BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
User avatar
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:57 am
Location: Fort Mitchell, KY, USA
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Lady Gaga's new song keeps hilariously confusing me, especially the Facebook and Twitter posts. :? I'M EVERYWHERE.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

User avatar
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:24 am
Location: Mexico. The place where the white boys dance
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby fanelian » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:22 pm

I don't know what song you're talking about so my reader experience is incomplete :S But I don't want to know, do I?
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

User avatar
Skimba
Impresses the Females
Posts: 7547
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:29 am
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby Skimba » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 pm

fanelian wrote:I don't know what song you're talking about so my reader experience is incomplete :S But I don't want to know, do I?

I know I didn't, but the "news" told me about it this morning. :roll:
Image
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

User avatar
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 10962
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:11 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby giantsfan97 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:19 pm

fanelian wrote:Psh. 3 Hours is nothing! You set out at 6 am get there at 9 AM have a nice breakfast spend the day, set out to go back at 4 if you don't like driving when it's dark, and by 7 you'll be home :D

That's way more effort than it's worth to hang out with me.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

User avatar
Saltine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 5273
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:24 am
Location: Cambridge, MA, US
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby Saltine » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:01 am

Maybe you could... sweeten the deal for her, so to speak, eh? If you know what I mean? (PM me if you don't know what I mean it's about time someone has had "the talk" with you)
--Saltine

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:22 am

It would have to be pretty good sex to get me to wake up at 6 am.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
ntw3001
Group Captain
Posts: 6582
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Essex

Re: BLURT thread

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:29 am

Sex AM.

User avatar
ntw3001
Group Captain
Posts: 6582
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Essex

Re: BLURT thread

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:30 am

Sex AM.

Essex AM

Essex FM

It used to be called Essex FM, but now it's called Heart SX. 102.6/96.3 Essex FM. I remember that advert.

User avatar
ntw3001
Group Captain
Posts: 6582
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Essex

Re: BLURT thread

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:31 am

What? Why is that other post there? Why can I delete one, but not the other? Whatever.

User avatar
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:24 am
Location: Mexico. The place where the white boys dance
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby fanelian » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:29 pm

IWANNAGOHOMENOWPLISTHANKS

lalalalalalalala
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

User avatar
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 10962
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:11 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby giantsfan97 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:21 pm

jvcc wrote:It would have to be pretty good sex to get me to wake up at 6 am.

Most girls wake up when I start having sex with them.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

User avatar
Skimba
Impresses the Females
Posts: 7547
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:29 am
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby Skimba » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:54 am

teeheehee @ Gif.
Also, I'm out of town for work and the internets cost $ here at the hotel and I had to check in online, so I paid $1.95 for 2 hours. I didn't think that was too bad. Now I've gone through all the new posts and I'm not sure what to do with my remaining 1.45 hrs.
Image
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

User avatar
chrismachine
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6148
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:24 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby chrismachine » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:01 am

Porn. Cheaper than through the tv...
Image
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:30 pm

Is it right that I find the word "exotic" to be dubious? We took the kids at my work on a field trip to a planetarium where they learned about constellations, and two pre-recorded voices discussed the star "Betelgeuse". One of them comically (and I use the word "comically" quite wrongly) mispronounced it as "Beetlejuice", and the other responded, "No, no, Betelgeuse. It's an Arabic word. Isn't that exotic." I absolutely cringed, because we had among our party kids for whom Arabic is not so "exotic".

But my point is, even if we hadn't, I tend to think of "exotic" as being along the same lines as "savage", in that it's a vague term that Westerners associate with all things foreign. Neither word is inherently offensive, like a racial epitaph, but through common usage they have become so. I know that some people dislike political correctness, but I much prefer it to willfully or unknowingly using language to offend.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
Skimba
Impresses the Females
Posts: 7547
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:29 am
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby Skimba » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:13 am

jvcc wrote:But my point is, even if we hadn't, I tend to think of "exotic" as being along the same lines as "savage", in that it's a vague term that Westerners associate with all things foreign.

