BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Re: BLURT thread

Postby Zombie Protestor » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Apparently I'm a very bad person. Like, really bad. I heard about the theater shooting at the Batman premiere and among my first thoughts were, "Viral marketing has really gotten out of hand."
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Here is a convoluted ramble that is going to many places.

GAME recently closed a large number of their stores (something like 140?) due to financial troubles. This included the two stores in Stoke. This is a massive pain, because now the options for the gentleman who wishes to purchase a PC game are now heavily limited. You can go to CEX, but only if you want to buy a game that's at least ten years old and preowned. You can try GameSpot (or is it Gamestation?) which has one side of the store dedicated to Xbox games, one half dedicated to Playstation games and a small shelf in the middle that had half a dozen copies of Diablo 3, but which apparently emptied in about 30 seconds. A new PC World has just opened, but that doesn't appear to sell any games at all. That's it.

This isn't that much of a problem for me. I don't really PC game any more. I used to like digging out a ton of my older games out of my archive and playing them, but Vista compatibility has put paid to that. I now stick to my 360 and it's pretty easy to keep up to date with it all and just order the latest releases of the titles I'm interested in. The trick is when my Dad's birthday comes around, along with Christmas and Father's Day, as I would normally nip out to GAME, browse through the PC games and pick up a few that looked half decent. It was pretty straightforward, really. Obviously, now that there's a complete lack of PC games in the city, that avenue is now completely closed to me and getting hold of a decent RTS game is quite difficult.

'What about Steam?', I hear you cry. Maybe I don't hear you cry that. Maybe you stopped reading at some other point of the ramble. I was actually told by a friend that nobody bothers wit physical copies of games any more because you can just buy them on Steam. How super that is. Asides from my irrational loathing of Steam, that's even more impractical. Getting a game over steam would involve commandeering this well used laptop for an extended period of time to scout out games that look half decent and then spend a long period of time downloading said games on my sporadic and relatively slow internet connection. I would then somehow have to conceal these games until the relevant date. I suppose I could always print off a piece of paper saying 'I will subsidise the purchase of any three games that you fancy on Steam', but that seems a bit thoughtless and like he'd never bother to redeem that anyway. The convenience of having a physical copy of a game on a disc and just putting it into the computer and installing it was quite nice as well, rather than having to spend an eternity downloading it in the first place. Go away Steam, I loathe you.

First world problems.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:29 pm

I'm guessing that you and your dad share a Steam account. I guess you could, uh, set up a second account for the sole porpoise of sending gifts to the first account?

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Skimba wrote:Hello-oh-oh...
Any body here? Where is everybody?????

I'm here. Are you?
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

slydon
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby slydon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:24 am

I'm here too! :)

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:06 am

I'm always here.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:23 am

jvcc wrote:I'm always here.

Creeeeepy.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Like Nick said, you can send Steam games as gifts, which you could do on his birthday. He'd then have to download it, of course; how much of a hassle that is depends on the quality of your Internet connection. Or you could order boxed PC games over the Internet. It's been years and years since I've bought a game of any description from a real-world shop.

Incidentally, Steam is excellent and you're wrong for disliking it, MD. People's concerns and reservations can go hang.
SIGNATURE: GONE

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:25 pm

I can? Interesting. The downloading will be a pain, but I can work around that, probably. It's better than nothing.

I still hanker for good, old fashioned walking into a shop and browsing, though. Maybe that's just me. I miss when games came with actual manuals, as well.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Eh, I don't miss game shops at all. They were always pretty horrible places to go. You can browse, but I find browsing games to be an exercise in looking-at-things-you-already-know-are-shit. It's not like clothes, where any shop has a different selection and you might find something good; it's the same in every shop, and the number of games that are actually good is... small. I run into similar problems in music shops, where selection is often pretty limited and I've already bought everything I really want (seriously though why does no shop sell anything by Kristeen Young? She is not unknown). I just pick random stuff now. Places that sell second-hand CDs for a dollar are great.

But I digress. Manuals are something I also miss (I stilll have the Civ 2 manual in my bookcase at home), but I guess the trend is not to need them any more. Not many games were ever as complex as Civ, and tutorial technology has advanced. That said, I do find it nicer to leaf through a manual than sit through a tutorial; more than anything it allows me to find the information I actually need rather than trudge through stuff I know and breeze past stuff I don't. A lot of games split their tutorials into segments, which I find just makes them seem like even more work.

