MLP:FiM Personality Test

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

MLP:FiM Personality Test

Postby Nyperold » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Don't like the subject? Well, you can avoid it. Please do so.

Anyway, I've found this Pony Personality Test. It gives you two kinds of results: a chart... uh... you know the kind, where the mane six are at ends of lines radiating from the center, and the more like each pony you are, the farther away from the center each point is, and it makes a six-sided shape. There's even an indication of how close to the average you are.

Here:

This first chart is how I do things in offline life. As seen above, I skew heavily toward Fluttershy, and seem to have given no answers that indicate that I'm anything like Rarity. I'm about half of average like RD, almost average like PP, more than average like TS, and even more than average like AJ.

And here's my results when I answer more like I am online. My Fluttershyness, Pinkie Pieness, and Applejackness didn't seem to change, but I'm a touch more like Rarity, significantly more like TS, and noticeably less like RD than in the last set.

Either way, Fluttershy, so I got this for my banner image:

And this for my full personality description:

Chronically weak and timid, but with a heart of solid gold, you tend to require and depend on the help of your friends in most situations. You enjoy their company, but also enjoy solitude and time away from your friends where you can enjoy the sounds of nature. Just because you know you're weak doesn't mean it holds you back, because you know you're strong where it counts, with your overabundance of kindness, caring, and compassion.

You're often worried about saying or doing the wrong things and also fear rejection. Speaking of fear, you've got a lot of it, often times letting your fear hold you back from doing even the most simple of things, such as jumping across a cliff. But in that fear, you can often find just enough bravery to stand up for doing the right thing if your friends need you.

You may be naive and innocent, and you're very shy and quiet, but you're also a very good listener and are likely the one your friends blab on about their problems to — and while you may feel powerless to help at times, just listening and cheering them on means the world to them. Yay!

(You may gain some amusement from what happens if you choose Scootaloo for one of the answers. I have no idea if other answers yield anything similar, but if anypony wants to experiment, or just runs across something in the course of answering honestly, hey...)

Also, I'd like to suggest something if it's not too much trouble: if you get the same banner as someone else, try to resist the urge to post that picture unless it's a revised version. Otherwise, we already know what it looks like, and don't need to be loading the exact same thing from several sources. The charts are probably going to be unique, so that's fine.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Re: MLP:FiM Personality Test

Postby Low-Tech » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:56 pm

That's not just a minor skew either, that's a sharp object that could put someone's cute little eye out... :D
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him eat a salami sandwich.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CIA intra-cranial broadcasts
Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby EsBe » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Nyperold wrote:you know the kind, where the mane six are at ends

You nearly slipped this one by me. Is dropping puns a foal time job of yours?
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:31 pm

For me the answer is:

Everypony! (Except Rainbow Dash, for whatever reason). Apparently I'm most like Pinkie Pie, if only slightly. I was hoping for Rarity (she came in second), but, eh, I'll take that.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:15 am

So yeah, I wouldn't really consider myself part of the fandom, but I've seen maybe a handful of episodes, mostly the early stuff, and find it fairly entertaining. I know just enough about the characters for this to seem like it might be fun, so...

PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby GregorR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:18 am

Some kind of amalgam of Rainbow, Pinkie ... and Rarity??? Uhh, OK. I guess I can believe that.
GregorR
Makes LOLCATS

Postby GregorR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:07 am

EsBe wrote:
Nyperold wrote:you know the kind, where the mane six are at ends

You nearly slipped this one by me. Is dropping puns a foal time job of yours?

"Mane six" is standard MLP:FiM fanonese, btw.
GregorR
Makes LOLCATS

Postby Android Replica » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:22 am

I didn't look at the banner thing. Didn't know there was one. Looks like I got the one Nyperold wanted.
Last edited by Android Replica on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Android Replica
WON THE LOTTERY

Postby EsBe » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:54 am

GregorR wrote:"Mane six" is standard MLP:FiM fanonese, btw.

Well that's pretty boring. I spent 20 minutes on Wikipedia jotting down horse nomenclature for nothing? :|
EsBe

Postby IanC » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:37 pm

you guys are decking nuts.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Low-Tech » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:00 pm

EsBe wrote:
GregorR wrote:"Mane six" is standard MLP:FiM fanonese, btw.

