BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Re: BLURT thread

Postby EsBe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:03 am

I learned two IRC-friends are engaged and plan on wedding next spring, and I was casually invited. I have never seen pictures of them, or if I have then I have forgotten in the several years since. It occurs to me that if you want to avoid awkward "excuse me, I'm So-and-so, you don't happen to be..." introductions, the best possible place to meet someone for the first time is at their wedding, since the ceremony (as long as they do it right) should leave no doubt as to their identity.

Android Replica
WON THE LOTTERY

Postby Android Replica » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:16 am

EsBe wrote:I learned two IRC-friends are engaged and plan on wedding next spring, and I was casually invited. I have never seen pictures of them, or if I have then I have forgotten in the several years since. It occurs to me that if you want to avoid awkward "excuse me, I'm So-and-so, you don't happen to be..." introductions, the best possible place to meet someone for the first time is at their wedding, since the ceremony (as long as they do it right) should leave no doubt as to their identity.

Here's where I imagine name tags would be really useful, especially those with an "AKA" field. You know, "Hello, my name is WILLIAM SHATNER, AKA 'Captain Kirk'"

That's probably not the best example but I think the meaning gets across anyway. If the wedding is far too formal for that, it might be best to call in sick then. You might practice some coughing, but it still leaves open the question of, do you call in sick as you, or as your online identity?

I don't have a ready answer for that, but I bet the internet has some options.

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:17 am

jvcc wrote:
MysticalDescent wrote:I've had this thought: I may actually be the youngest (active) member of these forums. What's alarming is that I joined in 2006 and had been lurking for something like 2 years prior to that moment. Having been on here all through my teenage years (I daren't look back through my posts from previous years because I know that being a teenager, I will have posted an absolute ton of garbage) and beyond, this forum may actually have had something of a large part of shaping my personality as an adult. This may actually mean that I'm an almost functional child of Spamusement. Truly terrifying stuff.

I had it in my mind that you were older than me, but your post has made me unsure. Reveal your age!

I joined in 2007 when I was sixteen, I think, and had lurked a while before that. When I read my former posts I always cringe at my former religious zeal and general naivety. I don't think that Spamusement has altered me much, but I certainly have changed in all the time I've been on here.

I think you're older, but not by a lot. I can unhelpfully add that when I joined in 2006, I was 15.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:07 am

Android Replica wrote:If the wedding is far too formal for that, it might be best to call in sick then.

except if it's IRC, he'd have to type "/me coughs" over and over again.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 pm

So my horoscope yesterday was all 'great things will happen in the next couple of days; creatively and romantically you should set your sights high'. What has actually happened is: The girl I was going to go out with on Fire Day got sick. The girl I saw last week was busy. The girl I was going to see on Wednesday changed to today and invited a mutual friend. That ain't too bad, as it was not really any kind of a 'date' to begin with, but it still counts because I want to complain. Then today I woke up feeling a trifle ill, spent the day at work in the dusty warehouse checking the sewing on hats (less fun than it sounds), felt worse because I am super sensitive to dust (about a quarter of my lessons at school were like hour-long colds because what is in these rooms it is awful) and by the end off the day I was really not up to going for dinner. I was conflicted, because this girl is going away on the 19th and I might not get to see her again. I cleverly solved the problem by forgetting my phone, which I have to charge at work due to its battery life of about five hours, and so wasn't able to arrange a meeting place. So it's probably sitting there in the kitchen with missed calls and texts saying 'where are u lol'.

Best plan: borrow my roommate's phone (fortunately I got home just before he left), ring a friend, get the mutual friend's number, ring him (by this point I am about half an hour late to the dinner I'm not going to), tell him I haven't shown up because I'm not going to. Hitch: Can't get through to the first friend in the chain. Roommate has to leave.

Second best plan: Just Facebook them. Sure hope one of them can get Facebook on their phone! Otherwise they gonna be mad at me :(

Problem: My phone's contract runs out today. I can't pay online because the phone company are stupid and wrong, and I think I need the phone to pay in the shop. So I'm still phoneless even when I recover the item itself tomorrow. That is the time I would very much like to be contacting these people I'm blowing off.

Also, the dogs at work keep farting. It's awful.

