BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

I've just reached page thirteen of my essay for an assignment that calls for a fifteen to twenty page essay and I have nothing more to give. There are only so many parallels that one can draw between an aunt and niece engaging in an incestuous, lesbian relationship who wrote collaboratively under a male pseudonym and William Butler Yeats.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Throw in a more adjectives. Hit the thesaurus and replace short words with long words.

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:46 am

Three words: d o u b l e s p a c e .
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:05 am

What sort of institution specifies a page count rather than a word count? Sounds shoddy to me.
SIGNATURE: GONE

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:18 am

James wrote:What sort of institution specifies a page count rather than a word count? Sounds shoddy to me.

I also thought this.. and envisaged A4 sized fonts.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:22 am

James wrote:What sort of institution specifies a page count rather than a word count? Sounds shoddy to me.

Yes, this. Anyway, if they're going to be crazy like that, size 20 fonts and triple line spacing.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:12 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that page size, font size and margins are all specified as well.

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:29 am

ntw3001 wrote:Did I ever mention my friend's divorce? The one where I was best man. Around their first anniversary she announced that she just didn't want to be married any more.
Stories like this scare the poopcakes out of me. Because...

fanelian wrote:I do believe in love.
me too. It seems like these days people cheat on eachother all the time and end relationships because it hasn't turned out to be the Disney inspired fantasy they thought it would be. I have a terrible time trusting women

fanelian wrote:I think everyone needs a "team" to share their life with.
I totally agree! I recommend the Giants. I'll buy you a shirt if you want.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:30 pm

PonderThis wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that page size, font size and margins are all specified as well.

I've almost always had my assignments specified by page count, at community college, my undergrad university, and this university. It's either stated or implied that your paper be in a Times New Roman size 12 font, be double-spaced, and have 1" margins all around.

In regards to marriage and divorce, I think that it's preferable to have divorce be easily obtainable and not really taboo anymore, as opposed to when divorce was either incredibly hard to apply for in a court of law (such as in the 19th century) or so socially stigmatized that people felt they couldn't get divorced, even if the law would allow them to (a la the 20th century, up until the 70s or 80s, I'll guess). I recognize that divorce is a painful experience, but it's not as bad as some people seem to think it is. Better to realize you're not right for each other than live unhappily.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:18 am

jvcc wrote:
PonderThis wrote:

I've almost always had my assignments specified by page count, at community college, my undergrad university, and this university. It's either stated or implied that your paper be in a Times New Roman size 12 font, be double-spaced, and have 1" margins all around.

They've covered a llot of bases there, then. Your final space-filler is illuminated manuscript. Good luck!

jvcc wrote:In regards to marriage and divorce, I think that it's preferable to have divorce be easily obtainable and not really taboo anymore, as opposed to when divorce was either incredibly hard to apply for in a court of law (such as in the 19th century) or so socially stigmatized that people felt they couldn't get divorced, even if the law would allow them to (a la the 20th century, up until the 70s or 80s, I'll guess). I recognize that divorce is a painful experience, but it's not as bad as some people seem to think it is. Better to realize you're not right for each other than live unhappily.

I'm not really down with making divorce easy because I wouldn't want marriage to be trivialised. Marrying someone really ought, to my mind, to be a thing, and I rather suspect that there are plenty of couples who decide they're 'not right for each other' with no real basis for it. I'm of the opinion that most relationships are workable with sufficient commitment (ie. the amount of commitment represented by having got married in the first place). Not all, but plenty of divorces are caused by people deciding they'd rather ditch the person they're with in the hope of instead finding some infinitely more perfect partner, and those people are as stupid as hell *coughmyfriendswife*.

