Drawing tablets!

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Drawing tablets!

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Sat May 26, 2012 2:00 pm

I happen to have some extra money lying around and a desire (perhaps misguided, yall've seen my drawings so I'm sure you know what I mean :P ) to get a drawing tablet. Of course, this being my first go with them, I figured to get some advice from those more likely to be familiar with them; I'm wondering would be the best and/or most economical for me to get for my budget of anywhere under about $300 (though I certainly would prefer if I can get something good that's in the lower $200s or less, of course). Don't worry too much about ease of use; I'm usually fairly good at picking up on new things (though not perfect, so nothing that's impossible for someone new to reasonably use ;) ).
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Re: Drawing tablets!

Postby Null » Sat May 26, 2012 6:11 pm

You can't really go wrong with anything by Wacom. I use a "Bamboo" that has a 7 x 9 drawing area, it goes for about $200 in places like Best Buy. They have other models that have a slight texture to the drawing area, so it's more like using paper than the smooth surface of other models.

Intuit makes some tablets, but they tend to be more expensive and I don't know what advantages they might have.

If you want a computer-like tablet, well there's the iPad and other brands. You can get Adobe Photoshop for the tablet for 10 (ten) dollars. I use an Android one myself, but I haven't done any drawing with it.
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby EvilJekyll » Sat May 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Go ebay/amazon for quality on cheap. You might find some on craigslist as well?
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EsBe » Sun May 27, 2012 9:41 am

My Intuos3 hasn't done me wrong yet. The older models (they're up to 5 now) are all marked down but just as good as the latest ones.

edit: also
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Null » Sun May 27, 2012 1:21 pm

There is also this. Plus if you search for "Wacom" there are hits under the BLURT thread and a couple of others.
Null

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Sun May 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Null wrote:You can't really go wrong with anything by Wacom. I use a "Bamboo" that has a 7 x 9 drawing area, it goes for about $200 in places like Best Buy. They have other models that have a slight texture to the drawing area, so it's more like using paper than the smooth surface of other models.

Haha, I'll probably be a bit more messed up by that at first, simply because I'd be expecting it to feel different because it's not actually pen and paper. :P But I eventually went with the Bamboo Create for $170. We'll see how it goes once I get it. ;)
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Null » Sun May 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Well...according to the page at Amazon...

"Large, textured work surface provides a pen-on-paper feel."

Is that what you wanted, or am I reading your message wrong?
Null

Postby ntw3001 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:50 pm

I have a Wacom Bamboo (which is currently getting shamefully little use because I am a worthless procrastinator and can never ever finish any project). I have found it to be good! I'm sure I only paid £50 for it on Amazon.

And Null it has been a while and it is a welcome return do stay!
ntw3001
Group Captain

Return to None of the Above