So something mega good gotta happen tomorrow, otherwise my horoscope will be completely wrong! Obviously that's impossible, so both creatively and romantically I'm going to set my sights high.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Fire Day

???
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:51 am

I am terrible at relationship advice, so I'll just comment on this:
ntw3001 wrote:Also, the dogs at work keep farting. It's awful.

At least it's a steady job. That's gotta count for something.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:26 pm

I used to be a twat; I am now a slightly different type of twat.
SIGNATURE: GONE

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:48 pm

jvcc wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:Fire Day

???

It's how us better folk say Friday.

PonderThis wrote:I am terrible at relationship advice, so I'll just comment on this:
ntw3001 wrote:Also, the dogs at work keep farting. It's awful.

At least it's a steady job. That's gotta count for something.

Yeah, work is fine, I like it well enough. but dog farts are worth complaining about. Stop farting, dogs!

I don't really mind any of these things; it's just that it's been quite a poor sequence of events. And my horoscope predicted at least one good event! Aside from that, ain't nuthin that would normally be worthy of complaint. Who could believe a horoscope would be wrong?

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Your constantly asking me if I'm having some beers on the weekend won't result on me inviting you to have some beers at my house.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:25 pm

fanelian wrote:Your constantly asking me if I'm having some beers on the weekend won't result on me inviting you to have some beers at my house.

sorry jeez
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Now, if you invite me, on the other hand... I may accept the invitation. :)
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby badplantmommy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:34 pm

I haven't been here in almost a month.

I think it would be cool to work somewhere that had dogs, provided their farts weren't too smelly. I wonder what they're feeling them. :)
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Another brief anecdote from my job: we work in a large metal machine shed (it's an industrial park), so basically a huge Faraday cage. That prevents the boombox radio in the shop from picking up stations very well. Every so often I will open up the garage door to find that the wheels are jammed on a bit of stripped coax which has been cleverly wired to the garage door rails in order to, in theory, get a better radio signal a huge unwieldy set of rabbit ears (really, each antenna extends to over 4 feet, it's annoying when it falls over).

What I recently discovered when I actually took a gander at the setup, and why it's not so clever: firstly we have one boombox with a thin rubber coated wire trailing out the back (a standard FM antenna which clearly doesn't work well inside the shop), and secondly we have that huge external rabbit ear antenna with a beefy coax leading out of it, connecting to the metal frame of the door where the rubber coating has been stripped away. Wait, what? None of that unwieldy antenna assembly actually leads back to the radio at all. And I see co-workers adjusting the rabbit ears and re-mounting the coax all the time trying to get better reception. :? (Oh, and thirdly it isn't even the coax core that makes contact with the metal frame, but rather the coax shielding which is designed specifically to prevent signals from getting to the core. But I would not really consider that common knowledge, it's just funny.)

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:34 pm

New cafe opened up near work that actually has HEALTHY FOOD. Went by for lunch today and it's not bad. Finally I have a choice amongst the eighty-five Tex-Mex and eleventy-seven fast food joints!

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:02 pm

So my wife has decided recently to do some of the stuff she always wanted to do growing up but never got the chance to do. I'm going to label it as an early midlife crisis, as yesterday we dyed her hair a dark purple and today she got her tongue pierced. I'm cool with all this. The dye is a temporary one so it will wash out in a few washes if she comes out of this, and the piercing nobody will see unless she wants them to. Problem is that when she tells people they look at me in a manner like, "How did you talk her into doing that?" Almost like they think I asked her to do it so that certain...activities will be more pleasurable for me. She's the one that had the idea for it though and I'm going to go along with it on the grounds that it only cost us $15, and if she decides she doesn't like it, she can just take it out and it will heal. It's not a facial piercing so no biggie to me.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Twice now I have asked my stylist to dye my hair purple and it keeps coming out red. The first time I went to her I had it dyed red, so maybe it's a force of habit. She said something about my hair being resistant to dye. Pshaw. Anyway, purple hair is neat and I commend your wife's decision.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:38 pm

So that cafe is right by White Rock Lake here in Dallas and is bicyclist-friendly. Which means after riding this morning I could just stop there, park the ol' bike, and have lunch. I tell you nothing tastes so good as some good food when you're ravenously hungry. The only minor annoyance is afterwards I still had about a mile to ride to get back to the car. All in all a pretty great ride this morning.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Today's miscellanea:

1) I've had a cough for a few days and was assured that pure lemon juice followed by honey was the logical solution. 15 hours later and I still regret everything because I can still taste it. REGRET.