Maybe that's how it started, I do not know, but I don't think it's meant to be used in any offensive way. I've also heard it used by people from other countries to describe people and places. I'm a pale white girl with red hair and was called "exotic" by some locals in the Bahamas.
Image
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:24 am

Skimba wrote:
jvcc wrote:But my point is, even if we hadn't, I tend to think of "exotic" as being along the same lines as "savage", in that it's a vague term that Westerners associate with all things foreign.

Maybe that's how it started, I do not know, but I don't think it's meant to be used in any offensive way. I've also heard it used by people from other countries to describe people and places. I'm a pale white girl with red hair and was called "exotic" by some locals in the Bahamas.

Yeah, I don't think it's universally offensive, but if the situation were reversed and you were calling the people in the Bahamas "exotic", I'm suggesting that, if not offensive, it would have least be suspect. Similarly, there are perfectly innocent terms that when used on a redhead of Irish or Welsh descent were once racially motivated, although I think that they carry less weight now, like "fiery" or suggesting they have a bad temper. I know a lot of redheads embrace that stereotype, but I was rereading "The Musgrave Ritual" recently and Doyle suggested that a maid was capable of murder merely by virtue of being Welsh and therefore having uncontrollable passions.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
PonderThis
Site Admin
Posts: 11928
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby PonderThis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:48 pm

mmmmm afternoon coffee

User avatar
fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:24 am
Location: Mexico. The place where the white boys dance
Contact:

Re: BLURT thread

Postby fanelian » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:37 pm

After hours of feeling bad at myself for ridiculing my friends' genuine excitement about scientists being able to tell the original color of a Fossilized Dinosaur feather, I still have the urge to ask: What good is that? Can they infer something by the color change? I am intrigued as to why, other than satisfying personal curiosity would someone spend time, money and energy on finding out what color those creatures were. Does it really serve some purpose other than making illustrations look cooler now?

My friend completely missed the point, though, and stormed out of the cafeteria, calling us ignorants after trying to give us a speech on humankind's need to know their origins to better build their future (and being interrupted by another friend asking "But... what does the color have to do with it all?).
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

User avatar
James
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 14912
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Surbiton, England

Re: BLURT thread

Postby James » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:19 pm

jvcc wrote:Is it right that I find the word "exotic" to be dubious? We took the kids at my work on a field trip to a planetarium where they learned about constellations, and two pre-recorded voices discussed the star "Betelgeuse". One of them comically (and I use the word "comically" quite wrongly) mispronounced it as "Beetlejuice", and the other responded, "No, no, Betelgeuse. It's an Arabic word. Isn't that exotic." I absolutely cringed, because we had among our party kids for whom Arabic is not so "exotic".

I'm rather uncomfortable with my local supermarket having an "ethnic foods" aisle. It's perfectly descriptive, of course, but it seems a bit . . . "watch out for those ethnics, though I do like a good curry" sort of thing. That's probably political correctness running wild in my brain, though.

jvcc wrote:racial epitaph

I think you mean epithet.

Skimba wrote:Maybe that's how it started, I do not know, but I don't think it's meant to be used in any offensive way. I've also heard it used by people from other countries to describe people and places. I'm a pale white girl with red hair and was called "exotic" by some locals in the Bahamas.

I don't think intent is a necessary condition for inappropriateness. A lot of insensitivity takes the form of patronization, which can be demeaning, and can reflect inaccurate or undesirable assumptions. That said, I think it depends an awful lot on context, and I don't have a huge problem with the word "exotic" in most instances.



fanelian wrote:After hours of feeling bad at myself for ridiculing my friends' genuine excitement about scientists being able to tell the original color of a Fossilized Dinosaur feather, I still have the urge to ask: What good is that? Can they infer something by the color change? I am intrigued as to why, other than satisfying personal curiosity would someone spend time, money and energy on finding out what color those creatures were. Does it really serve some purpose other than making illustrations look cooler now?

