BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Re: BLURT thread

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:28 pm

I swear this exchange actually happened today:

My grandad (to my brother): "That's not real food though, when are you going to cook some real food?"
My brother: "Well it was hardly imaginary food, was it?"
Me: "Yeah, I'll have the root minus 1 steak"
Brother: "Don't you mean the rib-i?"

To my knowledge, it's the best pun of all time.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:26 pm

I gotta admit that was pretty awesome.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:07 pm

I've never drunk time, so I don't know.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Hey, does anyone have any advice on how to tutor Chinese children in English? A mother of one of the girls at my work is anxious about her daughter learning the language, and apparently the girl is somewhat resistant to it. So I've had two tutoring sessions with her, the first with two of her other Chinese friends and we looked through a book about the world. I suggested that we look up China first, and they were thankfully pretty excited about that, despite the fact that they don't want to do the sessions at all. The latest session I tutored the girl and one of her friends, and I used a free online children's library which had a story in both English and Chinese. I had them read a page in Chinese, then the same page in English. All the girls are about nine or ten years old, I think. Possibly a bit younger. They can read the words out loud well, but they won't actually tell me if they don't understand any of the words (I think they're too embarrassed). I'm heading off to Barnes & Noble today to see if they might have anything useful, but all advise is appreciated.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Unfortunately my advice is not directly relevant since I teach French to students who speak English, and I myself speak both languages so I know what they mean when they can't find a word in French, but I do know that the way we learn a new language the most effectively at a young age is to directly connect the new word with its corresponding concept, like the word chair with the actual piece of furniture and not their word for it. That's because our brain works better if it thinks of the concept then the word, rather than the concept, the native word and then the translation. This stops being feasible after a certain age, but usually those under 12 will do fine with enough immersion. We have a Czech girl at our school who arrived here 4 years ago in grade 5 and you would never know she didn't speak a word of English when she arrived. One of my best friends' wife arrived from Serbia at 13 with no English and I wasn't even able to tell for the first month or so that I knew her that this was the case.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:16 pm

so... never tried martinis before and decided i wanted to make my own tonight. so far i've made a regular martini and a dirty martini. and i have to say that the dirty martini is not so bad as it sounds.

also.... drunk! woo!!! Image
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:52 am

Good for you. I prefer my martini's extra dirty.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 am

Never been a martini person myself. I appreciate a good vodka tonic, particularly when the citrus involved has a good strong bitter flavor. I have also semi-recently discovered the joy of rye and ginger ale. Mmmmm. 8)

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Over winter break I had Captain Morgan mixed with Coke Zero. I didn't really like it, but I was drinking less for fun and more because my car had been hit while parked by a hit and run driver.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:26 pm

How badly hit?

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Undriveable, but it's all fixed now. The person smashed into the front left side, denting the bumper, crunching metal into the wheel, and making it so that I couldn't open the door. They then somehow reversed and hit the back left side of my car as well, leaving a big dent. Because I have limited coverage, the insurance wouldn't pay for it unless I found the hit and run driver. :roll:

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:05 pm

Are you sure it wasn't your neighbor?
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:32 pm

This was at my home apartment, where I have many, many neighbors. Besides, my car was parked on the street

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:09 am

Thundersleet
Thundersleet
Coming down
In a sheet

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:48 am

PonderThis wrote:Thundersleet
Thundersleet
Coming down
In a sheet

Got up yesterday, looked outside, looked fine. Left 1/2 hr later to be smacked in the face with freezing rain, which turned to snow, but still froze a whole side of my car. Not too much snow, but we are in the "BIG CHILL" as all the news stations are calling it.
Work is having a late opening, so I took advantage and took a shower leisurely and am now working at home and waiting to go in or get the word that the office is closed.
"We're going to be lucky to get in some places to 0 today." -Channel 2 News
There is a layer of ice on the inside of all my windows. It's not that bad out, just really cold. I'm glad that I still have heat inside.
Hellloooo blurt/rant!
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:26 am

I just found out that my university has the largest Greek system in the world by membership. No wonder I hate most of the other students.

Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:04 am

jvcc wrote:I just found out that my university has the largest Greek system in the world by membership. No wonder I hate most of the other students.

LOL...I understand.

Blurt:
Why is packaged Ramen sooo good when you're hungover? nomouchhotnomnomnom

Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:11 am

Blurt 2: I don't want to work today. I want to go back to bed for two hours then get up and play online games.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Skimba wrote:
jvcc wrote:I just found out that my university has the largest Greek system in the world by membership. No wonder I hate most of the other students.

LOL...I understand.

I don't...
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:21 pm

I think she means her uni is full of Kappa Phi Deltas or something, like one of those films. The ones in which the frat boys are causing trouble and the not-frat boys go on a road trip, or maybe I'm mixing and matching. It's all of a similar theme.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:15 pm

Yes, it's essentially like a movie about frat boys. My friend was driving around campus once and said she saw two frat guys carrying a keg while a sorority girl was working out on the lawn. They're working really hard to fulfill their stereotypes.

I was also once walking on a street lined with frat houses, and a frat guy yelled at a passing man, "Nice bike, fag." It was so mind-boggling. Do frat guys think that there's something inherently effeminate or homosexual about bikes? I was so confused.

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:52 pm

jvcc wrote:I was also once walking on a street lined with frat houses, and a frat guy yelled at a passing man, "Nice bike, fag." It was so mind-boggling. Do frat guys think that there's something inherently effeminate or homosexual about bikes? I was so confused.
I've actually had something similar yelled at me, while riding a bike. Granted, it was dark, so it was probably difficult to tell I wasn't a guy, but why they thought I was homosexual just because I was riding a bike, or why that would even matter was beyond me. I just really don't see what the purpose of shouting that was. Can someone enlighten me?
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:54 am

There are all sorts of irrelevant things people take for indicators of homosexuality, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that riding a bike is considered one. There may be a line of thought behind it, I don't know.

Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:18 am

Their insecurity with themselves is probably a place to start.
But no, I have no idea where something like that would come from.
Then again, I don't understand shouting anything at random strangers for no reason.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Maybe they're preparing for a future spent largely in a deckchair in their front garden/porch shouting abuse at anybody who passes by.

Return to “None of the Above”