Well that's pretty boring. I spent 20 minutes on Wikipedia jotting down horse nomenclature for nothing? :|

Nah, it wasn't for nothing, just keep those "Wither-ing Heights" and "put out to pastern" puns you were thinking of in your back pocket for use later

I didn't post mine because it was a virtual copy of Nype's, with less of an emphasis on Fluttershy, (but that's still who I am mostly)

Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:06 pm

GregorR wrote:Some kind of amalgam of Rainbow, Pinkie ... and Rarity??? Uhh, OK. I guess I can believe that.

It's the hats, I think. :P

(Also: Anyone brushing up on their horse puns is just preparing for the show in general, so don't worry, EsBe. ;) )

(("Put out to pastern"? But "put out to pasture" is already a horse-related phrase... did Xzibit come up with that pun?))
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:11 pm

IanC wrote:you guys are decking nuts.

We are, but enjoying a program intended for a young female audience probably has little to do with it.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Low-Tech » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
GregorR wrote:Some kind of amalgam of Rainbow, Pinkie ... and Rarity??? Uhh, OK. I guess I can believe that.

It's the hats, I think. :P

(Also: Anyone brushing up on their horse puns is just preparing for the show in general, so don't worry, EsBe. ;) )

(("Put out to pastern"? But "put out to pasture" is already a horse-related phrase... did Xzibit come up with that pun?))

It's a double-pun, they hurt twice as much!

Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby GregorR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Yeah, horse puns are vital. But kind of odd since most horse terminology comes from animal husbandry, and so shouldn't really be relevant to sapient ponies ... why do they even know what bridles and bits are, anyway? Pony slavery? Were earth ponies enslaved by unicorns?

probably

A friend of mine points out that the fact that they know what saddles are is even stranger, since ponies can't actually ride saddles ...
GregorR
Makes LOLCATS

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:48 pm

Could somebody explain to me where all of this actually comes from? I don't mean for this post to be a criticism in any way, just a genuine enquiry. I haven't seen this take off amongst people I know from this country at all.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby GregorR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:06 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:Could somebody explain to me where all of this actually comes from? I don't mean for this post to be a criticism in any way, just a genuine enquiry. I haven't seen this take off amongst people I know from this country at all.

It started amongst the kind of people (like myself) who just genuinely like "children's" cartoons as an art form, and happened to discover that the new entry in the MLP franchise was not only not as abysmally bad as the others, but surprisingly good. See also /co/ (and then spillover into /b/). Probably it mostly took off in the US 'cuz, y'know, it aired here first.

(Brief plug for Rocky and Bullwinkle goes here. Seriously, one of the greatest television programs of all time, regardless of genre)

They get a few of their friends and their friends probably thought "wtf this is weird" and then watched an episode or so and found themselves hooked. After the ball started rolling it's not actually that surprising that it went so far, the sheer discord (hyuk) between "show in the My Little Pony franchise" and "hilariously funny, well-made with incredible attention to detail and production value, and both accessible and entertaining to all audiences" is strong enough to draw people in based on the sheer absurdity of it.

Here's the simple conclusion: Watch an episode. It almost doesn't matter which, very few aren't good enough. No matter how dour a person you are, no matter what's going on in your life, no matter how offended you are by the notion of pretty pink ponies singing about how they love to make their friends smile, you will smile. It is impossible not to. It's hit a perfect balance of endearing and comical, without becoming untenably schmaltzy or cheesy (somehow), and without alienating either its original audience or its unexpected new one, ever.

If I had a daughter, I would want her to watch it, because it actually does feminism right: It doesn't present absurd powerful women "role models", it's just so entirely devoid of the notion of gender roles that it actually teaches the right lesson. And that's also part of why it's so accessible to men. It's colorful, it has a lot of pink and rainbows (well, that's literally all colors in existence, so I guess that's the definition of "colorful"), it has singing and laughter and la-dee-da-frou-frou-et-cetera, but none of that ends up mattering.

I guess I went off on a tangent there :)
GregorR
Makes LOLCATS

Postby Skimba » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:45 am

I don't actually know anything about the characters and things.
Although this is rather remarkably almost completely true:
"While you tend to be booksmart as opposed to streetsmart, you also tend to be a tad socially awkward, not always sure how well you fit in with your friends or maybe not even having a lot of them in the first place, but you're still a solid friend when it comes down to it and would be there to help any of them with their problems."
I do know I am also streetsmart. I'm not sure how being streetsmart equates to not being socially awkward here. *shrug*
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby Low-Tech » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:50 am

GregorR wrote:
If I had a daughter, I would want her to watch it, because it actually does feminism right: It doesn't present absurd powerful women "role models", it's just so entirely devoid of the notion of gender roles that it actually teaches the right lesson. And that's also part of why it's so accessible to men.