At least Dwarf Fortress has a manual now (of sorts). That was a game that needed it.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 am

you can still buy the boxed version if it's a steam game, but instead of the actual game, you get a steam client installer and a download code. if you still want boxed games, they exist, hopefully you can find a store that sells them relatively close to you...
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:18 pm

So my ex has got a new boyfriend.

Why do i feel so...i dont know... upset, i guess? Its like she managed to find someone else, yet here i am, 8 months on, and still single as ever. fork, i should jsut give up. Never going to find anyone, am i?
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:27 pm

That sucks, Ian.

I have two things rather lengthy blurts to share, everyone, so bear with me.

There is a male-to-female transsexual woman (we'll call her B.) in my class and earlier in the semester the professor called her "sir" when she was talking to him after class. She dealt with it really well and didn't seem offended. In class on Thursday he did it again, but this time in front of the entire class. I could see her cringe. The second class was over she ran out and my classmate whispered to me, "She looked mad" in a tone that implied she didn't know why. I then overheard my professor talking to a woman who had been sitting by B. asking if she knew why she was upset, and the woman said she didn't know.

First, is it normal for people to be so clueless about this sort of thing? Maybe no one was willing to tell him he'd committed a huge faux pas. Anyway, I explained to him, quietly, why I thought B. was mad. At some point I said something along the lines of, "So you can apologize to her if you want," to which he responded that he would not. I don't know if I said anything, but I'm sure I looked shocked because he went on to explain that you "can't always watch what you say around students" and some bullhonky about censorship. I told him if he called me a man I would be upset and he said, "If you called me a woman I would take it as a joke." I said I don't think that it's a joke to B. I was getting increasingly more angry, so I just told him it was something to think about and left. I managed to find B. on facebook and sent her a message and it turns out she was upset for the reasons I had thought and she doesn't really want to come back to class.

The second thing, which I'll try to keep brief because I'm ranting, is that I went over to my friend's apartment last night and was hanging out with him, his two roommates, and a sort-of-girlfriend of Roommate 1. Roommate 2 invited over a neighbor (who was already a bit drunk) and the neighbor's friend. Pretty early in the evening Roommate 2 went to bed, the neighbor's friend left, and Roommate 1 and his sort-of-girlfriend went to bed. So it was just my friend (who is, with no disrespect meant to him, small and weak), the neighbor that neither of us know, and me. My friend and I had been done drinking for a while, but this guy kept going back for more beers. Before he'd get another beer he'd always announce it, I think because he wanted us to say, "Aw, man, go ahead. Drink all the beer" or something. So he kept getting more and more drunk (falling over to the point where I was afraid he would get hurt drunk), ignored all our hints that we wanted him to leave, and talked about much he hated Roommate 1 for hitting on his wife. At some point he decided that he hated Roommate 2 as well, but I don't remember why.

The weirdest thing happened when he decided to go look for a DVD for us to watch in his apartment and kept asking my friend to go with him; I stayed behind. My friend says while over there the guy picked up his cat and it was swiping at his arm. My friend asked, "Is that cat declawed?" and the guy said, "No." He stood up and his arm was covered in blood and said, "I'll look for the DVD in my bedroom" and then went to the bathroom to wash it off. They both came back and eventually we got him to go through the joint effort of me pretending to fall asleep and my friend pointing it out and physically leading him out the door. That would have been around 4 or 5 am.

In summary, it was a terrible, terrifying situation.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:39 am

Professor: A dick.
Mystery dude: A weirdo.
ntw3001: Still large and in charge. I AM THE JUDGMENTALISER

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Went on a "church date" today after being introduced to this girl by her cousin via Facebook and she invited me to go this morning as our first outing. I thought it was a splendid idea to do a first date at a church, as it is a nice public place and your date will probably be on their best behavior. The Sunday School lesson was ticking me off, as the guy was talking like all the scientific achievements of man and all the knowledge we've built on with more knowledge was all bullhonky. Evolution, big bang theory, all of it one big lie intended to disprove God. I badly wanted to stand up and give them all a lesson that science has nothing to say about God because it only deals with things that are measurable and quantifiable, and that the big bang theory comes from the fact that the universe is expanding and it logically follows that the regression of that expansion means that the universe may have once been a single point. We don't know why it happened, it's just what we observed. We can also observe evolution happening in our lifetime.

As for the date itself, she is a very sweet girl, and very pretty. Her eyes are startlingly so, and I was looking into them the whole service and we just held hands and smiled at each other. Once the service was over, we talked out in the parking lot and she kissed me twice. After I meet the rest of her folks and they know I'm not an axe murderer, we'll go see a movie this week. So yeah, I'm in pretty good spirits today.

