Song Parodies

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Song Parodies

Postby Nyperold » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:32 pm

(Don't know if this should be in WTA, but if so...)

Do you write song parodies? I do. The urge strikes me frequently, and while it doesn't always bear fruit (I can't make myself do "It's Getting Bombed In Here (So Take Off Every 'Zig')" for some reason), I do manage to make one on occasion.

Okay, so someone in a chat I frequent misheard a Beach Boys lyric thanks to math, so after doing some research (learning the song lyrics and the mathematical subject), this is what I came up with:

(to "Catch a Wave")

Don't be afraid to try the greatest math around
The adjacent side is over
The hypotenuse, just put it down
It's a ratio, you see, to know it pays
And baby that's all there is to the cosine craze
You gotta catch a wave and you're sittin' on top of the world

So, if you've made parodies of your own (or just want to react to existing ones), this is a good thread for them.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Re: Song Parodies

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:59 am

I haven't actually written anything for it, but I have this idea in the back of my mind for a parody of Adele's "Skyfall" called "Skymall". This is because someone was talking about seeing a globe that opened up to reveal a bar that they saw in the catalog you get in airplanes, and I was momentarily confused and thought I'd missed that scene in the James Bond movie.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:49 pm

I try the apple pie and I choke
Try to walk away from the crumble
Though I try to hide it, it's clear
There's no bubbles in the root beer
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby sum yun gai » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 am

i wouldn't count it as a parody, per se, but i often like to switch all of the "you"s in songs with "I" or "me". for example:

oh well i tell me something
i think i'd understand
when i say that something
i wanna hold my hand
oh let me hold my hand
i wanna hold my hand

and when i touch me
i feel happy inside
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:40 am

Oh, I just remembered the one full parody I have written. See, my cover band was going to play a Christmas show (that was later cancelled), but the one seasonally appropriate song we were going to cover ("Father Christmas" by The Kinks) proved too hard to learn quickly, so we started joking around about just taking something we already knew and making it Christmassy in the most ham-handed way possible. I got inspired and quickly turned Camper Van Beethoven's "Take The Skinheads Bowling" into "Take The Reindeer Bowling". It's incredibly easy to parody a song when the original doesn't have much of a meter or rhyme scheme to have to stick to:

Everyday I get up and pray to Claus
And he increases the number of gifts by exactly one
Everybody's going home for the holidays
Last night there were reindeer on my roof

Take the reindeer bowling, take them bowling

Some people say that reindeer help pull Santa's sleigh (pull his sleigh, pull his sleigh)
Some people say that reindeer all look the same (look the same, look the same)
There's not a rhyme that goes here that rhymes with anything
Had a dream last night, but I forget what it 'twas (what it 'twas, what it 'twas)

Had a dream last night about Yule, my friend
I had a dream, I wanted sleep next to fruitcake
I had a dream I wanted to trim your tree
I had a dream, it was about nothing

PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Skimba » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:24 am

My very first boyfriend used to wtite letters to me with song parody's in them. I have, somewhere, what I consider the original lyrics to "Welcome to McDonalds" from the late 80's.
I also changed lyrics to songs we were singing in high school choir, and was wonderfully reprimanded for it. Uh...that's all I have at 7:20 AM.

Updated because I forgot how old I am.
Last edited by Skimba on Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Oh, not to dominate this thread, but I forgot about the time I recorded a parody version of a song by a local band I enjoy, just because I had promised/threatened to do so when they announced they were putting up instrumental tracks for their songs: the original version was "Every Time I Visit You, It Rains", and my zombie-themed parody was "Every Time I Visit You, It's 'Brains!'".
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Return to None of the Above