This is pretty much it, it's a well done cartoon, on every metric that a cartoon should be judged objectively, namely story, design, animation, voice acting, pacing, etc. It passes every test. And that includes the "too cute to be taken seriously" or "too heavy-handed with morals" tests, which it also passes (or passes by failing to do so).

That's why I like it, I like animation, I like cartoons, and there's no reason not to like this one. I agree that topically it looks "girly" but if you WATCH it you'll find it doesn't play that way. And despite the fact the main cast is 100% female, I find myself losing track of that fact because except for one stereotypically "girly" character that's into fashion, (and her backstory justifies and REQUIRES it as she's a designer) the usual "girl" stereotypes are absent. The characters have hobbies, lives and flaws independent of gender for the most part.

In fact, owing to her color scheme, tomboy personality and voice, I keep forgetting Rainbow Dash is a girl until circumstances conspire to put her in a dress... or you notice the "female" eyelashes....

More broadly as to why it has such appeal, I think a lot of people are just hungry for good animation these days that shows us the simple joy of telling a story,
too much of animation in the last 15 years has moved to "adult" tastes which tend to be crude, over-sexualized, rude and cynical, while anything that didn't try to be social commentary or frat boy humor was instantly dismissed as "kiddie". I think the popularity of MLP is as much a rebellion against that as it is attraction to what is a VERY good cartoon that we haven't had for a LONG time.

Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby GregorR » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Low-Tech wrote:the main cast is 100% female

Low-Tech wrote:except for one stereotypically "girly" character that's into fashion, (and her backstory justifies and REQUIRES it as she's a designer)

I would go one further than that: having a character like her is just as vital to the feminist statement as having characters like Rainbow Dash. Vilifying or excluding traditionally female characters entirely is just as bad as cobbling a show entirely from them. If you, young female viewer, want to be into fashion and play dress-up and be fab-u-lous in a traditionally female sense, that is absolutely fine; you don't have to, but you don't have to not, you can be whoever you want to be. She's not that way because she's a female character, the rest of the cast makes that clear, she's not that way because it's a gender role, as all the Raritycentric episodes have their fair share of male fashionistas (fashionistos?) too. They do an excellent job of not promoting either extreme as superior, and of not having any character be exclusively at the extremes.
GregorR
Makes LOLCATS

Postby jvcc » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:22 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:Could somebody explain to me where all of this actually comes from? I don't mean for this post to be a criticism in any way, just a genuine enquiry. I haven't seen this take off amongst people I know from this country at all.

Just for the sake of talking, I'll add that I never watched this show as a kid. I don't even remember it being on. If it had been I probably would have considered it as being akin to Care Bears, which was bright and cheerful and full of colors, and therefore I despised it. I don't watch many cartoons now, but I don't begrudge others their right to do so. That's a non-contentious stance and I'm sticking to it.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Oh well.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby EsBe » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm not going to redo the quiz, but I got a chart shaped like a narrow compas needle pointing straight up and down.
EsBe

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:01 pm

jvcc wrote:Just for the sake of talking, I'll add that I never watched this show as a kid. I don't even remember it being on.

If I remember your age correctly, it just about wasn't on when you were a kid - the last of the "classic" My Little Pony shows was Tales in 1992, and there weren't any more until the 2000s (There were some toys made in between those times, just not animation).

(Note: I don't have "classic" in quotation marks as sarcasm - far from it, I actually quite like much of the older shows, especially Tales. :) )
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Low-Tech » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 am

GregorR wrote:
all the Raritycentric episodes have their fair share of male fashionistas (fashionistos?) too. .

And, as an example of why I appreciate the show's humor and how it's not intended ONLY for girls to enjoy, one of them is CLEARLY a pony version of Karl Lagerfeld.... hand fan and all, you can't tell me with a straight face that an 8 year old of EITHER gender would get that.

That leads me to another nice subtlety of the show. Despite fashion being her natural talent, they always depict Rarity as having to work at it to get results. It would be easy to get lazy and, as an established magical creature, have her just "poof" stuff into existence. But they actually went to the trouble of animating her making measurements, cutting fabric and working a sewing machine, I always thought that was a nice touch.

Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Next

Return to None of the Above