I've not got a great amount of sympathy for those who agree to be stuck to someone and then find it's hard to separate again. Commitment is the point of marriage, and it's not a commitment if it's easy to hop in and hop out. The really easy way to avoid divorce is to not get married. I'd agree more if it weren't optional in the first place, but it is.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:28 am

enty wrote:
jvcc wrote:In regards to marriage and divorce, I think that it's preferable to have divorce be easily obtainable and not really taboo anymore, as opposed to when divorce was either incredibly hard to apply for in a court of law (such as in the 19th century) or so socially stigmatized that people felt they couldn't get divorced, even if the law would allow them to (a la the 20th century, up until the 70s or 80s, I'll guess). I recognize that divorce is a painful experience, but it's not as bad as some people seem to think it is. Better to realize you're not right for each other than live unhappily.

I'm not really down with making divorce easy because I wouldn't want marriage to be trivialised. Marrying someone really ought, to my mind, to be a thing, and I rather suspect that there are plenty of couples who decide they're 'not right for each other' with no real basis for it. I'm of the opinion that most relationships are workable with sufficient commitment (ie. the amount of commitment represented by having got married in the first place). Not all, but plenty of divorces are caused by people deciding they'd rather ditch the person they're with in the hope of instead finding some infinitely more perfect partner, and those people are as stupid as hell *coughmyfriendswife*.

I've not got a great amount of sympathy for those who agree to be stuck to someone and then find it's hard to separate again. Commitment is the point of marriage, and it's not a commitment if it's easy to hop in and hop out. The really easy way to avoid divorce is to not get married. I'd agree more if it weren't optional in the first place, but it is.

I don't think that making divorce easy necessarily trivializes marriage. During the 19th century when coverture was in place in Britain and the US, I believe, women had a hell of time filing for divorce (really only aristocrats or wealthy upper middle-class women could, and that being able to file didn't guarantee that they'd be awarded it). I can't recall any exact figures, but I know that in Victorian England there was a lot of domestic abuse, partly because women had no legal recourse.

Obviously the legal position of women has changed a lot in over a century (we are no longer considered our husbands property if we get married, woo!), but coming from this historical perspective and also using the personal example of my own experience in which my life and the lives of my family members greatly improved after my mom divorced my father, I will never be able to look on divorce as an unequivocally or even mainly negative thing.

When I think of marriage I think of potential happiness and greater life satisfaction for some people, sure, but I also think of the sinister project of society to force all its subjects into normative roles (ignoring, denying, ridiculing, or punishing any non-traditional attempts to obtain happiness) by interpolating them into institutions, and the history of women being abused, disenfranchised, and dehumanized through their part in marriage as an institution. Contrary to my recent surge in comments about this issue, I am not overly willing to discuss my views on marriage or divorce because I don't want to seem affectedly counter-cultural, but it does always tend to unnerve me when I find so many people defending practices that I see as forces of habit rather than genuine avenues to happiness or fulfillment.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:58 am

Well I'm certainly not universally against divorce, because in enough cases it actually is the best route to take. But I rather suspect that increasing the ease of obtaining divorce has a far more profound effect on the number of no-reason divorces (and marriages). It may be that it's less a matter of ease than accessibility. I want divorce to be an option for everyone, but not an easy decision to make. And myself, it's no so much that I'm inclined to staunchly defend the marriage-is-always-just-and-good viewpoint; I'm more of the since-the-commitment-is-optional-in-the-first-place-do-at-least-try-to-take-it-seriously persuasion.

I'm in agreement that the institution of marriage is of more traditional value than anything else; it's because of that that I think it should be something people commit to. If I didn't see it as optional, I'd probably be more inclined to give people outs. And in any case, since its chief value is as a mark of commitment, removing that aspect does rather harm its impact.

Finally, with regards to 'genuine avenues of happiness or fulfilment', I think that marriage is one such avenue, just as genuine as any other. I don't believe there's any meaning to the idea of some state of happiness which exists independent of sociality or tradition. I'd certainly agree that there's an argument to be made that marriage is an antiquated aspect of a poisonous social framework which doesn't necessarily blend with today's fast-paced hip young urban on-the-go 'me' lifestyle to reach optimum satisfaction potential, but certainly I wouldn't say that the satisfaction it can provide is somehow false. As I say, I don't think anything much of the idea of existential fulfilment coming from a place completely independent of social influence. You can be cultural, or anti-cultural, but I don't believe it's possible to be acultural. Can't avoid the worms, yo.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:40 am

Yes, as I said, I recognize marriage as a potential avenue to happiness for some people; what I meant to imply with my closing sentence is that it is proponents of the legitimacy and primacy of marriage who often view other means to achieve happiness as somehow inadequate or not genuine, not that I consider marriage that way.

