The Board Game Thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

The Board Game Thread

Postby ntw3001 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Who here board games? I do. I like Dominion, Talisman, Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Power Grid, Flash Duel, Yomi... and others! Further discussion can be made if required. The best thing about board games is the opportunity for trash-talking.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Re: The Board Game Thread

Postby ntw3001 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Oh I say as it turns out you can play Yomi and Puzzle Strike online! For free! I just learned to play Puzzle Strike and it is basically the same as Dominion.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Settlers of Catan

You have no idea how many hours of entertainment my acquaintances and I have derived from trying to barter for wood in that game. Working in sheep can be funny as well.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EsBe » Tue May 22, 2012 7:35 pm

All my friends are too cool for board games. :|
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby GregorR » Tue May 22, 2012 9:56 pm

This isn't a board game per se, buuuuut, http://codu.org/wiki/Hydra
GregorR
Makes LOLCATS

Postby chrismachine » Wed May 23, 2012 8:11 pm

I love catan and carassonne. Other personal favourites are blokus, Apples to Apples, Things in a box, Wizard (card game), Pirate's Gold (card-based game), and Touring England.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed May 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Anybody else enjoying Tabletop? :)
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EsBe » Wed May 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Wait, Apples to Apples is a board game? Is it one of those games which include pointless boards that have no impact on the game, save to end it early? I usually either toss them or set them aside to use as a hard writing surface on the couch.
EsBe

Postby ntw3001 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Alright alright we will extend the definition to include card games. Done!

Speaking of Apples to Apples, I've played Cards Against Humanity a couple of times. It's basically the same game, except instead of matching nouns to verbs the players fill blanks in sentences with the funniest cards from their hand. In practice, it's ehhhh. The 'funny' cards are awfully forcedand don't really lend themselves to creating anything besides nonsense. Still, it's okay to kill some time in a large group of people.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Wed May 23, 2012 10:18 pm

Yeah I guess my mind equates board games to games where all players sit around a table and interact with a game that is designed to be played a certain way (as in not just a deck of normal playing cards) and each other.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby IanC » Thu May 24, 2012 4:31 pm

How about tabletop war-games then, hmmmm?
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:22 pm

I used to play 40k, but I haven't done that in a while (it costs a dreadful lot, and I ended up not finding it that entertaining. Gonna sell my Eldar when I get back to the UK). It's a shame Games Workshop ditched their smaller-scale games, because those were the best ones. Blood Bowl, Mordheim and, king of awesomeness-despite-brokenness, Necromunda. I reworked the latter to make it work better and it turned out pretty good. The preexisting issues were still there, but nowhere near as game-breaking. I was pleased with the way it all worked out. But, well, I guess there's nothing about Necromunda that GW want to push any more. It's cyberpunk, it doesn't have Space Marines (or aliens), and players only need ten to fifteen models in total. GW's business strategy seems to have made them a lot of money, but they sure do seem to harbour a passionate hatred for their customers.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Nyperold » Mon May 28, 2012 11:25 am

I guess the most frequent actual board game I play is chess, and even that...

Extending the card games, it's been a while since I've had a good Apples to Apples session.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Low-Tech » Mon May 28, 2012 5:34 pm

My brother and I used to get into some pretty heated rounds of Monopoly back in the day

He'd inevitably start crushing me under the weight of his empire, and just to rub the point home, he'd start taking wads of his cash and giving it BACK to the BANK declaring it "charity" while I was limping around the board trying, and failing, to avoid North Carolina Avenue with barely $50 to my name
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him eat a salami sandwich.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CIA intra-cranial broadcasts
Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Skimba » Wed May 30, 2012 10:44 am

I like a lot of board games.
*runs away again*
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby badplantmommy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:56 am

I haven't really played any board games in a long time. The closest I've come to them would be Pictionary (I'm pretty good at it because I like to draw) and Jenga.

I find card games rather boring (except for the computer solitaire ones that I can waste hours on); I went to a New Year's Eve party once where everybody was playing card games, and I spent the evening playing with the hosts' sons' Legos--they even had the pirate ship! :)
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby Zombie Protestor » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:59 pm

I'm pretty good with chess, and one board game most people don't want to play a second time with me is Scrabble.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor

Postby EsBe » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Extreeeeeeme necro!

Some coworkers and I set up a game night on Fridays, and I'm off to check out a game store this weekend to see what we might like to group buy. Other than what's already mentioned, any suggestions?

Probably going to lean heavily towards Catan and Ticket to Ride anyway, but I'm always open to alternatives.
EsBe

Postby PonderThis » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:28 am

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby jvcc » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:43 am

Have I mentioned Small World yet? You should play Small World. It's basically Risk meets the fantasy genre, but more so.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby mulpis » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:17 pm

My friend and I play games all the time, but we prefer games that lend themselves to incessant chatting, not just between rounds, but during play. We played Backgammon for years, recently started dabbling in other stuff. Sequence is fun. I like Pentago, but she hates it so I have nobody to play with. Lately we've been playing Cribbage. It sounds quite twee, but make it a drinking game, and it's a whole different experience. Ha!
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Pandemic is a good one. It's co-operative! Dominion is also good, but I imagine I've probably mentioned it in this thread. Carcassonne also falls into this category.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby EsBe » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Ah yes, I walked out of the board game store with Pandemic on my List of Games to Present to the Group. I did not mention Dominion simply because folks already play that online (by which I mean, online via terminals in a computer lab, right next to each other, so it's still face to face). I also walked out of the store with Betrayal at House on the Hill, on the recommendation of a friend. Also it looked really amenable to, for lack of a better word, modding. We'll see what the group decides upon this Friday, though.
EsBe

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Ehh, if they're down with Dominion try them with Puzzle Strike. They'll know the deckbuilding and action-taking part, which should make it easy enough to pick up. They can try it out online (I swear I am not being paid to advertise Puzzle Strike in this thread).
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Skimba » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:13 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Ehh, if they're down with Dominion try them with Puzzle Strike. They'll know the deckbuilding and action-taking part, which should make it easy enough to pick up. They can try it out online (I swear I am not being paid to advertise Puzzle Strike in this thread).

But you may be paid to advertise it in another thread. *dubious look*
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Return to None of the Above