2) I don't get all the fuss over the Titanic sinking. I don't mean to sound callous or anything, but I've seen news footage of people not much older than me crying over it, possibly at the launch of the tribute voyage thing, seriously. I appreciate that it was rather a big thing at the time and remains quite a big thing to the few survivors, but the coverage seems way, way over the top.

Fun Titanic fact: Captain Smith was born in Stoke-on-Trent and many years ago, the city was presented with a bronze statue of him. Understandably, the council didn't really want to be associated with the man who sunk the Titanic (too many parallels between local government and sinking ships, perhaps) and the statue is now in Lichfield, because that was the only place that would have it.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:24 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:2) I don't get all the fuss over the Titanic sinking. I don't mean to sound callous or anything, but I've seen news footage of people not much older than me crying over it, possibly at the launch of the tribute voyage thing, seriously. I appreciate that it was rather a big thing at the time and remains quite a big thing to the few survivors, but the coverage seems way, way over the top.

Those people have probably seen the movie Titanic, which is as tedious as it is cloying. For things associated with the Titanic which possess neither of those negative qualities, this poem by Yeats called "Lines on the Loss of the Titanic" is interesting.

MysticalDescent wrote:Fun Titanic fact: Captain Smith was born in Stoke-on-Trent and many years ago, the city was presented with a bronze statue of him. Understandably, the council didn't really want to be associated with the man who sunk the Titanic (too many parallels between local government and sinking ships, perhaps) and the statue is now in Lichfield, because that was the only place that would have it.

What a fantastic bit of trivia.

Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Hmph, I loved Titanic. Though I have to say that my favourite movie about the ship is probably A Night to Remember, though of course for very different reasons as it was a very different sort of movie.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:51 am

My favorite movie about that ill-fated voyage is Titanic.

(Not really)

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:33 am

I think that what moves people to tears about the titanic is the massive loss of human lives, many of which could have been saved with more life-saving boats, if that ship that was nearer them had approached them on their signals of distress, and if some people had been less dickish in general. It makes me sad when I think of all the people that didn't stand a chance, which in their vast majority were people whose all belongings were on that ship they took, in the hopes of starting a new life in a new country. And they died instead, many of their corpses were never recovered for proper burial. You know, tragedy.

It still generates attention because it's still under the sea - it's right there but we still may never know exactly how things happened and that seems ridiculous because it happened just a hundred years ago, so we should be able to know - kind of that nagging feeling when you can't quite remember the name of that guy in that movie you saw just the other niiiight. So, mostly it's sheer curiosity and weird people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for artifacts recovered from it, and there are these other people trying to porevent further disruption of the wreckage considering it as burial ground for those whose corpses were never recovered.

It's also interesting if you like to know how things are built and work engineering wise. It was quite the thing, you see. It had a lot of engineering achievements going on in it, and stupid people sank it anyway.

So tragedy, curiosity, frustration and avarice. This tale has it all!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:24 pm

The 97 Titanic is pure Crap with a capital C.

Only two good things in that film, i might have imagine them being as clear as they are in my mind, but they were Kate Winslets boobs.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 am

fanelian wrote:It still generates attention because it's still under the sea - it's right there but we still may never know exactly how things happened and that seems ridiculous because it happened just a hundred years ago, so we should be able to know - kind of that nagging feeling when you can't quite remember the name of that guy in that movie you saw just the other niiiight. So, mostly it's sheer curiosity and weird people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for artifacts recovered from it, and there are these other people trying to porevent further disruption of the wreckage considering it as burial ground for those whose corpses were never recovered.

It's also interesting if you like to know how things are built and work engineering wise. It was quite the thing, you see. It had a lot of engineering achievements going on in it, and stupid people sank it anyway.

So tragedy, curiosity, frustration and avarice. This tale has it all!

I also am facinated with sunken ships and the deterioration of the vessel, what was on/in it and the new life that (usually) congregates around them. I, perhaps, don't enjoy the actual sinking of the ship, just the aftermath.
Something bad, but awesome all the same:
Shipwrecks at the bottom of what was once a sea
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

Return to “None of the Above”