BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Re: BLURT thread

Postby badplantmommy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:17 am

Sorry you're going through a rough time, Ian. :( I will behave myself and not suggest you go and partake of an illegal substance (even though said substance is actually legal here with a doctor's note :wink: ). Anyway, I hope things look up for you soon.

And I like dogs, cats, and rabbits.
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:56 am

Yesterday I took a Claratin. Without a prescription.

:rebel without a cause: :cool:

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:31 am

I hope things get better for you soon, Ian.
SIGNATURE: GONE

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:22 am

Look at me, late to the party.

JVCC - I am interested to hear the details of your experience should you be willing to share them.

Animals - dogs, ducks, turtles, leopards
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:57 am

giantsfan97 wrote:JVCC - I am interested to hear the details of your experience should you be willing to share them.

Mmhmm. I suppose I should preface my story by saying that it should only be read by those who are comfortable with recreational drug use, or something.

Anyway, I went to a New Year's Eve party with some friends. The party was dominated by a troupe of sorority girls who spent most of the time taking facebook pictuuuuuures and being generally annoying so we left at around ten and went back to my friends' apartment.

It turns out, as I have always suspected, that on previous occasions when I had tried the substance in question I hadn't known how to smoke properly; it isn't intuitive. When I finally figured it out there were a few moments where the other people were high and watching me intently to see if I was, too. I during this time was putting up with their inquisitiveness while analyzing myself for signs of any change. Almost immediately my movements felt strange, but I had already been drinking a bit so I put it down to that. Once time started to feel differently I was suddenly worried that they would spend the rest of the evening staring at me, so I hurriedly tried to put the DVD we had rented (Fright Night with Collin Farrell, which from what I remember of it was terrible) into the Xbox that serves as their DVD player in order to distract them. I found the actual act of getting a DVD into the slot to be unusually difficult and complained about the Xbox being sideways, which they found to be very amusing.

Eventually I accomplished my nearly insurmountable task and chose a chair to sit in. My introspection was interrupted by someone turning a lamp on, which upset me greatly because it dispelled my introspective thoughts so I insisted that it be turned off again. The others were acting silly and saying inane things like they were drunk (which, looking back on it, they probably were), but I at the time was seized by the unfair belief that they were faking it and that if I started laughing uncontrollably at nothing (as I already had a few times) or twitching (as I did) they would think I was faking, too. So I spent a lot of time in a chair eating and thinking, trying not to move or make noise and being slightly paranoid. Not entirely unlike my usual self. I'm sure I was lots of fun. I wasn't unhappy, though, just obsessing about strange things.

My friend who used to smoke quite frequently had told me before that said substance focuses his thinking, but I, who usually have no problem focusing, felt like I was in a haze and like time kept skipping forward. So I tried to remember all my thoughts and sensations to report back to him, but was also certain that I, when high, am less profound than him.

Something particularly amusing to my friends and me afterward but terrifying at the time was the conviction that two of my friends who live at the apartment and are a couple were going to have sex in front of everyone and that I needed to prevent it because it would be uncomfortable. Sometime before midnight the guy told his girlfriend that they would need to have their New Year's kiss, to which I said, "No! you--you need to go to your room first." "To kiss? On the face?" "Yes."

That's about all that I can remember that seems worthy of note. It was much more intense than I had expected and significantly different from getting drunk. I don't intend I'll do it often or ever again besides with my previously mentioned focused friend who has insisted we use it together at some point.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:29 am

jvcc wrote:
giantsfan97 wrote:JVCC - I am interested to hear the details of your experience should you be willing to share them.

My friend who used to smoke quite frequently had told me before that said substance focuses his thinking, but I, who usually have no problem focusing, felt like I was in a haze and like time kept skipping forward. So I tried to remember all my thoughts and sensations to report back to him, but was also certain that I, when high, am less profound than him.

I don't know if you've spent much time with people who claim that, while they're in that state, but it turns out that they actually don't make any sense. They sound like they're saying something profound, and they're awfully earnest, but what comes out of their mouth makes no sense.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:59 am

loofah wrote:
jvcc wrote:

I don't know if you've spent much time with people who claim that, while they're in that state, but it turns out that they actually don't make any sense. They sound like they're saying something profound, and they're awfully earnest, but what comes out of their mouth makes no sense.

Well, the situation is that the first time I tried to get high was with him, and where I failed he succeeded and we had a long conversation on a range of philosophical issues (as we would normally do) that I quite enjoyed. The second time when I tried and failed was with him and some of the friends I spent New Year's with, and they just wanted to watch Adventure Time and act like idiots, which neither of us enjoyed. So I know that he remains articulate and coherent, you just have to push him to explain his thought process at times because to a listener his premises and conclusions won't always line up. I know that I remain somewhat articulate, too, because when one of my friends was questioning me on New Year's I responded using my normal vocabulary and he said that I couldn't possibly be high because I was "still using words."

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:11 pm

I am boring when high. I don't greatly care for it. It's like not being high, but without the lucidity. The last time I did it was especially bad; previously I'd smoked it with friends in Manchester (mostly), and it was more of a day-of-smoking arrangement than inhale-all-of-this-quick-snap. Quite pleasant really, although not the most exciting way to spend a day. But I've smoked it once in Canada, and it was a whole bunch stronger, with more in a shorter time, in a room with no windows and with no water or any such. I spent three hours listening to almost-strangers talk about people they knew, but couldn't follow the conversation for more than twenty or thirty seconds at a time (oddly, I remember much of it now). I was uncomfortably aware that I was much, much higher than everybody else, and since I couldn't hold a thread of conversatiion, I didn't talk. It was not the most exciting few hours I have ever experienced.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:56 pm

I've never felt tempted to try it, I can't really say why. I don't think badly of it, I just don't feel like it.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Hmm, I always thought I missed out on all the fun as a youth. Looks like I didn't miss out all that much.

(But seriously, I never did anything fun as a youth. :|)

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Agggh I hate sending "thinly veiled threats" to vendors. It sometimes is necessary, though, to let them know that if they keep being decidedly unpleasant I will be forced to stop buying from them, even though I like how low their prices are. However, I always feel nervous that they will know better and laugh at me.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:37 am

I smoked a lot in my early twenties, then stopped completely for nearly a year when I was 26. Lately I have taken to smoking with my roommate only on weekends, and even then not a lot. Really I only like being high when I know I have no responsibilities that day and plan on just sitting around watching movies or playing video games. Smoking weed makes me much more self conscious so I never do it when I know I'm going to be around WOMEN later.

fanelian wrote:I've never felt tempted to try it, I can't really say why. I don't think badly of it, I just don't feel like it.

It bothers me when people are like "everyone should try it once". No, they shouldn't. It also bothers me when people think marijuana is some god awful toxin or something.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Lesson learned: Never, ever, under any circumstances, complain with your friends about having little work, because no matter how much time passes since your original complain, in their minds you'll always be "doing nothing all day" and they will gradually become asses about it.

I do have work to do now, and I'm not sorry and not going to apologize to anyone for not being buried by it and being able to go home on time. :x

I guess I used the wrong thread. Sorry.

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:08 pm

loofah wrote:Feeling crappy is not a valid excuse for lashing out.

IT IS IN MY HOUSE

loofah wrote:I don't know if you've spent much time with people who claim that, while they're in that state, but it turns out that they actually don't make any sense. They sound like they're saying something profound, and they're awfully earnest, but what comes out of their mouth makes no sense.

Aahhahaha well put. That whole earnest part usually involves pointing and eyebrow raising, too.
I've heard the "it helps me focus" thing so many times and the "it relieves my anxiety" claim, too.
The problem is, it can help you focus by blocking out just about every non-critical human survival process to your life's utter detriment, or provide an excuse for your actions and words so that when you don't have it, you are twice as anxious and paranoid.
The moral of the story is: you can't win.

On the other hand, I know a whole bunch of people who use it and function quite well.. so
ianc wrote:whatever
Sitting in your loungeroom freaking out about the horizontalness of your xbox isn't doing too many people much harm.

ALSO, when it comes to legalities involving marijuana.. It's complicated for a number of reasons and while it's often compared to alcohol in barside/loungeroom debates, a lot of issues aren't usually taken into consideration. First of all, I would argue that the laws governing the use of both drugs are not in place to save the user from themself (civil liberties are a two way street), but rather the general populace from the user. This makes sense when you consider the positive aspects of both substances (medicinal purposes etc.), so blanket bans would be ridiculous. Personal use is ok as long as you're not stumbling into your car and mowing down children on your way to the McDonalds Drive Thru on the other side of town becasue they have the best fries.
I'm not up to date with the laws governing marijuana use in the US, UK, Canadia, etc.. but in the states that I've lived in over here, posession of one plant at your place of residence, for personal use, is deemed ok.. but if they find pot or pot-related paraphernalia on your person whilst you're elsewhere, it starts to get hairy.
Similar laws do exist for alcohol. You can have an armory of booze in your man-den, but hold an open bottle on the street and you will be fined and your sweet, sweet liquor confiscated.
Restaurants etc cannot serve alcohol unless it is accompanied by food. Licensed (to sell alcohol) premises must adhere to strict opening times and operational guidelines (ie not serving people who appear intoxicated -I know, right?) in order to mitigate the effect an inotxicated person would have on the world around them.
We have smoking bans over here, too. No smoking in public recreational/eating/drinking areas unless they are specifically designated as smoking areas.
So.. if you're going to mess yourself up, stay at home and do it on your couch. Do no harm.. unless it's self-harm.. but, you know.. not that sort of self-harm. Our server is down at work, so basically I'm just rambling on here until I can do something productive. How have you guys been, ok? I don't visit as much as I would like what with all the familial and skyrimial commitments I currently have. Where's Null? I worry for him sometimes. I fear he may have been sucked into one of his nightmare dreamscape paintings like that guy with the big hair in Oblivion. Did you guys see that Darth Vader burger? It's black. Amazing. Work's kind of getting me down, though. I wish I had my life back. I know Long Service Leave is supposed to help you out, but these days, hardly anyone sticks with the same occupation for too long, so what can you do? Maybe implement a sort of midlife retirement program where you just tend your garden for a few years.. then ease you back into a less stressful occupation. These people will have to wear a certain colour of shirt, so as to differentiate them from young up-and-comers. While I'm at work I have a desk fan blowing into my face all day to create the illusion of real, moving air. Ancient aliens will find my behaviour tragically ironic in centuries to come. Man, I better remember to copy and paste this post. I bet I've been logged out and there's nothing worse than that. Oh yeah Gibbons. Have you seen my Youtube video about gibbons? It has gibbons in it and Australian accents (not me). Gibbons are great. I can't watch Youtube videos at work though. Has anyone tried Path? I kind of really like how it works. Think I might get drunk and listen to music this weekend. Is Spotify any good?
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:06 am

I really like how blurty Dusk got at the end there. I too have concern about Null. Gibbon videos, darth vader burgers? I think Dusk may be pulling my chain. I also believe I said all I needed to about substances and legalities some pages back,and I do not feel like recapping that.

Edit: Darth Vader burger
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:13 am

I've heard a lot of different arbitrary substance laws, but never "personal use in your own home is ok". You Australians and your reasonableness...
Also, I've never tried anything illegal, because I don't trust myself to not do something monumentally stupid. I also don't drink to excess for the same reason. I suppose the logic doesn't follow, except that you have a much smaller sample size to draw from when determining what a "reasonable" amount might be.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:46 am

Dusk wrote:Sitting in your loungeroom freaking out about the horizontalness of your xbox isn't doing too many people much harm.