Trying to determine if human beings can "escape," as it were, from culture or only have the options of conforming to or reacting against it always leads to unsolvable (though interesting) debates regarding free will. I think I tend to favor the opinion that you can't be acultural and try to not let it send me into existential anxiety.

I also think that less people should get married in the first place.

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:24 am

Obtaining a divorce should be easy in a legal sense. But it should be hard in a moral sense because you rickin'-frackin' committed yourself to someone for life and it would be nice if your vows actually meant a god dang thing.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:02 am

I'm not really sure what stance to take on this issue. I do believe that marriage is a valuable institution for a lot of people, but also that it isn't for everyone, and that that's fine. I also find the rate of divorce is troubling, but for me it says less about divorce itself, and more about the state of society on the whole, be it the quality of relationships, the nature of people's hopes and expectations, or people's lack of dedication and foresight (all things that have already been mentioned). I don't think the solution is to make divorce harder, and I think it would be a mistake to consider it trivial as it is. I was at university when my parents got divorced, so I was somewhat removed from the whole process, but from what I gather it was long and difficult enough, and my mother was left with a pretty profound sense of loss, even though it was probably for the best. That's an inevitable consequence of having spent the majority of your life with someone, unless you're incredibly callous, in which case no system is going to fix that. Perhaps you guys are talking about divorces earlier in life (I presume your friend is much younger than my parents, NTW), which I suppose is a different matter. Still, while it's sad that some marriages don't last, I don't think one has a fundamental right to be married (as in, the world doesn't owe you a marriage), but I do think one has a fundamental right to freedom. You can't legislate good sense into people, but the law can and should offer aid to those in need.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Yeah, my friend and his wife were 22 and 21 when they got married. Certainly I think that later-in-life divorces from longer-lasting marriages come with enough difficulty as they stand, aside from any additional legal complications. What I really have a problem with is when people get married just because 'it's what people do', or worse, because they want to have a big wedding (or because they don't believe in sex before marriage...). There should be a sense of permanent commitment to make people really consider taking that step.

All this said, my friend is still technically married because they haven't been married long enough to get divorced for no reason without incurring some kind of penalties (or something, I'm not entirely clear). She refused marriage counselling and all of this, so there's no way they'd have stuck together anyway. But maybe they'd not have got married so young in the first place. Oh who am I kidding, she wanted a wedding and they didn't belive in sex before marriage. They'd have got married if the law required them to honeymoon at the bottom of the sea.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:46 pm

ntw3001 wrote:(or because they don't believe in sex before marriage...).

This is the reason about half of the people from my old youth group got married right out of high school. As St. Paul says, it is better to enter into a sham of a marriage than to burn with lust. I may be paraphrasing.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:45 pm

So it's agreed: what we really have a problem with is a lack of sex before marriage.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:18 am

It's certainly something I'm having a problem with.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:43 am

Hear, hear.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 pm

hoyoooo, and so on.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:34 pm

chrismachine wrote:hoyoooo, and so on.

It's like you read my mind.

badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby badplantmommy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:57 am

I think that rather than making it more difficult to get divorced, maybe it's too easy to get married. Not that I would be in favor of laws making it harder to get married, I just believe that people should give the matter a lot of thought before tying the knot. (I'm married, btw.)
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.

badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby badplantmommy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 am

Judging by all the stains on my clothes, maybe I should try tie-dyeing fabric in things like grease, oil, and tomato sauce. :P
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:43 pm

I was looking for the address of a Funeral house, called Gayosso (It's a Spanish last name). I found it in Google:

But the site is blocked by our company's firewall becaaause:

Yeah, it has "Gay" on the name so it MUST be pronography.... :roll:
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

Return to “None of the Above”