BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Re: BLURT thread

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:58 pm

jvcc wrote:This post has been dull.

On the contrary, it sounded mightily impressive.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Oh, I would go to Oxford, if I were you. I am in no place to provide any advice to you, though, because I don't know much on the cost of living and those student loans you in the USA all seem to have. But if I had the opportunity to travel to a place I'd like to visit, and for it to be something that can also be included in my resume, I'd go for it.

I now feel the need to clarify that, though I do have some credit card debt, it's something manageable, and I do have money saved for home improvements which I cannot touch, and part of my salary is retained for me as a savings service from our employer: an amount is for emergencies, and another chunck for travel. I just stress because I like things to be always exactly as I plan them and they never seem to come out that way, for some reason :)

I like to travel.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:57 pm

I had one of those moments where I read "cost of living" and thought different meaning when I read it. I was like, what's the alternative, suicide?
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:26 am

Why the hell am I still watching Beyond Scared Straight? It been like...8 hours.
I had a migraine today and stayed home from work. The top/back of my head still throbs.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:23 am

I made brownies this morning. Well, OK, from a mix so nothing exciting I'm just enjoying some brownies and thought I'd share. Mmmmm fresh brownies and coffee mmmmm. 8)

badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby badplantmommy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:54 am

Dusk wrote:Maybe implement a sort of midlife retirement program where you just tend your garden for a few years.. then ease you back into a less stressful occupation. These people will have to wear a certain colour of shirt, so as to differentiate them from young up-and-comers.

I feel like that's kind of what I've been doing for the past few years. I'm ready to ease back into a less stressful occupation...does anyone know where I can find one? :)
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Everyone is so quieeeeet.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 pm

I don't have much to talk about, other than school. I'm learning to use the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) for my Phonology class, or "fənaləʤi klæs". Perhaps the most important thing I've learned so far is that vocal cords look unmistakeably like vaginas; seriously, other than vaginas nothing has ever looked more like a vagina in its life.

I just got an Iggy Pop t-shirt that I ordered from Thailand today. It says "Thank you to a postman" on the box.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 am

fanelian wrote:Everyone is so quieeeeet.

You should have heard me on Sunday!
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:28 am

jvcc wrote:I don't have much to talk about, other than school. I'm learning to use the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) for my Phonology class

I'd like to learn a bunch of stuff like that, but it never seems to stick. I can never remember most grammatical and linguistic terms, either. Earlier I was idly browsing Wikipedia, and I think I might finally have remembered what a schwa is (that tiny indistinct vowel that replaces a load of unstressed vowels in English) and what its IPA symbol is (an upside-down e).

It's weird to be theoretically interested in something, but not patient or able enough to actually learn much about it.
SIGNATURE: GONE

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 am

James wrote:
jvcc wrote:I don't have much to talk about, other than school. I'm learning to use the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) for my Phonology class

I'd like to learn a bunch of stuff like that, but it never seems to stick. I can never remember most grammatical and linguistic terms, either. Earlier I was idly browsing Wikipedia, and I think I might finally have remembered what a schwa is (that tiny indistinct vowel that replaces a load of unstressed vowels in English) and what its IPA symbol is (an upside-down e).

It's weird to be theoretically interested in something, but not patient or able enough to actually learn much about it.

Yeah, the schwa (ə) represents an "uh" sound, like the first syllable in "about". That will probably be all I can, in good faith, teach you about this sort of thing because the Americans and the British have differing systems of transcription (GenAmer and RP--General American and Received Pronunciation) for phonetics. We are also, apparently, locked in a vicious argument over which system is better.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 am

I bought these things called "VitaMuffin VitaTops" and I thought "YAY Muffin Tops for breakfast!!"
While they are not bad tasting, they still taste like they are good for me (which they are).
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 pm

If I were a beat poet, my stage name would be "Schwa".

So much work.. bleh.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:01 am

HIgh five on the office jorbs!
Lordy lordy on high, I love me some drinks!!!!!asdn;wsiegydvnrtbgd5li

I love myself. Probably more than I should....but fork...look how awesome I am!!!!!!

BTW - I am.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:08 am

Skimba wrote:BTW - I am.

Yes, you are. :)

Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Teeheehee, that is the second post I found I made while drunk last night. I do not recall even being on the computer.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:43 pm

I was hanging out with friends who were drunk last night while I was the only sober one, and we danced around like fools (which I possibly enjoyed more than them because I'm sure I remember it better now).

Those who do not enjoy sacrilege may not want to read any further, but we all were in the same youth group together when younger so we put on some Hillsong music at one point and recreated an intense worship session. In an Assemblies of God church that means raising your hands in the air, swaying, jumping, shouting, and if you were really into Jesus shaking and just sort of falling all over yourself.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:49 pm

jvcc wrote:intense worship session

Sounds like something you do at the Jesus Gym.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:52 pm

James wrote:
jvcc wrote:intense worship session

Sounds like something you do at the Jesus Gym.

Pretty much. Although that term might be more aptly applied to the Bible College that was affiliated with our church which had Boot Camp for its members at the beginning of the semester where they had to run up a hill with weighted backpacks, and if they failed to do something they were instructed to during the rest of the year were punished with a "5 AM" which was a 5 AM session at the YMCA gym. My brother was in that college. Fun times.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:00 pm

The point was to have worship as an analogue for working out. It doesn't work if working out is the analogue for working out.

(Interesting stuff, though.)

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:30 pm

James wrote:The point was to have worship as an analogue for working out. It doesn't work if working out is the analogue for working out.

(Interesting stuff, though.)

I meant that aspects of the Bible College could be called Jesus Gym. But really I did just want to talk about something interesting that I know not everyone else--particularly people who haven't grown up in certain American churches--has experienced. For the college thing people paid thousands of dollars to attend and where given $30 for food a month, I believe. That meant either a lot of creative free food finding, begging, or going hungry. The entire project of the institution seemed to be to so completely mentally, emotionally, and physically devastate people that they'd have no self-esteem left to question any of the church's decisions.

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Slightly difficult to type this because my keyboard area is covered with Twizzlers wrappers. I buy stuff for work via Staples, so I always get the freebies that come with purchases over X dollars. This month's freebie was a 33oz tub of Twizzlers, though I was distressed to learn that it didn't come in one of those giant rugged polycarbonate tubs of yore, but rather a flimsy polythene container. Also, they are frustratingly individually wrapped.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Ah man, an oil stain on my light grey sweater. Right in the solar plexus; it's noticeable. It was not an expensive sweater, but only because I got it at large discounts. Normally it would have been too expensive. I may have to see what the dry cleaners have to say about this, because the internet seems to think I need a range of very specific tools and substances to remove such a stain myself.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Ah man, an oil stain on my light grey sweater. Right in the solar plexus; it's noticeable. It was not an expensive sweater, but only because I got it at large discounts. Normally it would have been too expensive. I may have to see what the dry cleaners have to say about this, because the internet seems to think I need a range of very specific tools and substances to remove such a stain myself.

The wonderful thing about winter is that you can dress in layers that hide the defects of the items of clothing underneath. I've been using a series of zip-up hoodies to cover up stained t-shirts for years.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 am

This is my thinking with my large collection of old, worn-out shirts (replacing dress shirts is expensive), but a sweater is rather the outer layer of indoor wear. Ain't much can be worn over a sweater bar some kind of jacket or coat, unless some garment is slipping my mind.

Return to “None of the Above”