Discounting the slaughter that ensued, of course.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:13 am

Dusk wrote:It's complicated for a number of reasons and while it's often compared to alcohol in barside/loungeroom debates, a lot of issues aren't usually taken into consideration. First of all, I would argue that the laws governing the use of both drugs are not in place to save the user from themself (civil liberties are a two way street), but rather the general populace from the user.

I THINK YOU'LL FIND I covered that with the phrase "the potential side-effects". I totally get that there are practical reasons to criminalize things associated with existing crimes, but ideally we would be able to only punish people for the actions that directly harm others, and not for the actions that might lead them to a situation where they might be more likely to harm another.

THAT SAID, if diminished responsibility is an acceptible defence, and if the use of drugs can induce a state of legally diminished responsibility, there ought probably be some sort of system to discourage people from putting themselves in a state condusive to the dimishment of responsibility. But there is a lot of ifs in there.

Good to see you anyway, Dusk.
SIGNATURE: GONE

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:58 am

Dusk! Don't see you enough any more. You should drop my more often!

And yeah I dunno what up with Null. Last I heard he'd run out of ideas for drawing cartoons but that doesn't explain why he can't still hang around. :(

Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Binkatron5000 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:42 pm

PonderThis wrote:Dusk! Don't see you enough any more. You should drop my more often!

And yeah I dunno what up with Null. Last I heard he'd run out of ideas for drawing cartoons but that doesn't explain why he can't still hang around. :(

He's been quiet on facebook too, and his last post (on Dec 17) was worrying.
NULL, COME BACK TO US! We miss you!
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Dusk wrote:While I'm at work I have a desk fan blowing into my face all day to create the illusion of real, moving air.

You remind me of this:

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:29 pm

EsBe wrote:Yesterday I took a Claratin. Without a prescription.

Claritan is over-the-counter now. Is it not where you are? :?

Dusk wrote:Maybe implement a sort of midlife retirement program where you just tend your garden for a few years.. then ease you back into a less stressful occupation. These people will have to wear a certain colour of shirt, so as to differentiate them from young up-and-comers.

I am more than willing to support this. Well, as long as the shirt color is not pink. Which I don't think it would be anyway, as I see multiple males in their early-to-mid 20's sporting this color of polo-like shirt thing. Ugh. (I'm not that guys can't wear pink, just saying ugh in general to my male co-workers.)

I also miss Null. Maybe I will write him a letter.

Extra: What a wookie mistake, DV.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Skimba wrote:I also miss Null. Maybe I will write him a letter.

If you have his address, please do. You could sign it from all of us.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Did he say he moved in the last couple years? If so, then I have an old address, if not then, yes, I still have his address.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:36 pm

I have no concept of where anyone here lives aside from country, so he may well have moved.

Well, given that the expense of my school's study abroad program is more than I had anticipated and that there is virtually no financial aid available to graduate students it seems very unlikely that I will go to Oxford over the summer. I have some savings, but it would completely deplete them and as much as I'd enjoy going I'd rather be in a good place to start paying off my student loans once I graduate. Or live off them if I can't find a job.

On the plus side, the most major practical argument for my going was that it would be a plus to potential employers (I'm not sure how it is other fields, but in academia they're big on people having traveled or at least not having stayed in the same place for their entire academic career), but with all the work I'm getting from one of my professors that I'll be able to put on my resume I don't know if it will matter. I've helped him type up and slightly edit (just the bibliography) a book he's working on, am most likely getting credit for co-authoring an evaluative publication on Victorian studies that he edits, and have my independent study that I'm doing this coming semester, the goal of which is to get it published.

This post has been dull. On a more personal level, I suppose, it's been very interesting and exciting to learn about the process of book production. Writing a book seems to mostly entail typing up (or having typed up) your disparate notes on Microsoft Word, then emailing them to your co-author until you get the required word count or over.

Return to “None of the Above”