I don't know, I think curiosity is a part of human nature, and you can't really restrict it to what's immediately useful. Granted, these studies are expensive, but presumably they're funded by interested parties, and it's basically impossible to say what will lead indirectly to a practical application. Besides, we're all concerned with so much more than pure utility. The money and effort spent on producing all the world's art could certainly be spent on more practical and productive things, but most of us would agree that in some sense the world would be a poorer place for it. While there may be no practical value in knowing the colour of the feathers of a long-extinct creature, it's another thread in the infinitely complex and varied tapestry of collective human knowledge. The past is a different world, much of which will be closed off to us forever, so I think it's pretty special when we can reach back and touch something. Perhaps that's sentimentality on my part.

Anyway, perhaps the techniques employed and lessons learned can be reapplied to other, more pedestrian pursuits.


...



Eugh, I have no idea what I'm talking about on either subject.
SIGNATURE: GONE

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:53 pm

James wrote:
jvcc wrote:Is it right that I find the word "exotic" to be dubious? We took the kids at my work on a field trip to a planetarium where they learned about constellations, and two pre-recorded voices discussed the star "Betelgeuse". One of them comically (and I use the word "comically" quite wrongly) mispronounced it as "Beetlejuice", and the other responded, "No, no, Betelgeuse. It's an Arabic word. Isn't that exotic." I absolutely cringed, because we had among our party kids for whom Arabic is not so "exotic".

I'm rather uncomfortable with my local supermarket having an "ethnic foods" aisle. It's perfectly descriptive, of course, but it seems a bit . . . "watch out for those ethnics, though I do like a good curry" sort of thing. That's probably political correctness running wild in my brain, though.

That reminds me of that Rowan Atkinson sketch where he plays an MP and says something along the lines of "I like curry, but we've got the recipe now. Can't we just send them back?"

James wrote:
jvcc wrote:racial epitaph

I think you mean epithet.

I like to engrave my racial slurs onto epitaphs to make them last longer. I have a whole sepulchre devoted to them.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
ntw3001
Group Captain
Posts: 6582
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Essex

Re: BLURT thread

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Why don't they just give up on dinosaurs? Everything new they find out about them just ends up with them looking more like turkeys. Turkeys aren't that cool. If dinosaurs actually were the same as turkeys, I'd really rather everyone just lied about it.

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:29 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Why don't they just give up on dinosaurs? Everything new they find out about them just ends up with them looking more like turkeys. Turkeys aren't that cool. If dinosaurs actually were the same as turkeys, I'd really rather everyone just lied about it.

There seems to be a lot of inexplicable hatred toward turkeys. There's a story that when the US was being founded Benjamin Franklin wanted the national bird to be a turkey, and everyone else was like, "Nah man, we want it to be an eagle." (I'm paraphrasing).
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
ntw3001
Group Captain
Posts: 6582
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Essex

Re: BLURT thread

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Well it's not exactly that there's anything wrong with turkeys. As birds go, they're pretty big, which is the main thing that makes a bird good, so they rate pretty highly on the bird-quality scale. The problem is that turkeys are already around. I'm sure I'd feel the same way if all those durned science-types came out of their labs and said 'actually, as it turns out, all dinosaurs were just exactly the same as badgers'. Badgers are okay, you know? But I'd really rather they lied and told me they just found out dinosaurs were not only giant super-lizards (yah, not lizards, I'm aware), but that they also used to do battle with medieval weaponry rather than the previously-supposed boring old claws-and-teeth armoury. That would be excellent. And there's no loss to telling me this, because what does it matter what people think dinosaurs looked like?

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:03 pm

ntw3001 wrote:As birds go, they're pretty big, which is the main thing that makes a bird good

So if I found a way to genetically modify tiny birds, like canaries or wrens, and make them absolutely massive, you'd find that to be an improvement? A nuthatch with a nine-foot wingspan.

Actually, I'm quite liking the idea of that as well. I would ride it to work. The nuthatch would be my bird of choice because it can hop upwards or downwards on a tree.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4506
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:51 am
Location: La-la land

Re: BLURT thread

Postby sum yun gai » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:29 pm

apparently yesterday was world tapir day and we all missed it, especially enty...
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.


traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."


Return to “None of the Above”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest