports thread and furiously railing against people discussing a significant sporting event is akin to turning up at a party just to complain about all the fun everyone's having.

(I must confess that I've probably been guilty of similar whining in the past, but these days I do try to save my opinions for people who actually want to hear them.)
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Is everything okay Ian? You've been making some surprisingly frustrated/aggressive posts here recently that do not reflect the tone of the majority of your previous postings.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:57 pm

I vote that we restrict all sports discussion to sports which are popular on both sides of the Atlantic. So, did anyone catch the

uh

golf
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby GregorR » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:00 pm

I would suggest we slightly modify that and talk only about sports which are equally popular on both sides of the atlantic, whether that's high or low popularity.

So who caught the women's curling finals in the latest winter olympics? Surprising!
GregorR
Makes LOLCATS

Postby PonderThis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:11 pm

EvilJekyll wrote:Is everything okay Ian? You've been making some surprisingly frustrated/aggressive posts here recently that do not reflect the tone of the majority of your previous postings.

In case you didn't see it or I wasn't clear in the other thread, I've suspended Ian's account for a few days. It's probably a personal failing on my part but honestly I didn't know what else to do.

God knows I hate nanny-type message boards where they try to keep everything butterflies and rainbows and over-moderate the thing to death. That is not at all the goal here. If anyone wants to bitch about whatever subject you should feel free to do so. Post it to the whine and complain thread or start a whole new thread, it's all good.

But for fork's sake, don't barge into a thread to not only complain about the subject matter but to categorically state that the subject is stupid and anyone who enjoys it is stupid and why do you stupid stupids have to be so stupid? And not just once but over and over and over and over again.

Think of it this way. You walk into your local pub and your friends are discussing some subject you can't stand. You barge in and tell everyone you hate it when they do that. They might accommodate you once. Do it enough and they'll either ask you to leave or find an excuse to leave themselves when you walk in the door. Come on, who wants that?
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm not excusing his behaviour. Looking back on his posts, right around new year, they become very volatile and less about substance and more about acting out in a place where he thinks he'll be heard. This is especially apparent around his breakup and the following month. I'm just concerned about the emotional state of one of our members. Particularly striking was his post about sticking to gender roles when previously advocating equal rights for the LGBT community. If Ian has been having problems I'd like to try to help him out. I'm no psychiatrist, so maybe I'm reading too much into this...
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby fanelian » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:58 pm

I think we're being too hard. Loosing a parent and your significant other in a short period of time is very difficult to go through. It's been almost two years for me and I'm barely starting to feel better. I guess Ian has just chosen to be mad and curse a lot instead of sobbing.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:30 pm

And if none of this is a reason he'll dang sure be pissed we've all said it is in all likelihood... He was able to realize what he was doing last time he was called on it, so you're right that it doesn't seem like this is coming from a place of rational forethought to come right back and do the same thing again 3 weeks later.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby jvcc » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:57 am

I don't know how much anyone, particularly a group of people one knows vaguely through the internet, can help another person who is resistant to change. In either case, I don't mind it if Ian says angry or provoking things as long as no one contests my right to respond in turn. So I'd say that he should be allowed back and that this thread should probably be deleted.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby James » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:52 pm

I guess some of you guys are more perceptive/less forgetful/less emotionally oblivious than me.

Ian, if you're having a rough time, please don't feel like anyone is trying to exclude you. I'm sure you have the sympathy of all of us. Just try not to be so confrontational with people; they don't react to it well.

Unless conflict is what you want, I guess.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:51 pm

Oh, I wish I had noticed this thread before I responded in the other one. I will say I don't think there was need to ban him (but I understand the decision Ponder, so don't take my opinion as a slight on you), unless I'm missing something. As annoying as some of his recent posts have been, they don't really bother me, and if they make him feel better in some small way, I say go for it.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby badplantmommy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:03 am

fanelian wrote:I think we're being too hard. Loosing a parent and your significant other in a short period of time is very difficult to go through. It's been almost two years for me and I'm barely starting to feel better. I guess Ian has just chosen to be mad and curse a lot instead of sobbing.

I agree. I think Ian has been going through a rough patch lately.

I have been around awhile on a couple of other forums, and I have occasionally seen worse, although the moderators did eventually step in when they felt it was necessary.
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby Skimba » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:52 am

badplantmommy wrote: I agree. I think Ian has been going through a rough patch lately.

I don't begrudge grieving, but being an asshat is still being an asshat. That's my opinion. Sorry? Nope.
Now I'm one too.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby EsBe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Skimba wrote:
badplantmommy wrote: I agree. I think Ian has been going through a rough patch lately.

I don't begrudge grieving, but being an asshat is still being an asshat. That's my opinion. Sorry? Nope.
Now I'm one too.

And so the asshattee becomes the asshatter. :deep:
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby PonderThis » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:56 am

OK, so suspension time is over, Ian can respond or ignore the whole thing as he likes. To paraphrase what I wrote in a PM, he can complain about the NFL all he wants, all I ask is that he starts a new thread (or do it in this thread) and doesn't post it in the sports thread.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Low-Tech » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:50 am

Skimba wrote:

Now I'm one too.

I understand that when you're in a bad mood from stress in your personal life, it's easy to blow up on the internet where there's really no immediate harm from saying things that in the "real world" (tm) would get you a quick smack in the face. But, that's no excuse for such behavior. Getting a parking ticket because you forgot to pay the meter vs. decided to deliberately not pay it because you're in a bad mood and don't feel like it will get you the same result and deservedly so. I dislike it when people say offensive/caustic things and then come back later saying they didn't mean it, they were just under stress/drunk/joking. Sorry, like poker, the card laid is what you played.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him eat a salami sandwich.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CIA intra-cranial broadcasts
Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Next

Return to None of the Above