:D
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Sounds great! Best of luck ZP.

seanpuallynch
FIRST POST LOL OMG N00B

Postby seanpuallynch » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:13 am

I am a extreme gamer :D

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:58 am

seanpuallynch wrote:I am a extreme gamer :D

'An'
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:35 am

Skimba wrote:

'An'

extreme spelling!

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 am

IanC wrote:So my ex has got a new boyfriend.

Why do i feel so...i dont know... upset, i guess? Its like she managed to find someone else, yet here i am, 8 months on, and still single as ever. fork, i should jsut give up. Never going to find anyone, am i?

definitely not if you only dwell on how single you are. are you this negative all the time or just when you come to this forum? it seems like you only complain but i only know you from your posts here.

jvcc: it's tough dealing with someone like that, but your friend should not have gone back with the strange weirdo. when he said he was going to get his dvd the correct answer probably should have been "hey it's late, we're going to sleep now" until he leaves for good, then lock the door(s) and hope he sleeps it off. thankfully nothing happened other than some awkward weirdness

ZP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMnEpOsGH4o
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:45 pm

sum yun gai wrote:jvcc: it's tough dealing with someone like that, but your friend should not have gone back with the strange weirdo. when he said he was going to get his dvd the correct answer probably should have been "hey it's late, we're going to sleep now" until he leaves for good, then lock the door(s) and hope he sleeps it off. thankfully nothing happened other than some awkward weirdness

I agree. I would not have gone over there. I've also let my friend know I'm not going over to his apartment anymore.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:14 pm

What an odd thing to just burst into a random thread on a random message board and say. :|

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:31 pm

I read this and had to share. Quite a story.

Before you listen to this, please don't judge me.

First of all, just for some background, my mom died when I was born (she was also really, really hot, but this is not about her. I guess that's f***ed up to say but whatever). I actually grew up with my dad's family, because my dad has all sorts of emotional issues and bailed before I was born. So you can see, my childhood was really kind of messed up.

Anyways, growing up I always felt like there was a lot of distance between me and my sister. I guess it wasn't until I was about 17 or 18 that I started to notice that my sister was a hottie.

I don't want to go into too many details about it, but basically what happened is that I accidentally found a video that she made of herself. I knew she didn't make it for me, but I thought she was so f***ing beautiful that I watched it twice. I probably would have kept watching it a h*** of a lot more, except that around the time I found the video, all this crazy sh** went down and I had to leave home. (My dad's family who I was staying with got in bad trouble with the law. I never talk about it)

Sooo I was totally lusting after my sister at that point. She was also having bad trouble with the law. She was actually in custody when I left home.

My friend and I went to go pick her up. When I saw her that day, after seeing the video, I have to be honest, I just wanted to f*** her brains out. Looking back on it now, it's pretty messed up, but I think she had feelings for me too. She actually kissed me right after she got out, and it wasn't a sisterly kiss, you know? I mean, it wasn't, like, ridiculously sexual or anything, but it definitely wasn't sisterly.

After we left, we all went to crash with my sister's friends. On the trip there, my friend sort of implied that he wanted to get with my sister, and I got a little jealous. He's a good looking guy -- and even though she was my sister -- I just felt like he was competition. Not much else happened between us for a while except some maybe-sexy hugging.

Pretty much everyone in my life at that point was wanted by the government, so we all moved around a lot. I'm not saying that I'm proud of it or anything, but it was kind of awesome getting to see so many places.

My friend and my sister never hooked up I don't think, but I thought there was some serious sexual tension going on between them. It was around that time that I got really badly hurt in an accident. It was f***ed up, I almost died. But when I was in recovery my sister came to see me, and out of the clear blue sky she gives me this awesome, slow, passionate kiss on the lips.

Sadly (although I guess for the best) nothing ever came of it. We spent some time apart, and I started to get really religious, so I tried not to think of her that way. It was actually going well for a long time. Like, I was totally over her. But about a year or so after all that stuff went down, we were out sailing (not like a date or anything romantic like that) and she was wearing like the hottest bikini I've ever f***ing seen and it brought back all the old feelings. Sigh

A little while later she actually wound up with my friend (the sexual tension guy). I can't say I was surprised.

But even after she was shacking up with my friend, there was one time we were at a party. My friend was inside, and my sister and I were outside alone. It was a really intimate moment. I think something might have happened, except that I killed the mood when I told her that Darth Vader was our father and that I had to go face him.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 pm

That was brillliant.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:14 am

I was reading and almost stopped for the sheer below-average penthouse letter format, but I kept reading and saying to myself....waaait for it...waaait for it...and there it was.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

Return to “None of the Above”